[Updated 02-13-20] Data leak 12-26-2019

Thanks for the update and clarity.

4 Likes

Great list so far wyze. I just find it odd that you are asking the community for feedback on how to secure your company products and services. Who are the experts in this case? The community or wyze or the third party security professionals you hired?

4 Likes

Thank you WYZE for hearing and responding to our concerns. It’s good to know you are working on the ability for us to change our email.

4 Likes

Hey, I created an account. How do I proceed?

Some of the very best advice can come from the most unlikely source. Also asking does not require you to take the advice. But it certainly can’t hurt. After all, literally everything they are doing was also asked for by the community.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, @rdnaskela23. At this point, we have not identified further leaked data. We will be sure to update everyone if this changes. :slight_smile:

@lukaszjski, we are a company that prioritizes our customers. The third party security professionals are the experts here but we also want to hear the feedback from our community and take it into consideration. We’re a team.

6 Likes

It’s like when I would open new stores and the architect would design the store and it would not flow at all correctly. And I would have to say if you were to work in that store you would be pulling your hair out. So you might as well get as many opinions as you can before you actually pull the trigger and put in the effort, the time and money.

3 Likes

Perfect, thank you for the clarification

2 Likes

Happy to help!

3 Likes

The 2-factor authentication should be configured so that when I link my Wyze to Alexa, Google Home, etc. I am required to go through 2FA as a part of authenticating Wyze. Currently, 2FA does not apply when authenticating to these.

9 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen please escalate my ticket 437622

Thanks

1 Like

I have not reconnected any of my Wyze products since the breach. I have cameras & bulbs because I have problem neighbors with unruly kids…cannot move right now. I need cameras, but cannot afford a wired system.

1. I would like an option to NOT have anything of mine backed to a cloud service. It seems like the low product cost may be offset in the information gleaned from the customers.
  2. I would like to know how to “partition” (forgive my ignorance) my router/modem to keep my Wyze products completely separate from everything else. I use a separate SSID, but also need to use that for other devices. Is this even possible?
  3. I would also like to know if other info was possible sent, e.g., browsing history, app data, etc. I’m sickened over all of this. My family is the most important thing to me, and I feel like I let them down by just trying to keep us protected.

Thanks so much! Blessings!

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Gwendolyn! Mistakes happen, but a good measure of the people that made the mistakes is how they respond to them and this looks pretty good.

5 Likes

That’s a good point. 2FA for third-party integrations as well.

4 Likes

Off Topic: I have grandfathered G Suite too and I love it. I use it across all my google services! Yay for Grandfathered G Suite!

4 Likes

Thank you for the latest update. I would like to see The Wyze response to the article:
Wyze Essay 3 - Vultr that has been posted on the 12Security blog. If the information is outright false, then Wyze should take action against 12Security. If there is any truth to the info then Wyze should clarify further. I’m hoping that they are way off base and Wyze will be vindicated. If so, make 12 Security admit it.
In the meantime the plan being implemented sounds like Wyze is headed in the right direction.

Consider this, if it is false and Wyze is considering legal action the first thing any competent attorney would tell them is “don’t talk about it at all”. Including denying or acknowledging anything in the article.

5 Likes

So, you’re saying they are considering legal action :wink:

2 Likes

Nope have not a clue but you never know?

2 Likes

But you’re right if they were considering legal action code of silence is the first thing that a lawyer is going to tell them to do. You don’t say “maybe”, you don’t say “could be” you don’t saying “we’re looking into it” you don’t say a WORD

3 Likes