SmartThings Integration

The decision was made to go ahead and get onboard with Matter. It is unfortunate because we asked long before Matter mattered. So now you’ll need new devices, and problems with hubs and, guess what, a long wait.

Great to be a contributor and user of the protocols, but still feel disappointed. Integration would have actually locked me into buying Wyze! But there it is…

1 Like

A bridge to Matter might be possible. Ugly solution, but…

1 Like

The more I hear about it, the more I’m anti-Matter.

Home Assistance is releasing a new BT/Zigbee/Matter/Thread USB dongle. It could theoretically be possible for Wyze to do something similar, in the same manner how the Sense Bridge used to plug into the back of cams with USB ports.

1 Like

I get it. I was so gung-ho about Wyze for some time and have a lot of their products but it is as if they’re just pumping out new products and updates rather than focusing what I believe is important such as integration, existing systems, refining their existing products, etc. I mean, for example, they now have three separate weight scales and I don’t believe they’re yet compatible with Samsung Health despite Samsung being a wildly popular smart phone or that I have to manually update my weight in the Wyze app for my watch despite using a Wyze scale. These are long-standing solvable issues that Wyze just ignores.

1 Like

That’s actually Samsung’s fault.

2 Likes

Now everybody is on board to Matter, now what Wyze???!
I know what you’re going to say already: we’re looking into what Matter would bring to us and looking forward to being able to get our devices on board to Matter! But no timeline on when​:upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

#nailedit

1 Like

We actually have been on board with Matter for quite some time. Matter has not set any standards for cameras so we do not know what it will take to get cameras Matter compliant, but we are looking into the things that currently do have standards set.

4 Likes

So instead of making a simple cloud to cloud integration with SmartThings, like Arlo and Ring have had for years, you ignored the problem, then kicked the can down the road and said you’ll support Matter, but now that Matter is here, you’re back to absolutely no plans. Got it.

Not sure what you are meaning by. Being part of matter makes products and devices more inclusive to other vendors.

Just a bit confused on what you are saying here, other than being upset that SmartThings integration not being in place.

This is a thread about SmartThings integration. Currently there are no plans to integrate with SmartThings. Wyze brought Matter up when they announced they are scrapping plans to integrate directly with SmartThings. Now that Matter is here, they realize cameras aren’t in spec. So there are no plans. What’s so confusing?

1 Like

I do know that this is a SmartThings thread but was confused as to your statement of no plans which read to me that you were referring to Matter, hence the confusion.

Thanks for clarifying.

As for matter and cameras, a lot of vendors are first starting with their hubs to allow for access to some or all of their product line. They will then incorporate matter compliant devices. Implementing The Matter standard is not a straight forward as many think. I am sure Wyze is working on this.

With that said, everyone is allowed to have an opinion and I appreciate what you are saying.

Yes please add plug and locks first at least, then we can control from SmartThings

Please be sooner than later… I have not and will continue not to buy any Wyze products (lights, sensors, door locks, cameras, etc…) until they at least integrate with Matter. I was holding out for ST integration but now that matter is here and everything is going to Matter (it seems).

I am not going to buy a product that has no integration with Matter only to have a product come out that does later and then have to rebuy everything just to get it to work with my other smarthome stuff.

If that means another product comes to market competitive to the offerings to Wyze that has Matter, then they will earn the rest of my business.

That is not exactly accurate. Wyze does have plans for the cameras and Matter.
When the Wyze VP of Product was recently asked about Matter, including cameras, he responded:

Basically he said they are working to have everything supported as definitions are added to Matter. For now, Matter is starting with a couple of dozen categories of IoT devices, and Wyze is working on having options for many of those.

Matter 1.0 definitions may not include Cameras YET, but Wyze PLANS to participate in the working group to develop the camera standards for Matter that are just now being worked on so that Wyze can help design the Matter standards and ensure Wyze cameras fit into it.

So yes, Wyze does have plans related to cameras being supported with Matter. But they can’t really give details because it’s currently in the early stages.

Still, one can read the responses from WyzeFrederik up higher in this thread to see that there is a decent possibility that Wyze’s earliest camera models won’t be compatible with Matter because of how likely it is that the other companies will require large libraries and resource requirements beyond the limits of the V1/V2 cams. Wyze applied for Homekit for example, and was denied because their early cams weren’t able to meet the requirements. I suspect something similar will be the case with Matter and that it will require one of the more recent cams in order to hold and execute the Matter Libraries requirements on them. We’ll have to see. Right now NOBODY knows at this time because said libraries don’t even exist yet. But that is very different from saying there are no plans. They are not the only company involved in the working group though. I suspect the main decisions will primarily be between Google, Apple, and Amazon. Even Samsung Smart things is a small fish in the pond compared to Google, Apple, and Amazon users (especially where Apple, Google, and Amazon are the main 3 Matter companies involved in the decisions). It would still be great to have better access to their rules engine and everything. I am hoping Matter helps SmartThings move away from being so cloud-dependent too.

But I too look forward to Matter allowing interoperability between ALL of these platforms! :star_struck:
I look forward to Wyze releasing whatever Matter device the VP was talking about and seeing where things go from here. I am glad Wyze is planning to to participate in the camera working group so they can help ensure their cameras will work with Matter and all the other systems when those definitions are finalized. It can’t come soon enough.

62 million active SmartThings users is not small fish. But it’s no wonder Wyze hasn’t integrated with them, with that thinking.

Absolutely embarrassing miss not building a simple cloud to cloud integration with the largest home automation platform in the world. You don’t need Matter for that. You don’t need to change a thing with camera firmware. You don’t even need to send a camera feed, just motion notifications and on/off commands. There are literally hundreds of these service integrations with SmartThings, from the largest to the smallest companies and everyone in between. But not holier than thou Wyze.

1 Like

My apologies for any misunderstanding. To be clear, I don’t work for nor represent Wyze. And I also like SmartThings, and I agree there are a lot of users that would benefit from this, including myself, and most of my family who use Smart Things, and I look forward to such integration, and as I pointed out, they are working toward this as we all want. I see that as win. I too am very anxious for interoperability to come as soon as possible. Since Wyze has told us this is coming through Matter, I am keeping up on that. I only meant to convey the point that Wyze IS working to make integration possible as is being requested. We should see some things with Matter operability very soon and it will be interesting to follow how that works with the SmartThings Matter-enabled ecosystem as well.

For what it’s worth, that’s exactly the integration I have working now with Hubitat (which is an all-local, reliable hub that is compatible with SmartThings Groovy code - and it runs the Groovy code on the hub, unlike SmartThings, which ran it in the cloud).

This is the app I use. It uses Wyze’s API to accomplish it’s work. Sadly, it needs to poll. But with it I can know about motion events, turn my floodlight on or off, etc. A useful thing is I have a virtual switch on the Hubitat side that I use to mirror the power state of the floodlight, so I can look back and know when it went on or off.

(This app could have worked on SmartThings, but SmartThings will be disabling the ability to add new Groovy code in just about 48 hours)

2 Likes

So, with all of the recent news about Matter being released to the public, do any Wyze products support the Matter standard yet?