The Long Road Out of Mobile Data Hell (T-Mobile?)

SOME of the ports are listed here (not sure this is all of them):

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053906532-What-ports-are-necessary-for-Wyze-Cams-to-operate-

Also, ASUS routers have a couple of tech notes in the Support section:

The still here-to-fore untried corrective switch is reverting BACK to IPV4, not IPV6.

Apparently though this is some kind of simulation in newer phones that aren’t natively supporting IPV4.

So two phones of the same brand both on T-Mobile produce the same result?That is useful feedback.

The problem I realized in the T-Mobile store is you cannot try a device without activation.

Try the IPV6 → 4 switch illustrated in my howtogeek post before yours and report back. I will do the same.

I already switched my phone back to IPv4, and that did not fix this issue. Also, this morning I was able to attempt accessing the camera via app on an LG phone on the Verizon network, and that did not work as well. That tells me it is something to do with the Wyze equipment/programming itself or possibly my router.

I have dug deep into my router settings and is nothing for Airtime Fairness or Smart Connect, or anything that looks similar. My router is an ASUS RT-AC66U. The base station is connected to it via ethernet cable. There could be another setting muddling things up when I try to access the camera through a mobile network (T-Mobile and Verizon), but I don’t know what it would be at this point.

I was in chat with tech support for two hours yesterday about this. They had me try a few more things, but nothing worked. I set the video quality to 360p. We verified my data speeds. I used Routethis Helps to ensure the Wifi was good. At this point they have referred it to “their team” to try and address it. /sigh

Good, you’re doing all the right things and have proved that in your case, at least, T-Mobile is not the issue. :frowning:

One obvious thing to try, if you have access to any other router, is to switch that out. If a different brand router doesn’t help, then it might be your ISP doing the blocking / throttling.

Sad to read. I thought I read reverse yesterday.

Perhaps you can appreciate my less experienced take:

• D-Link and Sprint worked
  • T-Mobile bought Sprint
  • D-Link stopped working over data (a known problem)
  • I bought Wyze
  • Wyze does not work over data

For this I would still be inclined to suspect T-Mobile, yet the only way I know to test it is on the AT&T or Verizon network.

You’re suspecting Wyze because it’s never worked, and I’m suspecting T-Mobile because it used to.

If D-Link never worked over Sprint I would have less faith in the other two, but if my problem is the same as yours I’m in the same mobile data hell.

Perhaps they need more testing in the industry for setups that work instead of claiming generally compatible products.

I am back on. IPV4. Hoping you find your different resolution soon.

With IPV4 both my D-Link and Wyze cameras are accessible over T-Mobile data.

@byronhu you’re hired!

(Instructions in howtogeek.com link in previous post.)

1 Like