Smarter, Better, Faster, Stronger: Wyze Robot Vacuum! 11/10/20

We shouldn’t give the impression that it is exactly the same, as it has no wet feature.

However, the software is definitely vendor-specific, and only starting under Wyze.

1 Like

Mine is on the way, Situation is very similar. I have owned a Roborock s5 for two years now (Awsome machine!), kinda wish I received the Wyze first, I’m afraid that I’ll be disappointed. Seen my first video of the Wyze ( aside from the promotional ones ) It reminded me of my Roborock drunk.:woozy_face: in the video it bounced off walls and table legs pretty hard.

1 Like

True True

Thanks @Newshound for the replies. Great suggestions, I will try adding some virtual walls.

Yes I have my charging station up against the wall but there is some baseboard molding on that wall too. It happened again today where it returned to the charging station but it didn’t announce that it was charging, so the contacts are not liking that spot on the carpet. I was thinking I might try attaching it to a piece of plastic for the robot to roll up onto so it sits flush.

Yes like @Newshound said I think the machine is capable but it comes down to how smart the software becomes.

My first impressions and questions -

This is my first real robot vacuum. The last one I had was a dumb Roomba back in 2010 :slight_smile:

Firmware update : As mentioned by Jason, mine couldn’t update the firmware on 31st night but updated it on Jan 1 morning. I am guessing it could have been a Wyze server issue.

Mapping : I am quite impressed with the mapping and navigating, seems to do a pretty good job especially around obstacles.
I do have a question on the map and virtual wall - the generated map of my floor plan is tilted at an angle while the virtual walls can only be rectangles. This makes it difficult to actually fit the virtual wall boxes to the areas I want to avoid. Is there a way to either
a) free draw the virtual wall boxes ?
or
b) tilt/rotate the map or the rectangular virtual walls ?

Eating objects : My vacuum got stuck on a shag rug and ate its own dislodged edge brush.
I had to switch off the vacuum and extricate the brush from the wheel.
This was half way thru the first mapping/cleaning and when turned on again, the entire map was lost and it started all over again.
Something for the developers to look into.

Battery and coverage : Was able to cover about 950 sq feet of mostly tile in one charge. It took about 110 minutes to map and clean.

Wish list :

1. Ability to manipulate the map and free hand virtual walls so we can manually tweak them.
  2. Ability to just map without cleaning so we can do #1 before sending it off to clean
  3. Support for multiple floors/maps (I believe this is in the works)
1 Like

I find it fascinating that the Wyze hardware seems to be identical to the Xiaomi Vacuum-Mop P. I see that the slots for the mop attachment and the holes for the water discharge and contacts for the water tank are all present in the Wyze Vacuum. I would love it if Wyze would sell an upgrade to allow the Vacuum to mop my tile and wood floors. Wyze could sell the mop, water tank and an upgraded version of the firmware to add mopping.

1 Like

A suggestion has been made to the developers to make the virtual walls more flexible (circles, angles). I do not know the status of that request, but wanted you to know it has been brought up with them.

Also, I think they are working on some maps being at an angle. I don’t have a workaround at this time to suggest if it happens to you.

Page 12 on my preliminary paper manual says don’t use the robot on shag carpets. Best thing to do there may be to put a virtual wall over it, or update it to something with low pile.

I love your idea about mapping without cleaning! That could solve some initial issues some see.

Yes, I understand multiple maps (floors) is in the works.

1 Like

I agree 100 percent I would buy the extra parts as upgrades to add the mopping features without hesitation.

1 Like

I would once the lil guy gets a better at following instruction and not blowing past virtual walls and I am confident in the map editor… Otherwise I’ll get some mopped carpet :smiley:

Agreed. Wyze has some things to fix with the software but all in all they did ok for their first run and the robot itself is pretty good.

Thanks for the reply and insights.

Yes, my plan is to avoid the shag rug by adding a virtual wall but given the
angled map and rectangle virtual walls, I can’t exclude the entire rug.
The wall doesn’t cover the edges and hopefully it won’t get stuck again.

BTW, I also noticed that the vacuum maps every time it goes out to clean.
Is that the standard/expected process ?

Once it gets a full sweep of your whole house it should retain the map. There are several ways to lose that map however, like 3 failed docking attempts.

I haven’t run mine in a bit, so if an app update created a new bug, I haven’t seen it yet. Rest assured if there is a new bug it will be fixed, because they want the map to be retained. On the 3 dock thing, I believe they consider that a bug, and are hopefully working on it along with the docking issues.

I notice I haven’t posted this here yet:

Until they fix the docking issue, here are some tips:

1. Try putting the docking station on a hard floor. That environment seems more tolerant.

2. Watch the robot when it goes back to the charger. If it fails TWICE, then the next time it tries just push back on the front of the robot to help it dock. The issue here is they also have an issue where if it fails to dock 3 times it will erase the map.

Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon.

Once it gets a complete map, mine does not remap. You can tell if the map is complete. If Room numbers are assigned, then the map is complete.

On one of my mapping attempts I got an angled map and the cleaning was at 45 degrees to all the rooms. This appeared to happen because of the location of my charging station. The station was on a small island knee wall and after going around the knee wall the vacuum headed out into the living room where some of the furniture is at a 45 degree angle. The first sofa that it encountered was at a 45 degree angle as well as a couple other items. This caused the entire remaining 1500 sq feet of map to be at an angle. By moving the charging station, and remapping, the map was successfully created at a right angle.

Excellent! My charging station is against a wall, which probably explains why I haven’t seen this issue. Thanks for the info on how to [maybe] fix angled maps! :+1:

My charging station is against the wall too (yellow bar in the pic) but still get angled maps. I also had the charging station against the wall of the kitchen island earlier and got the angled map then too.

I suspect it has to do with the layout or size of the floor plan rather than
charging station location.

As for remapping, the map & room numbers are retained but the vacuum does a once around the room (seen by white line in the room pic) before starting the actual clean.

Yes, the vacuum will often vacuum the parameter before starting the inside of the room. I think that’s so it can use the edge brush, and so it can make sure nothing has changed, like a door was opened to an area it didn’t know about. That is normal.

OK, thanks.

After reading your and dale4 posts about charging location and straight floor maps, I decided to experiment with different charging locations.

I reset my map and played around with various charging locations and finally got the floor map to be straight.
What worked for me was placing it against a long wall with no
walls or obstacles for 5-6 feet around it.

So, you guys were right, the charging location is what is making the map angled.
I think this needs to be fixed and called out by Wyze as the angled map is a pain.

Also, I really wish it had the map only option so we can get the map right without having to go thru the time consuming mapping + cleaning routine
just to get the map right.

Here is something interesting that I found. After the vac mapped the house instead of blocking off an area with a virtual wall I just closed the doors to the areas that I didn’t want the vacuum to go. When the vac finished cleaning I checked the map and noticed that it didn’t reset to a blank map like it normally would when I allowed it full access to the other rooms. For days now it shows the last vac cleaning route in the map. Its not a issue but just interesting.