Support 5GHz wifi band for Wyze Devices

I have a TP-Link Archer A6 Mesh with dual bands on the same SSID with Smart Connect auto switching enabled and an extender with the same configuration. All of my Wyze IoT installed and connected to the 2.4GHz band instantly while my phone was on the 5GHz band.

You can log into your Optimum router and toggle your Smart WiFi on and off. If the router is capable, you should also be able to designate priority devices on each band and limit them to that band.

The Smart WiFi tech auto selects the best band for the device in question based on signal strength between the device and the router on EACH band. That means that the farther you walk away from the router, the router is constantly measuring the signal quality on both bands with that device. Too far for the 5GHz and it switches you to the lower band which is a superior band at distance. Since the Wyze IoT cannot communicate on 5GHz, the router can only choose the 2.4GHz.

Your Smart WiFi might not be on and the SSID you are using for your Wyze Cams is the 5GHz SSID which is why they won’t connect. Check your settings in your router: Optimum | Turn On Smart WiFi

I would say that you are having a poor router design issue rather than a Wyze IoT WiFi band issue. While @DeVoiDaNgEl will vehemently disagree with me, there are documented advantages for having security cams on the 2.4GHz band.

2 Likes