[Updated 02-13-20] Data leak 12-26-2019

I’m really looking forward to the authenticator app two factor option. I know you guys don’t officially support outside of the United States so this will help users secure themselves. Great job!

3 Likes

Thanks, chanjma! We’re looking forward to it, too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try looking into the Wyze RTSP option. I have never done it but you will need to do some digging to figure it all out as it is not the most simplest plug and play type of thing.

2 Likes

The RTSP firmware still requires connection to the cloud on power up.

2 Likes

On you router, create a separate, new Guest SSID, with a new paraphrase (not open), and use MAC filtering.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Layer 2 switch and use VLANs to segment your IoT devices that way. This is more difficult to configure than a Guest network.

Once that is done, it will be cumbersome to put all of your Wyze devices on that new SSID.

Chinese hackers do not sleep or celebrate christmas! They definitely enjoy Christmas because most people are either out of the office or traveling on unsecure lines outside of wyze.

Or simply assign ip & mac addresses via dhcp to the smart
devices.

Segment off  (for example) 192.168.1.200 thru 255 or a larger

block if you have that many devices.
Not complex, but a bit time consuming.
But once set, the addresses are static and reserved, leaving the
balance of your network addresses available.

(but I use subnet instead, more complicated)

1 Like

What are you trying to solve by DHCP? Those smart devices would still have access to the other devices on your network. Subnet is different and would isolate it.

1 Like

Sorry. But as I posted a statement from Amazon in another thread. What you say is not true.

Apple is now being bombarded by iphones users who install the wyze app.
As the app talks to china with in the first few mins.

And because people could see the videos.
This will be the biggest GDPR to date. I myself have had 1,614 spam emails that is only used with my wyze cameras.

I am going to ask for my money back(cameras) plus damages from amazon+wyze.
Lets see whos side amazon site on ;(

Respectfully, I assume Wyze would be much more aware of the situation with its own products than a random customer service agent from Amazon who deals with millions of products. You already complained that Amazon gave you false information about the product, so they’re clearly not the definitive source.

Edit: Actually, I guess maybe that wasn’t you, but I saw where someone posted a question about international support to Amazon, and an Amazon representative replied with incorrect information. My point is that Wyze is going to be much more aware of the processes they’ve been dealing with through Amazon than vice-versa.

1 Like

FWIW, I use Firefox as my default browser. One of their security/privacy features is called Firefox Monitor which monitors for breaches and alerts you to them - especially if you use the browser or their “lockwise” app/functionality to store your passwords.

Long story short - their Monitor page (when accessed through the settings in the Browser) shows known breaches and allows you to search sites/companies. That search/breach data is provided by - haveibeenpwned.com

Again - goes back to whether you feel comfortable trusting anything/anyone/any-site online… but in my opinion, if Firefox is utilizing that site to provide security breach info, it definitely seems legit to say the least.

3 Likes

Can you please describe what you mean by “people could see the videos” and what spam emails, even if they could have resulted from the leaked email addresses from the leak in question, have to do with this?

odd, I have 3 email accounts I use for Wyze (all gmail) and it appears I’m getting LESS spam, Thanks Wyze! :grin:

2 Likes

Well, if we can’t blame Wyze for the increase in spam messages as some would assert I don’t see how you can give them credit for any reduction. :thinking:

1 Like

That means you’re a high-value catch for spammers. They have a separate program for those :grin:

1 Like

static ip addressing.
DHCP tables assure devices stay where they are assigned instead of
changing lease to new IP when other devices are rejoin or add into
network.
Effectively isolating the assigned IPs simply instead of using a
2nd or 3rd SSID.

As I said, subnet is a different animal.

That’s not DHCP.

DHCP reservation is what you’re referring to.

For clarity:

• A static IP address is an IP address that’s manually set on a NIC (Network Interface Card) of the device itself (e.g. camera, gaming system, laptop, smartphone).

• A DHCP Reservation is a pre-set IP that’s provided by a DHCP Server, and given to a NIC when a NIC calls out to a DHCP server for an IP address. DHCP Reservation is always configured by the DHCP server; for most home users, the ISP gateway or wifi router.

EDIT: DHCP (without any reservation) just assigns a connecting device an IP from within the available pool of IPs. For example, your smartphone might connect today as 192.168.1.5, but if said phone leaves the network for some time (typically a day or 2), and another device connects after the 192.168.1.5 is released back into the pool of available IPs, the new device may take 192.168.1.5. Then, when your smartphone returns to the network, with 192.168.1.5 no longer available, it will be given any other IP from the pool of available IPs.

EDIT 2: This works seamlessly for many users, and is intentional and by design. In many instances, however, a device - say a traditional IP security camera system - DHCP alone could break connectivity to the device, leaving us unable to connect.

In those situations, where it’s mission critical that the IP address of a device 1) been known at all times and 2) not ever change, we use DHCP reservation or static IPs.

Each has its benefits. If you assign all devices static IPs (that is, on each device) and have a router/gateway failure, you can be up and running fairly quickly - as the individual devices themselves know their preferred IP (static).

In the above situation with DHCP reservation, if the router/gateway fails, you will need to recreate the DHCP reservations within the new router/gateway. Could be an issue if you don’t recall what everything should be, or if you have dozens or hundreds of devices that require manual entry into the DHCP reservation table.

1 Like

And this is exactly why I only have reserved IPs for a couple of devices that I think need it, In my case that’s just my Pi used for Pi-Hole and my Tablo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure; I guess I forgot to mention that DHCP reservation can be used as needed; that is, as you suggest, DHCP can hand out IPs for most devices, while you can still have a single (or many) reservations.

I would also add that another benefit of DHCP reservation is the added simplicity of centralized management. Need to change an IP? Login to the DHCP server. Lot easier than running around your house or business, chasing down devices to configure them one by one.

1 Like