The last straw

This was the last straw. I’ve bought hundreds of dollars of Wyze equipment over the last 3+ years, and until now, had been recommending them to neighbors. I can’t take the unreliability any more, I’ve canceled my subscription and am moving to a different platform.

Mod Note: This post has and reply has been split off so that what may turn into a long sub-thread does not distract from folks looking for information about the error code-1 issue.

2 Likes

Have you decided an a platform? I’d be interested to know which one and why. I’m also fed up but haven’t come up with a suitable alternative. I want outdoor wired cams and I don’t want to spend a fortune. Haven’t found any yet.

1 Like

Reolink nvr
At first wyze was working great then the stuff started happing and the camera’s would work then they started doing weird stuff on and off. Then wyze offered a pay what you want … failed, that disappeared as fast as it came. Wyze can not make up they’re minds. And being a customer subjected to this unreliable services. I have started to use a different service

I like ReoLink too. I used ReoLink at a former employer. Might be because my former employer had their network locked down pretty tight, but I had to VPN in to view the cameras and footage. Wyze has worked okay for me, mainly because I don’t update camera firmware or App versions until I see positive words on the Wyze Forum. Pay what you want is still available with a Cam Plus Lite account.

Out of curiosity as I’m not familiar with Reolink. Can you have the cameras at one location and control them remotely from another, the way you can with Wyze?

The ReoLink unit I used had 8 inputs for video cables. We had video cables running through the ceiling with cameras mounted up high on the walls. I would VPN in to the company network to view cameras in real time and look at recorded footage (if I was in the building no VPN was needed). The unit was setup to record any motion. I don’t remember it having AI capability. This was several years ago, so ReoLink units may offer additional capabilities now.

FWIW I too am fed up. I just installed two Reolink E1 Outdoor Pros (wifi) and I could not be happier. Software is a LOT better…and it has desktop software.

1 Like

Google Nest has been actively removing functionality for the past 3 years that we have had for 10+ years on their “browser” interface and “Nest Cam app” as they gradually forcefully move us to the “Google Home” app.

I moved to Wyze! after more than 10 years on Nest. Google Nest definitely has their challenges as well. … and no local storage…

interesting to consider a reasonable ‘low’ priced cam that has no challenges & adequate functionality.

1 Like

Short answer: Yes. Wyze does nothing Reolink doesn’t do. The opposite is not true.

1 Like

So, all of this depends on how you define adequate functionality. If you just need the basics, Wyze is fine - and it’s cheap which is nice.

I define the basics as

• can record without using the cloud - I would note that it’s either MSD or the cloud ($$) No options to FTP or otherwise save the videos off the MSD. You must manually retrieve them or take snippets on your phone
  • ability to bring up a view of a given camera locally or remotely

If you require any of the following, Wyze isn’t the answer

• desktop application (the only option right now is BlueStacks 5 and it’s janky at best)
  • automatically or manually save videos to your own local storage
  • ability to monitor multiple cameras - All methods are totally unreliable and will need manual interaction to resume the feeds on a regular basis (measured in hours)
  • ability to monitor more than 4 cameras at a time - there’s no control whatsoever on this on any of the Wyze viewing options. The web interface has barely had any improvements since it was released.
  • Have your PTV track motion
  • Third party options to counter the above issues. They have actively removed that ability. There are some work arounds that require you to essentially giving your id & password, but they suffer from the same ‘reset’ issues as Wyze’s own web/phone apps (and who wants to hand over your credentials?)

Since we are talking about missing basic functionality we should mention the garage door controller, door bell & the locks. They have no option to put a widget on your phone to open/close the garage or to lock/unlock the locks. The door bell can only ring one remote bell. I would give these a failure on the basics.

FWIW, I have two flood light cameras, 5 stand alone cameras of various types, garage door controller, doorbell and one of the solar powered cameras. I also have several items new in the box I’m not even going to bother with (all of this is headed to Ebay in the next few months as I replace it) I have had a ton of experience with Wyze and spent many hours trying to work around issues. Official support is pretty much ‘read the script’. Wyze expects the community to handle support.

1 Like

Perhaps … it is time for a
CEO Yun Zhang,
CPO Dongsheng Song,
CMO Dave Crosby, and
Elana Fishman
update!.. :thinking:

How do I get off of distribution for this particular thread ? tlhutch4

Right below the replies there is a control setting, I bet yours says “watched”. Click that and make your choice.

I’m switching to “Muted” on this topic. Hopefully that works…Thanks

• “ability to monitor multiple cameras - All methods are totally unreliable and will need manual interaction to resume the feeds on a regular basis (measured in hours). ”Actually, I never update my firmware and my cameras have worked flawlessly without the need for any “manual interaction.” I use six cameras… four V3, one Pan version 1, and one V3 Pro. (Updating firmware seems to be the kiss of death, at least from my prior experience and also gained from many, many posts.)

Think before you print.

Let’s be clear what I am saying. Pull up the app and put three or four cameras on screen. Leave it running and see if the feeds fail within a few hours.

I am not saying I cannot bring up a specific camera and view it. That usually works just fine.

And not updating the firmware is simply another red flag.

I am able to open/close my garage door with the Wyze software.

A few hours??? LOL. I’m lucky if it lasts a few minutes!