SmartThings Integration

If you only need one-way integration you can replace reed switch with phototransistor and drive it by a light source (possibly even one that is built into a smart socket). That way you don’t need to worry about wiring and it would be really safe as you are modifying a 3.3V device, not a 110/230V one.
To integrate in the other way you would need 2 pairs of socket-switch and some routines, but that would allow you to integrate Wyze ecosystem into SmartThings and, more importantly, have it running routines locally even offline. Socket turned on on one side would trigger an action on another side and vice versa.

Yay at last

1 Like

Sweet!!

1 Like

Using Echo Speaks, SmartThings sees the Wyze band, shows as online or offline, and sees it as a Music Player capable device. I’ve sent a Github request off to tonesto.

If we could just define as presence sensor, offline/online to present/not present we’d have a solid presence detection, it would enhance unlock/lock automations on Wyze Lock.

Side note. I am programming an ESP32-wroom arduino to use BLE to detect the band. I’ll post when I make headway.

1 Like

Love to here if you get it to work. Im working on Hassio room-ass and cant get band to trigger.

Why would I replace 150 sensors with Wyze if they enabled SmartThings integration? I’ve focused on cost first over the last 3 or so years I’ve been doing HA, and that often means whatever’s on sale or is cheapest at the time I go online shopping. I had moved in with my father who’s health was failing, and I needed to automate as much as I could quickly to help him and to give me a chance to sleep here or there. So I ended up with products from Visonic and Bosch and tons from Xiaomi as well as Nexx and Lutron and TP-Link and August and Arlo and Meross and GE and Gosund and Govee and Ikea and Sengled and Cree and Sylvania and First Alert and SmartThings and Fibaro and many others and … of course Wyze now as well. So, home automation on a dime I guess - had no choice. This means tons of other Apps come into play, especially Smart Life. This in turn forces the need for hundreds and hundreds of IFTTT applets that in turn feed webCoRe with rather complex web hooks. WebCoRe then decides what to do and synchronizes each device’s status in both SmartThings as well as the device’s original app using more IFTTT web hooks. Even though I’ve gotten pretty good at all this, it’s still a ton of configuration as well as lots of places for things to break or fail. My 100’s of web hooks are all generic now using only one single URL, but each one passes 4 or 5 to as many as 10 different “arguments” to webCoRe using Json. This at least allows me to keep my WebCoRe code fairly short and yet very smart as one script can handle many different types of devices from many different vendors. The configuration is all done on the IFTTT side using Json parameters. Since I want all these devices in ActionTiles, this also requires the creation of 100’s of On/Off tiles in SmartThings which adds tons more complexity & becomes nitemarish over time. So bottom line, if Wyze had direct motion and contact sensor integration with SmartThings (especially if they offered this for temp/humidity sensors too!), then everything above would go away for me for 150+ devices, and I could handle nearly everything in SmartThings directly with only a minor need for WebCoRe.

Ah but I dream …

2 Likes

This makes sense! I thought you meant devices that already have direct ST integration. The hoops you’re jumping through now sound awful.

I’ve just started looking at this, as I’ve made my way over to ST from Wink.

Ive been digging into the options, and while webCoRE, or some of the other simpler options, don’t scare me. The integration would be preferred so as to have fewer links in the connections.

I’m very much looking forward to this–hopefully in the nearer term. This has been on the Wishlist for a long time with a lot of support. Time to make it so.

2 Likes

What happened, where is it 2 years later? :frowning:

Well, they only announced they were going to officially start on this a month ago.

There’s also this pesky global pandemic you may or may not have heard of…

Didn’t see the bit about it actually starting a month ago, just the original msg that 2 years ago they were looking into it. Anyhow great to hear its in progress, very excited!

To be clear, they announced that they are “researching” it as a possibility.

Let us also remember that while they haven’t yet provided us with SmartThings integration, due too lack of demand and resources, they were able to provided us with a Smart Scale. So, be confident they are allocating limited resources where the greatest customer demand is. :man_shrugging:t3::rofl:

So Glad they are officially researching integration! I hope that one of those integrations will be able to allow us to use the cam for a type of motion sensor!

I would love for a camera to sense movement and start recording while triggering an event such as a light turn on, trigger a routine or automation, or something similar!

So I’m no expert, but I do have pretty comprehensive quasi-integration between all my Wyze products, SmartThings, and ActionTiles.

I sync WyzeSense motion & contact sensors as well as sound & motion from WyzeCams with SmartThings - from maybe 25 cameras, 20 motion and 30 contact sensors spanning 4 sites - and a few plugs. It just takes a lot of setup. Approx 100 IFFTT applets each pass 6 or so distinct Json parameters to WebCoRe including their building name, event type (motion vs sound vs contact), the matching device name (in SmartThings), the ST location name, ST hub name, and trigger time.

WebCoRe in turn evaluates all this and decides what to instruct ST to do. ST has an on/off button for each of the 100 IFTTT pallets which I changd to virtual contact, virtual sound, or virtual motion sensors in the IDE so that they look right in ST and ActionTiles.

I added some virtual switches to turn on/off custom WebCoRe text notifications - one for each Wyze device type at each site including separate switches for WyzeCam ‘sound’ event notifications. The custom notifications are a bit redundant with the Wyze app, but I do pass more info than Wyze does - and they’re super helpful during testing. They also make it so I don’t need to even have the Wyze app installed on a device yet can still get text notifications.

Here’s an example text:

“Sound detected at Building 2 on WyzeCam: ‘Bldg2 Driveway (Front) Cam’ at Sat, May 16 2020 @ 6:31:16 PM EDT. HubLocation = Site2. HubName = CentralHub.”

It’s a labor of love but works really good. Direct ST integration would eliminate a lot of work though to be sure!

Plus with Smart Life / IFTTT integration going away soon, another 150 SL sensors I’ve integrated using this method will all become hidden to ST.

1 Like

Nice write up. I’ve been thinking about adding webcore to my wyze>ifttt>ST>action tiles lineup, but right now it’s " if it ain’t broke don’t fix" so I’ll keep it where it’s all set at for now. :slight_smile:

Another utility which I found to be very useful for a majority of if then else etc. decision trees is sharptools.io Their utilities use a browser interface and they have a GUI that provides a clean and simple way to setup average complexity decision trees. It is a paid app, but worth it. They also provide a front end tile control panel that is a decent option for panel controls. I prefer it to Actiontiles for my panels.

2 Likes

Just in case you were not aware, there are multiple third-party re-skins of Smart Life which are keeping IFTTT integration. Brilliant Smart out of Australia is who I settled on. You will have to port your devices over to their app, but it addresses the IFTTT issues.

Link for iOS:

1 Like

Yeah I read that too, and I’ve actually installed and tried Brilliant along with two or three others (just have a list of about 6-7 six far lol). For some reason I can’t get my devices to import in Brilliant or Globe Suite so far, not sure why just yet, probably something stupid. The thing is I’m also seeing some posts hinting that these third-party apps will lose connectivity as well since they’re based on the same foundation or something, so I’m not going to bank on this. Either way whatever happens is going to happen so I suppose we’ll know at the end of the month. I’ve also seen posts showing a mixed bag in terms of 3rd party apps showing up properly or even at all in IFTTT. And of course each third party app is likely to support, at least in my case since I have such variation, a subset of devices rather than the full spectrum in the Smart Life app. This is all just conjecture though based upon what I’ve seen in really early tests. No matter what I’m not thrilled about what smart life is doing that’s for sure, short and this is likely to end my future purchases for Tuya products.

Well, since I finally made the move from Wink to Smartthings, I’ve taken a dive into webCoRE. Set up my first Wyze>IFTTT>webCoRE connection to virtually tie a Wyze Motion Sensor to a ST Simulated Motion Sensor.*

While fun–and obviously powerful–I’m eager for the simplicity of just having Wyze integration with ST.

*okay it was my 5th, because I played around with a few test cases. eventually, I ended up with a single piston that drives the ST sensor to occupied/unoccupied, via two IFTTT triggers. Three end points seemed better than four.

1 Like