Set up on 5GHZ

I have the ATT network and if you have the same ‘box’ do (Pace) it broadcasts 5.0 & 2.4 by default on one SSID. if you download their free Smart Home Manager app It gives you an easy-to-use interface for controlling the whole thing. You can split the broadcast into two bands- one 2.4 and one 5.0. I found that this improved performance on the cams, probably by eliminating the wifi’s attempt to first connect to 5.0 then going to 2.4. Definitely put all your cams on the 2.4 and definitely follow @gkrynick22‘s statement to have your phone on the 2.4 before starting setup.
The app will repeatedly tell you you need to combine the SSID’s back into one but unless you have a lot of devices and heavy bandwidth consumption you can ignore this. If you do need more, go ahead and move to a mesh system. (Eero from Amazon is what I use).
Good Luck!

1 Like

“Definitely put all your cams on the 2.4 and definitely follow @gkrynick22‘s statement to have your phone on the 2.4 before starting setup.”

Well, he has no option, the cams only work on 2.4

You don’t need to have your phone on 2.4, I just set up a v2 today with my phone on 5ghz and had no issues. However, unless ATT router is being finicky, it would be best to to be connected to 2.4 if the SSIDs are split.

Yeah you are absolutely correct. You have no choice with the cameras they have to be on 2.4 GHz. And I have a mesh router so I honestly have no idea what my phone is on when I add a new device. Sometimes it’s on 2.4 GHz and sometimes it’s on 5 GHz. But it always works. And I have a Netgear Orbi mesh router system

You made my point precisely:

I have worked with this box for two years. Sometimes my Wyze devices would set up correctly on a combined SSID and some of the time they would refuse. Split the SSID and no problems with installs. Added a separate Eero mesh and speed, connectivity and setup problems are mostly gone.
In the interest of fairness, I am pushing 60 devices and the ATT Pace combo box is just not made for that. I still use it as a modem but not my primary Wi-Fi.

2 Likes

Gotcha, sounds like the ATT modem/router is garbage

1 Like

No- I really did not mean to say that. I think that for a smaller number of devices using less bandwidth it is fine. I’m not a gamer but the cams do consume a chunk. I never had any problems until I got into the home automation scene. Had U-verse, a Tstat and a few other things. But when I added more and more devices i outgrew the design of this all around box. I still use it as a modem and have a couple of devices on the wifi. There are ways to optimize my setup - like bridging thru to my Eero - but I just haven’t needed to so I haven’t -yet! .

1 Like

I work for a ISP, typically the modems are cheap and can’t handle a lot of connections, it sounds like ATT uses similar junk…there should not be this issue adding a wyzecam with a combined SSID, I haven’t seen many people complain about it with Wyze but definitely on other brands.

1 Like

What can I say-ATT is what it is At least in my area it seems to be the best game in around. I have their fiber optic gigabyte internet which is pretty good. Tech support has ranged from an absolute moron who came to my house and wasted my time and his on ATT’s dime to another guy who was sharp as a tack - quickly figured out my problem was a dirty fiber optic cable connector in the distribution box up the block. Phone Support is, as usual, a matter of working your way up the chain and hoping for the best.
The combined SSID is an interesting problem. I went back and forth trying to determine if it was the problem and finally decided that performance seemed better with split and setup was never a problem. Combined I would have setup issues randomly and more connectivity issues. With the Eero there is no option to split (that I have found) but I’ve had absolutely no problems.

1 Like