Share using WhatsApp

Android 8 and WhatsApp v2.19.330

1 Like

Just for completeness sake I added the app to my phone and my wife’s (sssshhhhh don’t tell on me) and sent a 21 second CMC event video from my phone to hers via WhatsApp.

I downloaded the event video as normal to the photos app, then sent the video as normal via WhatsApp. The file was 7 FPS and about 1.8 megs.

Both phones were running the iOS flavor of the week 13.2.3 and both were running Wyze app version 2.6.62 and both were running WhatsApp version 2.19.112. The audio was not playable however just the video.

3 Likes

CMC clips are downloaded without an audio track, correct? So if the audio codec is the problem here I would expect those to transfer without issue. So might a standard cam clip on a cam that is set not to record audio.

Can you transfer a 12-second event clip that has an audio track?

So far the problem has been reported on some Android phones, but this iOS test is useful too.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Let me give it a whirl, hang on.

UPDATE: Sent a 10 second (was meant to be 12) clip with audio to my wife. It did indeed send AND it retained the audio track and played just fine on her phone.

3 Likes

By the way this is what my Mac saw as info about the file.

1 Like

Thanks – it is using the ALAW codec like we suspected.

Now if we could just figure out what is different between @wah.jai99 who can’t send, and @StopICU33 who can.

3 Likes

The issue I find with Android is each manufacturer can and does mess with what Apps and Settings are standard for them. Unlike Apple there is no such thing as a standard messaging app for SMS or MMS etc. Android has just introduced RCS messaging which may in fact become a standard. The same is even more true with codecs and AV file format and support. The first thing I generally do on an Android device (and for that matter on a Mac or iPhone) is install VLC because then I get a consistent experience on every platform.

3 Likes

This is the error I’m receiving for those who are curious.

3 Likes

Are you by chance using any type of antivirus software?

Yeah that’s odd…I updated to WhatsApp v2.19.341 but it still works with no audio.

1 Like

No antivirus software installed.

I was once again told by support that WhatsApp is not supported. I’m confused and frankly, I give up.

Can you give us your ticket number? I would like to see if I can get someone from Wyze to look at this.

3 Likes

Ticket number is 382262.

1 Like

Hey, folks!

This isn’t the first time that WhatsApp has come up. From what I understand, our files don’t play well with their platform. So I guess it’s technically an issue of WhatsApp not being supported but not in an intentional way.

1 Like

You may want to contact WhatsApp for support. Have them explain why they won’t accept a Wyze video clip. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find it’s just a setting. After all, some people with your version are successful.

3 Likes

The team is going to look into this (I asked the product team about it). We made changes at one point so that it would work with WhatsApp so we want to look into why it’s working for some people but not others. Thanks for bringing this up! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well the person it works for stated he saved the video to his phone’s video library and shared it from that location. He isn’t sharing from within the Wyze app.

That is a big difference in methodology.

1 Like

Yeah, but

This has to be an issue only with Android. From the event video on iOS I can hit the share button and then select WhatsApp and away it goes. No issues, and I don’t have to save it locally first. But I can save the video or pick an already saved video and send that with no issues as well.

1 Like

The way I share the video is, I go to my Wyze app album, click on the video, click on the share icon at the bottom. Then send it to WhatsApp. Works every time for me.

2 Likes