Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for rules

Have an option on scheduling for sunrise or sunset instead of a set time. It could easily be calculated based on night vision activation or deactivation from prior days. Maybe even call it something associated with night vision. This could be helpful in many situations. One example would be for those suffering from headlights. When night vision is activated is when headlights come on, so then users could turn motion detection off, and on again when night vision deactivates.

[Mod Note]: Request has been launched, but does not apply to Shortcuts. “shortcuts” has been removed from title.

I setup notifications during daylight using Weather Underground’s triggers in IFTTT.

My Wyze cam v2 is outdoors, and at night, the passing cars trigger the motion

6 Likes

Not sure where you conclude “most of us that view the outside world do so thru glass”? All of my cameras are outside and Amazon sells many different models of outdoor housings for these cameras. The mic, speaker and IR lights serve no purpose through glass.

Anyway, Wyze could also base it by time zone although it would not be as accurate. I have timers that have sunrise and sunset features that are very handy, so there are other ways to go about it.

3 Likes

There is a feature in beta testing now that will allow you to disable IR emission for the V2/Pan cams. That will probably make this a moot point for cameras behind glass.

3 Likes

Disabling IR emission will not stop car headlights from triggering alerts, so still would like to see a sunrise/sunset option to the alert schedule.

3 Likes

I’d like this, too. I have a Wyze camera inside a bay window, pointing outside across the front porch. I have turned off the IR lights. At night, the camera just sees the reflection on the window from inside, and I don’t need alerts on me walking into the kitchen, for example. It would be nice if we could disable motion detection when night vision is on. That way, the camera doesn’t need to know sunrise/sunset. I suppose the scheduled time works okay, but one would have to modify it periodically to adjust for changing sunrise/sunset.

1 Like

Vera (home automation) uses postal codes as the trigger for sunrise/sunset. For example you can set it ON at sunrise or minutes/hours before/after sunrise then OFF at sunset or minutes/hours before or after sunset. Have had our lights using this for past several years -works great!

4 Likes

Give Wyze bulb ability to check local sunset times, and turn on accordingly. And then turn off at a pre-set time. “Insteon” has that ability.

11 Likes

How to do this with IFTTT.

Yes please! Day/night options for triggering lights IN ADDITION TO motion events would be great!

For example, Wyze Cam sees motion outside between dusk and dawn and triggers Wyze Bulbs. But during daylight hours motion does not trigger bulbs. Could have additional trigger where outside bulbs turn on low between dusk and dawn, then switch to bright when motion is detected, and then go back to dim after a minute or two.

A trigger based on calculated daylight hours for given locations is probably best, although one that uses a Wyze Cams automatic day/night modes might work too.

9 Likes

For Wyzw bulbs this would be a great option. I have two bulbs for my front porch lights. Would be great to set an on/active time of dusk to dawn.

I am sure if this then that could cover it, but it would better to have all the basics built in. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like the new setup of the rules and schedules in the latest release. As an enhancement for the future in addition to an exact time could the option for sunset and sunrise be added?

This would be very useful for all those that only want actions of their wyze devices to occur only at night, ex. Wyze bulb come on.

This could be accomplished with either people providing their coordinates, or city, st as te/province.

5 Likes

Vera Home Automation does this by subscriber’s entering their postal code. Our lights are timed to come on x hours/minutes before sunset then off x hours/minutes after sunset. Same applies to same off/on to sunrise. One could have camera come on 15 minutes before sunrise then off at sunset. The sunrise/sunset postal code works well as you never have to adjust your cameras because of darkness

4 Likes

I just received the Wyze Plug. I like the fact it can be linked to other Wyze devices that are reasonably priced. I’m disappointed the scheduling feature does not allow for turning on and off based on sunrise and sunset. Now I have to reset the on/off times every few weeks. Please add this feature.

9 Likes

It sure would be nice to see sunrise and sunset be an option for time setting in a future release of plug software/firmware

7 Likes

Sunrise/sunset with a plus or minus time offset would be perfect. And badly needed, IMO.

9 Likes

This has my vote. I would love to see dusk and dawn along side the precise time set schedule too. This would allow me to move away from my Kasa equipment. I like the Kasa interface too. Just an fyi.

3 Likes

For your vote to count, select VOTE at the top-left of the topic. :slight_smile:

meeeh. NOOOB. Sorry. Voted. thanks.

1 Like

Wyze, please add a Sunrise/Sunset trigger for your WiFi Plug. This is a major design oversight as one of your competitors Wemo has this feature.

3 Likes