Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for shortcuts / rules

Every light timer (i.e. WYZE plug) should have sunrise/sunset functions, along with daylight savings time functions. Without this, I am painstakingly changed my WYZE plug light timers all year long. All I really want is the lights to turn on +/- minutes around sunset and then off when I go to bed at 10. Please add sunrise/sunset.

1 Like

I see Wyze had sun up/down control in their sprinkler controller.

They have the knowledge and software.

Randy

| tstuff
November 30 |

• | - |

Every light timer (i.e. WYZE plug) should have sunrise/sunset functions, along with daylight savings time functions. Without this, I am painstakingly changed my WYZE plug light timers all year long. All I really want is the lights to turn on +/- minutes around sunset and then off when I go to bed at 10. Please add sunrise/sunset.

2 Likes

Totally agree, absurd they can not add this to the scheduling functions. I have an ancient digital outlet timer that does both DST and sunrise and/or sunset functions and works flawlessly. Since I don’t need this lamp to be voice or otherwise activated, I abandoned the wyze bulb for it since I don’t need color temp or dimming. But for another lamp, I recently came into a free echo and I found that alexa has sunrise/sunset ability plus it auto adjusts for DST, so for our family room lamp, I abandoned the wyze schedule for it and am letting alexa control the bulb. Not sure what I’ll do with the other wyze bulb now I that I have alexa available, maybe we can figure out a lamp for it. Anyway, it gets tiring to see so many seemingly basic wishlist issues go on and on with little hope wyze will ever address them - either say it’s coming or it will not be done. Too many linger too long, at least those I’m watching. Of course we all have different priorities.

I would like to have my Wyze Plug go on at Sunset and off at Sunrise. I can easily set this up on my TP-Link/Kasa plugs. Does anyone know how to do this with the Wyze Plug?

1 Like

I have been using IFTTT to create triggers based on sunrise/sunset. I understand that many would prefer a solution that is native to Wyze, but this is a reliable solution that can be implemented right now. The learning curve of IFTTT is short, and you may find yourself trying out other automations.

3 Likes

In addition you may be interested in these #wishlist topics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can do it with Alexa if you have it:
First make sure you have enabled the current Wyze skill
Then follow these steps:

Routines
Select + to add routine
When this happens
Schedule
Sunrise or sunse
Pick the location you e want - I previously defined my address as’Home’
Add any time offset you want to time selected
Select weekdays to repeat, then ‘next’
Add action
Smart home
All devices
Select your plug
Select power on/off

Convoluted but it works like a champ. I have controlled my lighting this way for a while with no problems.

3 Likes

Some great info here! With either IFTTT or Alexa…can you set Plus/Minus times? An example would be having the plug go on 15 minutes before sunset…

1 Like

Absolutely with Alexa-that’s how I have mine set. 15 minutes before sunrise and 10 after sunset to allow for actual variations in daylight.
You are prompted during the steps above to enter any time variations you want.

1 Like

How do you turn on the plug 15 minutes before sunset using IFTTT?

I don’t use IFTTT for that. That’s part of the Alexa setup.
Steps:
Add new routine
When this happens
Schedule
Pick sunrise or sunset
Select time offset and days repeat option
Add desired action
You can use IFTTT but it’s more convoluted and not as precise or reliable. Alexa has been spot on accurate and I can also get notification’s if desired

1 Like

I do not have Alexa. Could you provide some guidance on using the offset in IFTTT?

Connect the Wu (Weather Services Underground) and the Wyze services. Use Wu for local information which will include Sunrise/Sunset times as the IF THEN trigger, then use the Wyze device of your choice for the THAT part of the recipe. Plugs are one of theWyze devices which you can turn on/off.

Defined offsets from sunrise/sunset in IFTTT - I am not aware of this being available. For my needs, the Weather Underground triggers are satisfactory. It may be a few minutes ahead or behind the documented sunrise/sunset.

If you require precision and distinct offsets, then IFTTT is not the right tool for you.

As far as I know offset’s are not available under IFTTT. They are available if you are using Alexa.

I’m an end user not a programmer. I don’t know IFTT nor do I have Alexa. I’d like an in app ability to select on/off at sunset/sunrise. I’ve had two plugs for quite a while now thinking Wyze would add new options to the picker wheel, no such luck. Does anyone know if Wyze programmers are working on these options? Seems like it would be simple to incorporate into the Wyze app. I own lots of Wyze products (cam v1, v3, pan cam, plugs, outdoor cam and scales) but I’m starting to become disillusioned with Wyze. Help

I used Wyze plugs to control landscaping lights. I regularly changed the schedule to account for the changing sunset times. Until I came across a competing plug with sunset/sunrise feature.

I also have Belkin’s wemo plugs and do it like them, will not reconnect after firmware updates and their app is not the least bit intuitive, so I bought Wyze plugs hoping to consolidate brands and apps but apparently going to have to part ways with Wyze on the plugs. There is another brand I’m going to try that I’ve been told works well.

No I don’t have Belkin products. The sunrise/sunset feature request has been in the Wyze wish list for a long time. Not going to wait forever. What I’m using now works well.

And not just for plugs, either. Their bulbs have the same feature, too.

So one year later and you would think this sunrise/sunset tweak would be a relatively easy fix. I guess they are too busy rolling out new products to deal with old boring lightbulbs. This is still an enhancement they need to deal with. All of the other manufacturers have this.

3 Likes