Resolution changes to HD

I’ve had the floodlight pro for about two weeks now and one thing I’ve noticed is that many times when I open the live stream of the device , the resolution is changed to HD by itself.

I have to constantly change it to 2K, it happens very frequently on its own.

The app version I’m running is: V2.46.0 (368)

Floodlight pro FW: 2.1.999

3 Likes

Same thing happens to me in my new battery cam pro. It also never keeps sound on. You have to turn sound on each time you open the live view.

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue with one of mine. Did you ever figure it out?

3 Likes

I can confirm that I see this issue frequently too.

My guess is that the camera does this when it detects that the dBm (signal quality) dips below a certain threshold. Maybe something like if the dBm is worse than -70dBm, the camera switches the resolution from 2K to HD automatically to ensure there aren’t problems with the cloud uploads or live stream and have people complain about the problems that come from that (trying to upload high-resolution video with a weak signal can cause failed uploads and intermittent video).

I wish it wouldn’t do that though. I would prefer a setting toggle. I believe I have seen this on other cameras from other companies offering an option to change the resolution based on the signal quality. But they made it an option.

3 Likes

I can confirm that yes, this is the reason why. Would rather you not miss an event than force 2K and there’s an interruption in upload.

I think BCP does this too. Do you really want a toggle?

4 Likes

Yes the BCP also suffers from this.

2 Likes

Absolutely would love a toggle!
This is how another company does the setting:

I would prefer you start it on “Auto” by default, but allow others of us to change it to whatever other quality we want. Maybe you could even give a notification (not every day or anything…) to someone when the dBm is bad enough that you believe it is negatively impacting their experience, and recommend they switch from High/2K to Auto or Medium/HD.

This is especially important for cameras that can use 5GHz. a slightly lower dBm on 5gHz can often have better bandwidth than a worse dBm on 2.4GHz where it would be more important to keep a higher dBm. Sometimes I want to force the camera to stick with a high quality because I have tested it and know it’s fine staying in 2K there.

I do not like it switching to 1080p when I know it’s always been fine on 2K at 5GHz.

But I think an Auto setting would be good for 90% of users, so I do think it should default to an auto setting. I think you should just give users a disclaimer if they try to switch off of auto to force high quality.

5 Likes

@WyzeMatt

I think this would be a great feature!

4 Likes

@carverofchoice could you please confirm the app and firmware versions when you experience this issue? I just talked to our development team and this may be a new app bug because FLP does not support the feature that the resolution auto-switches to HD when a weak signal is detected. The default setting is always 2K when it connects to the live stream.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. We are actually evaluating adding an Auto mode option on FLP recently to improve the experience when the user’s wifi network is not stable.
We will definitely keep the 2K and HD options so users can stick with their preferred settings.

6 Likes

What a boss. Thanks for chiming in on this @WyzeHongfei.

5 Likes

I’m always showing 3 bars for signal strength, yet it still automatically switches from 2K to HD.

2 Likes

2 Likes

It happens to me intermittently. I just checked right now and it stayed on 2K, but I recently updated to the x.0.b376 app. I will keep an eye out and try to capture it on video for you along with app and firmware versions and a log. I have seen it regularly, often at night, but not 100% of the time. When it happens again I’ll try to get you info to help you see it & or replicate it.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Va-Jay-Jay. Do you see this issue in the standalone FLP plugin page OR your camera group view & enter the plugin page from the camera group? (In the camera group view, the default resolution is the lowest to ensure a smooth group view)

3 Likes

I grouped all my home cameras into a Home group. When I open the Wyze app, I click on my Home group. Then, I select the camera. This is how I use all my cameras. Is this why it’s defaulting to HD? Does this mean that if I want my FLPs to stay on 2K, that I have to ungroup it?

When you enter a specific camera from your camera group, it should stay with the resolution option you selected whether it is 2K or HD. Did you use the latest version of Android app and experience this issue? If yes, can you submit an app log and let me know the log ID?

This may be a place to interject something I’ve noticed that may be related.

This thread is about the resolution changing by itself. In this case, the camera says outright it has changed the resolution. Also this issue may be related to only 2k cameras.

One theory is signal strength, but in a separate matter I experience a degradation of resolution on all cameras (currently all 1080p V3s). Further, the resolution erroneously says ‘HD’, but is more like 360p.

If I re-select HD, the image improves.

So not clear it is related to signal strength, as most all of mine should have great signals. Further, the resolution isn’t always degraded, but often is when going from group mode to individual mode.

This problem persists for me on iOS at least (don’t go individual on Android, and don’t have an approved platform for that).

iOS is iPhone 13 on iOS 17.2.

3 Likes

I have the same issue since months on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Don’t have it on my old iPhone 6. Even if it is written HD, it’s not. I have to select HD again or click settings and come back to have the « real » HD. Happened on my V2s, V3s and Pans V1s.

3 Likes

Came here because I’m seeing the same issue. I just got a second v3 pro and I’m noticing that it’s defaulting to 360p. I do have the cameras grouped and all of them are doing this. Two v3 pros and one v3 pan cam. I’m going to u group them and see if that makes a difference. The new v3 pro is defaulting more often than the first one I got.

2 Likes