Require existing account to release camera before it can be set up on new account

Not an impressive debut.

I agree, but it could be implemented as an option, like CreditReport.com did.
You can lock your Credit Account for free but it cost $10 to unlock it to release a report. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Relates to wyze product wishlist how exactly?

Very childish to disagree with my post when you haven’t given a single benefit to users that would make it worth prioritising this feature over others.

Denying use of stolen goods…now what is the benefit of that? I wonder.

Since you’ve let your ego get the better of you and reverted to name calling, what’s childish are your prior dismissive comments and an ego driven pursuit with that bloke, disguised as needing an explanation of the obvious :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

If you disagree with this feature then simply don’t vote for it. Have a lovely day

No one has overtly violated the Community Guidelines as of this point but the discussion has come very close. Please adhere to the Guidelines in general and in particular the following:

Sometimes We Disagree And That’s Okay

Sometimes we will disagree on topics. You may even think that the other person is outright wrong! That’s just part of being human talking to other humans. But when you respond, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks instead of discussing content of a post)
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that focus on the ideas instead of the person. If someone has something negative to say about Wyze or our products, there’s likely a reason for that. Just tag in a mod or admin to make sure that the feedback goes where it needs to and we have an opportunity to consider and respond to what they’re saying.

Thank you for your contributions and time!

1 Like

Jason, no ego here.

I stand by what I said. This feature doesn’t bring any benefit that makes it worth prioritising over other new features that could be added.

Whilst it may give you some satisfaction to deny a thief the use of your stolen camera that’s not a benefit that’s worth prioritising over others that have been suggested.

I’m not being dismissive here, show me a benefit of this feature that makes it worth adding over the others and I will gladly vote for it.

1 Like

For Wyze outdoor products such as cameras and plug outdoor, possible Wyze should record the MAC address of equipment against your account in case it’s stolen. This would assist retrieving your equipment.

You can’t trace stolen equipment through a MAC address because routers don’t share them outside your local area network.

This is because doing so could make your hardware physically locatable to remote attackers which is a very bad thing.

Also MAC addresses aren’t always unique and can often be changed in the software so just aren’t a reliable way to trace or even identify stolen equipment.

I still agree with you that the whole idea is bad, but in truth the cameras are perfectly capable of reporting their own MAC address whenever they phone home to Wyze servers, which they do frequently. (They may already log the MAC or another unique ID.)

That service is available for Intel based platforms but the annual subscription cost more then a Wyze camera. Further, once it was exploited, the hack gave core access to the attacker.

A similar service is available for Garmin map products. Once you register your device to get updates and warranty you can also report it stolen. Once you submit a police report with the DR number, Garmin will supposedly prevent the theif from getting map and f/w updates.
Not only is this a lot of work but what does the thief care?

These products fall into obsolescence so quickly it is hardly worth the bother. Any means of protection is also an avenue to brick your device. Most stolen goods are not of any use to the thief, they just do it because they can.

1 Like

I don’t see how anyone can think it’s a good idea after that.

1 Like

Hello HDRock. How do you access the cloud recorded events after the camera is stolen?

You just start your Wyze app as usual and check the Events tab as usual.

Wouldn’t be nice if your stolen Wyze Cam could be bricked (disabled) if stolen?

Samsung has just done this to a lot of stolen smart TV’s stolen from a warehouse.
Samsung Bricks stolen Smart TV’s

@bryonhu is you want, they can. @mods, mergy this with the above linked wishlist? Tia! :slight_smile:

Just a tidbit of updated info…

Since this was posted, the events now stay with the account once uploaded, they do not get deleted if the camera moves accounts.

Prevent Stolen Camera Activation

Once a camera is stolen it can be activated by the thief and the owner loses all the data on it. The owner will not be able to view who stole the camera. Thieves know this about Wyze cameras making them a great camera to steel. :imp:

Engineers should create a protocol allowing owners to log in to activate owned cameras. Once a camera is added to an account a code to manage/activate/control the camera should be created by the owner. This would prevent a thief from activating a stolen camera.

For example, once I purchase a camera, I would enable a security feature that required a special code to manage my camera. The feature would be accessed within my Wyze account. If my camera were stolen no one would be able to activate or manage it. I could access the footage of the camera being stolen. I could file a police report with this. :nerd_face:

Right now the only wyze cam that can’t be used if stolen Is the wireless outdoor camera, the only way the camera can be used is the base/hub must be deleted from the owners account/app

The base/hub does not have to be deleted , all you have to do is delete the camera from your account and anyone can set that camera up on their account.

Just threw a vote on this myself. I’m coming from the Blink mindset, where a camera can not be added to another account until it is removed from the account it is attached to and that seems to be the ideal solution.

1 Like