Tricks played on camera

Yea our wifi has been crap lately. Idk how they do it. They have a drone I can’t c on the camera except for the pixels moving. And I can never see the person in actual person. I’ve also only seen him n pixels and have rarely caught his voice bc it’s too staticky. Idk I’ve been working on cctv cameras or maybe just an old classic tape recorder camera that cant be messed with with the technology. Its really frustrating

I think there’s a LOT of misconceptions about a LOT of things…

1. It is patently impossible to “block” audio, and not the video signal from a wifi based camera. This is not like an RCA connection for a VCR where there’s audio in two wires and video in another The camera is encoding (that is… taking the audio and the video and combining them in to ONE SIGNAL) that ONE signal is then broken in to packets and sent to the router. If you’re receiving video, you’re receiving audio. If you’re not receiving audio, you’re also not receiving video. There is NO such thing as individual streams by the time you’re seeing/hearing the resulting images/audio. Just as an FYI, The major method to “stop” things from receiving would just be to have another signal that is stronger than your router/cameras on the same wifi channel and in near proximity, but even then, JUST that alone would only create a latency as chatter on that frequency would be increased and wifi is not full duplex (bi directional at the same time); this would cause delays in receiving packets (with TCP), or missed packets (with UDP) but wouldn’t “stop” things… just cause jumpy performance, laggy video/audio, etc… same result as having a weak wifi signal to begin with.

2. As pointed out, there’s no “white box”… there’s no mystery signal, and there’s no magic reflection in any capture you’ve provided… you’ve shown blown out contrast due to your camera’s placement directly towards a light… This is expected behavior… Mount the camera in your laundry room ABOVE that window and angled DOWN (facing where the camera is at right now) and you’ll get amazing video.

3. It sounds like you’re on a witch hunt for something you believe your wife is either doing, or could be doing that you wouldn’t approve of… All I can say there is: you (as well as almost any other human) will suffer from a case of “finding what you’re looking for”. You see what you look for in things… if you’re WANTING to find something, you’ll see things that “prove” it to you. You’ll agree with things you ask yourself in your head, and you will build your own case for yourself. Its a really slippery slope and you’re going to end up exactly where you’re headed; whether or not its true.

4 Likes

Sounds like paranoia to me.

I agree, There’s nothing wrong with any of the sample pictures posted except for camera placement. They look exactly like they should with a window or light in direct view. Rule number one in photography, whether it’s an old film camera, a cellphone camera, or a Wyze camera is you want the light in front of and shining on the subject and preferably behind the camera. Cameras adjust based on the light in the frame of view and if there’s a bright area in that frame then everything around it will be overly dark. And if the light is bright enough, it will blow out the whole picture.

In addition, as for the hacking, even with full access to the camera, there aren’t even any settings to adjust white balance, brightness, contrast, etc. So forget hacking, even with full access there’s no way to adjust or change the picture.

As far as jamming? Yes, that could certainly be done with the right equipment, but if you jam WiFi, it blocks everything on that band and won’t alter a portion of a cameras view or sound, it will just shut down transmission of the camera the whole WiFi network and every device on that network along with it.

Regarding the video quality, everyone here has been correct, it’s about exposure - really dark vs really bright. You’re seeing areas blown out (too bright) because of the camera trying to expose for the dark areas. It’s like when you’re in pitch black and suddenly there’s a bright light, it blinds you because your eyes are adjusted for the dark, and you can’t see anything near the bright light. When driving in the day, can you see oncoming cars when their headlights are on? Yes. At night on a black stretch of highway? No.

Re the audio, the only thing I can think of is that they’re talking quietly and the camera’s mic is struggling to pick it up.

Re the break in video, do you have a micro SD card in the camera? If so, and you’re replaying that video, it cannot be due to any jamming. The only way to interrupt the video is by turning the can off through the app or by unplugging the camera. If somebody is acting maliciously and there’s a breaker panel within reach, they could interrupt the power to your camera, causing a reboot, and slip in while it’s rebooting.

What you need to do is test the lighting and audio conditions yourself. At night, turn all the other lights off, stand under that one light, and talk very quietly or whisper. Then go back and look at & listen to the video. My guess is that you’ll see the exact thing replicated - no tricks, just physics of light and sound and camera and mic.

My honest opinion is that you’re unlikely to be having any sort of jamming or tricks. If you want to figure out what, if anything, is going on in your home, you’re probably going to have to experiment yourself and maybe reposition your cameras.

Hopefully this is all a misunderstanding!

I have tried an sd card and playing back the audio it’s all staticky but the only time it sounds like that is during certain hrs when I think he may be here. Any other time the audio is clear as day. I also figured out that somehow they increased the speed of my videos. I have to put them n a player and play about half speed and then I can see what’s going on. But theres no way to change the recording speed in the app so idk. I’m still trying to figure it all out. I just know there’s specific times usually when I’m at work that the cameras do not operate the way normally do any other time.

They can’t modify speed of the footage records, and the footage being played back by you.

How about you get another cam that they don’t know about, and use that, place it someplace that isn’t obvious, or just hire a Private Investigator.

Yea it’s just frustrating and low budget. They work great any other time and then theres just certain times they go all outta wack and start acting weird but it’s not random. It’s usually around the same times. I’ve moved them hid them recorded without the wifi. And then it’s annoying that all the clips are only recorded 60 sec lengths so it’s so much to try and sort through.

I totally get what your saying. I’m having the exact same problem can’t figure out how to get around it.