V3 reads 238 gb micro sd card but only records 9 days

I have not tested any of these fixes. We have had reports from some people with V2’s that 256GB cards are now working. in those. I don’t believe the V3 fix has been released to the public Beta yet.

This is a common misunderstanding from people in general. There are 2 different ways to count the storage space…Gigabyte is using the decimal system, so a GigaByte (GB) is 10 to the 9th or 1,000,000,000 Bytes; while a Gibibyte (GiB or just G) is using the binary system and is 2 to the 30th or 1,073,741,824 bytes. There is a 7.4% difference between the 2 measurements, but they’re basically the same.

Usually SD cards will advertise in GB or Gigabytes because of the way it rounds off the data it looks like more space, but they’re technically rounding off higher than it really is. 256GB is more accurately stated as having 238.4 gigs of space available when you’re not rounding off in decimal system. It’s almost deceptive that they claim to be 256GB, but we all understand better with the rounded decimal system instead of literal binary…but in reality, almost all files are shown in the binary system, not the decimal system, so people get confused when they see a file shows how big it is in binary-ibibytes, but then they are trying to think it’s being shown in decimal-bytes when files and folders are rarely shown in decimal-bytes…only the storage capacity.

That’s why Wyze doesn’t say “GB” and just says “G”

Because technically a 256GB card only has 238G or 238GiB of data that can ever be recorded onto the card. So a 128GB card only has 119G or 119 GiB of actual real data space. The card manufacturers just want it to LOOK like a bigger number, so they use the decimal version to round it all off to a higher number.

In this case, Wyze is using the more precise and accurate format as they should. :+1: This is a very good thing. We honestly wouldn’t be able to really trust the data if they were using GB instead. It would be confusing.

Though it’s a lot cooler to say “YodaByte” than yobibyte…so I can see the attraction to Decimal system myself!

Now you know. :slight_smile:

</nerd talk>

2 Likes