Strange behavior by Outdoor Camera indoors through a window

We have two cameras outdoor and they work well. We also have an outdoor camera indoors looking through a front window at the street. As it is inside we have it plugged in,

It keeps shutting down. I then go in, crawl across the guest bed and try to get it working again by turning it off then on, by pressing the synch button. It will then work for a while.

Oddly, when it is not plugged in it seems to work OK.

We have cycled all three outdoor cameras through this routine and all exhibit the same behavior.

Any thoughts?

You have a battery powered cam plugged in looking out a window? The WCO cams do not detect motion through glass windows, are you just using it for live view? If you want to keep that set up I would just buy a WYZE smart plug so you can turn the camera power on and off with the WYZE app without having to crawl over anything. Plug it into a smart plug, when the battery is 100% turn the plug off, when the battery goes down to about 40-50% turn the plug back on to charge.

1 Like

Yea, the battery outdoor cams are not meant to go through a window.

Depending on what is meant by shutting down, looking through a window has nothing to do with shutting down. Mine are usb powered and looking out a window. It works fine during the day.

If it really is shutting down, I would tend to suspect overheating since sunlight through a windows adds a number of degrees.

2 Likes

Hmmm… The battery-powered Wyze Outdoor Cameras are meant to slumber until they see a heat source pass by. Then they wake up just long enough to record a video, and go back to sleep to preserve the battery. A window would block the passing heat signature, so I wouldn’t expect one to work from behind glass?

4 Likes

Strange things happen when a camera is pointed through a window. If you live in a sunny part of the country and something passes between the sunlight and the cameria, even if it goes through a window, there is a temperature change an I guess it triggers the camera.

I am missing the point. I guess it is Ok if the WCO is a spare or an extra cam not being used outdoors but why pay more of a WCO than a V3? The V3 is on sale as of a few minutes ago at $29.99, a single add on WCO version 2 is currently $63.99 :astonished: I have a spare WCO I move around to watch critters in different parts of the yard just of a change of view. I have no cams in the house.

The point was to indicate a possible reason why a WCO might shut down - direct sunlight. Not debate whether it works through a window or not. I have V3 shooting through a window and have found them to be less affected by direct sunlight. While my other cameras are.

And my blink outdoor cameras are much better at recording suburban neighborhood wildlife as it passes through the yard.

It really depends on the quality of the window.

Single pane, yes the temperature on the window glass will be reduced momentarily and relatively slowly when the sun is blocked by a moving object or a shadow, but the cam PIR detects heat, not the lack of or reduction in heat. The hot window would be sending the PIR sensor into convulsive fits when the sun bakes it… Like shining a spotlight into the cam lens at midnight. Total whiteout.

Double pane windows would be much less affected, Double Pane sealed Argon Vacuum would be nearly unaffected as the heat can’t transfer from the outer pane to the inner pane. Triple pane, better chance of winning both the Mega and PowerBall on the same day.

1 Like

We mentioned that because that may be your problem: Seldom heat signature changes to wake the WOC up.

1 Like

My two :raccoon: :raccoon: corporate lawyers and one possum law clerk said that since the camera is not being used as designed, recommended and suggested, do not expect any sympathy from WYZE about the cam frequent shutdowns. :rofl:

3 Likes

They will say anything you want to hear just to get more marshmallows.

We need to lobby the Unicode Consortium for a possum emoji!

1 Like

The issue is: why would it cease working then work again when we unplug it?.

My guess would be because the Wyze Cam Outdoor is not designed to be a wired cam that charges constantly and is used at the same time.

It is a battery operated cam that is designed to be operated on battery power until the batteries get low, then plugged in to recharge.

If you are looking for an indoor cam that is plugged in and running constantly, I would suggest looking into purchasing a Wyze Cam V3.

1 Like

When we had this camera plugged in and looking through another window, the one over the front door looking at the entryway, it worked perfectly.

Now when it is charged, and unplugged, placed in another room, between the blinds and the window, looking out at the front yard, it shows a blue light and works fine. But the battery charge lasts less than 2 days. If I then plug it in, it immediately shows blinking yellow light and no longer works.

In what world does this make any sense?

I would suspect that leaving it plugged in continuously has overheated and damaged the battery. Rechargable battery operated appliances and gadgets require a full discharge \ recharge cycle or it will severely diminish battery life.

1 Like

Hmmm… A blinking yellow light indicates Travel Model is enabled. No idea how that happened here, but maybe:

• In the Wyze app, tap your Wyze Cam Outdoor, then the Settings gear icon in the top right.

• Tap Exit Travel Mode.

Or

• In the Wyze app, tap the Base Station, then the Settings gear icon in the top right,

• Tap Exit Travel Mode.

• Another option: Single-press the SYNC button on the Base Station to exit Travel mode.

Also, do you still get motion alerts thru a window? Windows usually block the heat source detection that a Wyze Outdoor Camera PIR sensor needs.

A V3 is a much better choice for a camera with easy access to power and looking thru a window.

2 Likes

As I said "When we had this camera plugged in and looking through another window, the one over the front door looking at the entryway, it worked perfectly.

True. We don’t see it recording videos. But we just want it to look out the window.