Shortcuts and Rules with multiple if/and/or conditional triggers

Would like to be able to create a shortcut with multiple automation triggers. Example presently I have two shortcuts for a bulb . One shortcut turn the bulb on and the second turns the bulb off. Would like to able to do this in one shortcut. I guess would say I would like to be able to use multiple event/time automations in one shortcut.

I believe I used the wrong wording in my request. I would like to have multiple triggering evetns/times in the shortcut (i.e. turn the light on at 7:30 am and turn the light off at 9:00 am and the ideally turn the light back on at 7:00 pm and turn the light off at 9:45 pm) Note : sunrise and sunset options in the time would be great.

1 Like

For sunrise/sunset time triggers, hop over to and VOTE for this topic: Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for shortcuts / rules

I think it would be highly useful to have the ability to perform a task if sets of conditions are met. For example:

If the garage door is up + Itā€™s after 9p, then send me a text.
If the jewelry safe is open + the garage door opens, then send me a text.
If all contact sensors are closed + there is motion in the hall, then turn on all my lights.

Thanks.

11 Likes

Hereā€™s the situation I have and would like a set of rules under a single label (not 4+ separate actions):

if (Closet Sensor is Open)
   Turn On Closet Bulb
   if (Time is between 9pm-8am)
      Set Closet Bulb Brightness to 3%
   else 
      Set Closet Bulb Brightness to 100%
else (Closet Sensor is Closed)
   Turn Off Closet Bulb

Right now that relatively simple, and popular, action is 4 rulesā€¦ per closet. A stackable if/else system within a single rule would be nice, similarly to how IFTT worksā€¦ without the 8 second delay.

11 Likes

@robliberty

I moved your post over here to this more directly relevant topic. Note that it is ā€œin developmentā€.

Iā€™m curious: are you implying that IFTTT already lets you do if-then-else type of rules? That would be a new one on me.

I was thinking on writing a new topic, but this idea is close to what Iā€™m trying to achieve:

Creating a rule with multiple WHEN conditions (AND or OR) and/or multiple ACTIONS and/or JOIN schedule and triggers.

I will try to explain now with more details, I know others members can put their own examples:

Sometimes, a device single condition is not enough, and you need more than one device, with and OR or AND condition (coverage could be an example for the same device type, and complex conditions for different device types), to trigger an ACTION

Some Device trigger best fit at a specific time (Schedule)

For example, we want the light bulbs on the stairs to turn on WHEN someone passes BETWEEN sunset and sunrise (currently IFTTT but not available for multiple devices, just one per rule) or 6:00 p.m. At 7:00 am (available but as a schedule, not as a trigger). Something similar to this would be to enable this rule and disable it at that time or between sunset and until sunrise.

4 Likes

The Wyze app was developed to interface with their inexpensive yet powerful cameras. Itā€™s evolution has focused on that camera core. With the addition of inexpensive Wyze sensors, the app evolved to provide ways to use sensors to queue the cameras. This limited use of sensors is great, but falls short of the potential for the sensors. Now the addition of smart lightbulbs and plugs introduces the opportunity for Wyze to create actions. Sadly, the actions that users can create using the current Wyze app will be largely restricted to turning on lights when the sensors (including cameras) detect things.

I think itā€™s time for Wyze to re-think the app and evolve it from a camera control app with glued on sensor and light control features into a first class Wyze IOT integration app. Such an app would make it easy for users to describe reasonably complex logic. Like ā€œwhen motion is detected while Iā€™m away within a minute of my door sensor opening, turn on the lights, put the relevant camera into an active search and track mode, alert me at high priority and send a trigger to IFTTT for other actions.ā€

Though I realize that this sort of control might some day be also done through IFTTT and Apilio.io that is not going to cut it. IFTTT can only handle single event/action pairs and Apilio canā€™t interact directly with systems like Wyze. This means that the relatively simple sounding use case above would require that the user create a separate IFTTT action/event pair to forward each individual sensor reading to Apilio, a complex logic system in Apilio to express the logic, then an additional set of separate action/event pairs to send each of things that the Wyze cam should do. This explosion of events simply becomes unmanageable for even simple use cases like this.

I donā€™t think that a first class Wyze IOT integration has to be a be-all, end-all IOT system app. I just think it needs to be sufficiently advanced to intelligently support basic use cases like the one described above. Then, once those use cases are in place, I would expect to see a lot of growth in demand for more Wyze system sales as people start automating things like checking on the water level in coffee machines.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Add More Device Triggers for Wyze Rules

I have two garage doors.
I have a Wyze Cam in the garage
I have a Wyze contact sensor on each door

Iā€™d like the ability in rules to trigger an event such as (disable motion detection) only if both garage doors are closed.

1 Like

As noted in my earlier post, I use Apilio.io and IFTTT for automation right now. The application I use with Wyze is to turn on the cameras when I leave home and turn them off when I get home. I then use Wyzeā€™s current features to trigger cameras when various sensors sense motion. That combo works fine with the current setup.

I also have Hue lighting and am building other home automation devices. I use Hue with Apilio and IFTTT to program some lights to turn on and off when I come and go and others to set various lighting scenes depending on the time of day and whether Iā€™m home.

With the advent of cheap Wyze sensors and power switches, the first thing I would like to be able to be able to do things like monitor all my doors, including my garage door and monitor activity in various rooms. Then, depending on whether Iā€™m home or not, adjust the lighting and turn on various powered things as I move about the home or send me alerts and setup recordings when Iā€™m away.

As the sensors and switches become even less expensive, I would like to sense more and more trivial things, like closet doors to turn on lights and such.

Controlling lots of things requires lots of rules. Itā€™s easy to get lost in all the rules. The rule engine needs to be clean and straightforward and it needs to be easy to debug. For example, you need to be able to watch when sensors fire, intermediate values change, and various devices get commanded to change. Without simplicity, the value of the sensors and switches is limited to users with a lot of patience.

3 Likes

Example: Motion Sensor#1 have rule#1 and rule#2 to turn on/off Wyze plugs.

Problem: Canā€™t add MotionSensor#2 on rule#1 and rule2.

Workaround: Create exact same rule for MotionSensor#2

Problem:
-Why???

• Doesnā€™t make sense.
  • Not efficient. It adds clutter to the App.
  • More of the same rules will become difficult to track.

This should be a simple upgrade and doesnā€™t look like to difficult,

3 Likes

would it be too much to come up with simple programming for wyze devices?

Example
Def all_camera = (cam1+cam2+cam3)

If motion detected (cam1 or wyzemotion1 )then
Turn on(cam2, cam3) and send notification

If person detected on(cam3) turn on( cam1,cam2,cam4,cam5,bulb1,bulb2,bulb3,plug1)

If no motion for 30 min( turn on all_ camera)

Something like that can help fine tune to specific need

1 Like

To me this should be in the app no questions asked. I require Boolean operators in the rule triggers. AND, OR, NOT, NOR, etc. Though AND, NOT and OR should cover 99% of needs.

For example, I can set up a light to trigger with motion sensor OR door sensor. Currently I have to create 2 separate rules to do the same thing. And since there is no light color/brightness scheduling, I actually have to create 4 rules just to turn that 1 light on. And since you cannot copy rules or trigger scenes, chances are you wonā€™t get all of the brightness/color parameters to match.

3 Likes

I would like to see on option for smart plug, with condition ā€œ if (door open) .and. (Door notification on) .then. Turn smart plug on/off.
If smartplug is connected to a siren, you can then can setup shortcuts like standard alarm systems for ā€œawayā€, ā€œhomeā€, or ā€œhome/armedā€. Current release option triggers smartplug when ever door is opened. Adding option that adds dependency of (notifications on) allows user to create shortcuts that allow you to arm or disarm siren (door sensor and smartplug) before you open the door. Now you have a basic alarm system with siren that can be armed or disarmed like most burglar alarm systems.

Good luck. If this app was made by real programmers then that wouldā€™ve been in the first version of this app. Whatā€™s the point of all of these sensors but no way to use them other than single triggers? This is the single biggest issue for me yet itā€™s so obscenely basic. I wonā€™t buy anymore wyze toys until the app allows robust rule creation.

1 Like

There are start and end times for Rules in the Wyze app (and I forgot to update this post before, sorry!). However, it looks like this has grown past that request.

Do the start and end times satisfy this or would you like for me to send this back to the Wishlist? :slight_smile:

No yet

Thanks! Iā€™ll go ahead and bounce this back to the Wishlist then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Wyze fam.

I have a lamp connected to a Wyze switch, which is triggered during late hours of the day. The lamp is near my TV, so it makes sense to have it turn on when Iā€™m approaching the area for the first time. However, if I want the lamp to remain off during a movie, I have to turn off both the lamp and trigger. Otherwise the lamp keeps turning on if there is any movement.

So, the ask is for a trigger frequency setting to rate-limit how frequently it can occur. This would be similar to the ā€˜has detected motion forā€™ input, but with options for minutes, hours, and days. When a sensor is triggered, the app would check the last trigger event timestamp and determine if it should fire again based on this frequency setting.

Using my TV lamp as an example, I would set it to trigger only once every day so it only turns on automatically when I enter for the first time.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for enabling my laziness. :sleepy: