RTSP for V3

He isn’t. He just gets engineering samples regularly. Haha.

I want to add my name to the MILLIONS of users that bought v3 on the assumption they did or would quickly support RTSP output. All the users that are reported to NOT use RTSP are just uninformed of its wonderful capabilities or are technically ignorant. I am going to send all my recently purchased v3s back.

1 Like

I would have to say the number of users wanting rtsp is probably much higher that being reported.

I really just don’t feel like enough of the population is dumb enough to actually buy cam+ subscriptions and not realize all the amazing options out there.

I also don’t believe people see all the capabilities that are available and say “yea cam+ sounds better for me”.

I doubt people are thinking to themselves “well I feel like I need more safety for my home so let me buy this product that relies on somebody else to have a server running, and that their power doesn’t go out, and that their internet does not go down, and that my internet does not go down, and all of the other factors in between.”

Unless wyzes target audience is of those that stormed the capital then I really have my doubts that there are truly very few people wanting rtsp.

I want RTSP (is that a surprise?), and I want it as part of the main firmware code branch.

But I’m realistic. I really think the people who want RTSP ars really just a small percentage. It just happens that they’re the loudest.

Even better if Wyze implements onvif.

1 Like

I think a lot of people just want to avoid the cloud thing. Not because of cost but fear of someone watching them. My desire for RTSP is privacy and the gazillions of features I can add with my own solution that Wyze hasn’t offered yet. For example face detection. I managed to use the kroo/wyzecam project to pull the local stream from the camera (without any hacks to the camera) and feed it to a Nginx RTMP server and then from there I can pull the stream into just about any software I want. I’ve had my Wyze Cam V3 and Doorbell feed into Frigate and Homebridge for two days now and it’s rock solid. I even moved the V3 to a new location so it was offline for about 5mins and once back online Frigate picked it right back up without any intervention on my part. So I’m happy. Bellow you can see a screenshot of the official Wyze app at the top and the my RTMP feed into Homebridge at the bottom. Notice the timestamps between the RTMP stream and the official stream. :slight_smile:

Only problem is I could see Wyze defeating this in the future and I understand their stance. They are a biz and the price of the camera is subsidized by some percentage of users who will buy CAM+. So I’ve ordered some Amcrest cameras to replace the Wyze Cam. :slight_smile: I will keep my Doorbell and will keep the CAM+ service on it.

1 Like

And what platform are all of these running on?

Any real big difference between this and the fiveleaves stream hack?

Haha, I WISH! On the bright side, not getting chosen allows a lot of freedom to talk about and guess about things without NDA limitations.

It’s my understanding that for the most part those things are more like a lottery based on Wyze’s demographic needs, so I don’t expect to get chosen much for those engineering tests, but it’s all good. I was in here talking in the forums even back when tests were exclusively on Facebook, which 100% excluded me from any testing since I haven’t had a Facebook account for over a decade, and so even when they recently moved testing to wyze-testing.centercode.com it’s made 0 difference in my forum activity. I’m just being me. I don’t mind paying for my own gadgets since I have the money to do so. Wyze’s affordable prices and low profit margins just allow me to get a lot more things than I otherwise would.

I’ve two Amcrest Floodlight Cams, and two Amcrest Pan Tilt Cams. While I can view them in Blue Iris, and on my QNAP QVR NVR app, I cannot set them up to be viewed on my Amazon Echo Show, unless I subscribe to their cloud service (Wyze is not the only one looking to milk the cow here and there).

So, make sure you do your research on what you are getting with another’s manufacture… It may or may not meet your needs.

Amcrest doorbell camera was utter crap… I returned that one to MicroCenter (their RMA process was brutal… easier to drive one hour to MicroCenter and return it)

The Amcrest Camera’s are RTSP and ONVIF… (I’ll verify when I get home from work)

SJ

Do the Amcrest cameras have the sensor equivalent of Wyze color night vision?

Sounds like wyze might be getting close to getting some firmware out. I can hold out a little while… but thanks for the info

Looks like it. Here’s one that’s 5 Megapixels with a starlight sensor and wide dynamic range. About twice the price of a V3 but possibly twice as good?

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-5-Megapixel-NightVision-Weatherproof-IP5M-T1179EW-28MM/dp/B083G9KT4C

Only problem is I could see Wyze defeating this in the future

If that becomes a problem then we’ll all know why it really took so long for RTSP.

If/when the kroo library is packaged so that we can (easily) set up a DIY bridge, it will be better than the official v3 RTSP firmware per the announcement posted earlier since we won’t get stuck on an old, rarely-updated, buggy, alternate firmware like we did with v2 RTSP.

Is there some more beginner friendly documentation / video on how to install and configure the kroo/wyzecam project? Seems like it could be a really nice alternative. I’m actually installing Ubuntu now on a dual boot pc. But I’ll be darned if I can figure out, from the documentation on this site, how to install and use this: GitHub - kroo/wyzecam: Python package for streaming video from wyze cameras over the local network

Wow. How do you view that livestream on a cell phone? Even low-res video is jerky on 4G.

1 Like

I’m running it on Debian but nothing is stopping you from running it in WSL2 on Windows 10 if you don’t have a dedicated Linux box.

kroo/wyzecam uses the official TUTK library to access the native local stream where as FiveLeavesLeft/WyzeCameraLiveStream is a hack that needs to be applied to the camera which then servs the raw frames as an HTTP stream. Because kroo/wyzecam accesses the stream the same way the Wyze App does, it works on all cameras including the doorbell. FiveLeavesLeft/WyzeCameraLiveStream on the other hand bricked my Doorbell (I have a new one coming on Friday). kroo/wyzecam is more future proof and not as hacky.

1 Like

This is the exact model I ordered and so far it sucks at night, Frigate will detect a “person” the second I enter the frame from about 100 ft away on the sidewalk across the street when consuming the feed from my V3. This Amcrest ghosts so bad in low light that Frigate doesn’t see a person until I am about 5 ft from it. It can’t even pick up a car passing by at just 20 ft away. In the daytime it blows away the V3 though. There are lots of settings on this camera so hopefully I will find a magic combination that works better. I saw a video on YouTube from this camera which looked really impressive and didn’t ghost at all so I really don’t know how mine is so bad.

1 Like

This sounds major cool, and the first really good news in this thread in months. But, can you point us to some step by step instructions on how to implement kroo/wyzecam? The “Basic Usage” says “streaming in 11 lines of code”. But, where the heck does THIS go?

Streaming video in 11 lines of code!

import os

import cv2
import wyzecam

auth_info = wyzecam.login(os.environ[“WYZE_EMAIL”], os.environ[“WYZE_PASSWORD”])
account = wyzecam.get_user_info(auth_info)
camera = wyzecam.get_camera_list(auth_info)[0]

with wyzecam.WyzeIOTC() as wyze_iotc:
with wyze_iotc.connect_and_auth(account, camera) as sess:
for (frame, frame_info) in sess.recv_video_frame_ndarray():
cv2.imshow(“Video Feed”, frame)
cv2.waitKey(1)

My ubuntu server is almost installed and I have located plenty step-by-step instructions for Ngnix. Just not sure about the kroo/wyzecam deal.

I made some fairly detailed notes on installing it here: Detailed Linux (Debian) install notes · Issue #52 · kroo/wyzecam · GitHub

And there are lots of articles on setting up Nginx as an RTMP server out there. I also posted a Python app that uses kroo/wyzecam to pipe the raw frames over to ffmpeg which then sends the frames to your RTMP server. You can find that here: Feed Wyze stream into RTMP server · Issue #56 · kroo/wyzecam · GitHub

I’m not a Python guy so it took a bit to understand how the package management system (pip) works and how virtual environments work. I’m also not a Nginx guy but that part was well documented so it was easy to setup. It literally took me 1 hour to spin up Nginx and then write the Python app to pipe the frames. It took me much longer to figure out how to get my Python environment sorted out though. Hahaha.

1 Like