Power Cycle From Afar?

If there is no other option for a long distance reboot, you could call the power company and have them disconnect service for a day or so.

1 Like

Thanks.

Sorry to hear your problem, but feel your pain. This also happened to me. Twice while I was away on a 4 day trip I noticed my Pan Cam was off-line. Happened when I checked the camera first thing in the morning, so I donā€™t know how long during the night I was without protection. After 3 or 4 hours, the camera came back on-line be itself. This is most likely a software issue for Wyze. My hardware items (Wyze, router, etc.) are on a UPS and my router logs show that the router didnā€™t go down during these times. This is totally unacceptable and must be addressed by Wyze. I REALLY want Wyze to work out for me, but I canā€™t deal with a system that periodically goes off-line. Customer support is sending me another unit and weā€™ll see if I still have the same issue. But, since I hear others are also having the same issue, Iā€™m a little hesitate that the problem will still be there.

Sarcasm or they actually do this in the US? hehe

You could probably actually do it but they charge $$$ to disconnect / connect.

interesting

Sounds great, thank you for bringing it up!
:+1:

Still, as IFTTTs are setup from an external device the only way for them to work is if they are able to communicate to the device they are running the task on. If the device is already non-communicating then there is no way to get it to reboot using an IFTTT.

I think using IFTTT, mechanical timers, and scheduled shortcuts to reboot the cam were intended as preventative maintenance operations (in case the camera locked up with time).

I rarely ever reboot a camera, but I still say a WiFi switch is one of the best ways to recover from afar.

1 Like

Agree, a Wi-Fi switch is an ideal method for rebooting when you receive a ā€œpower recycleā€ message, what bugs me is this SHOULDNā€™T happen. At least not several times over a couple day period like happened to me. Luckily, I have a switch and donā€™t have to spend the money (probably cost more than the camera) to purchase one.

Vacation home: Bought 4 WiFi outlets on Amazon for $28.
Two control WyzePan cameras, and other 2 control lamps around the house. Added Wyze sense motion detectors and waiting for my Wyze bulbs to arrive before my next trip down.
So far so goodā€¦

Update: 7/15 - all cameras offline in vacation home with no response after power cycle using smart outlets. Router still up since outlets respond. Guess a 200 mile round trip will be required to determine the root cause.
Not a very happy camperā€¦

The only instance Iā€™ve run into so far of a camera not recovering was one that had a bad power adapter. Looking forward to hearing what you find.

Yeah. I had a neighbor go in and unplug the
camera and then plug in again after a minute and we got it working
again but then it lost connection again a few days later.

It may be a bad adapter but I won't be able to check now until the

fall

Some have reported problems with cameras in weak signal locations losing their connection and not regaining it until a restart. I just installed one in a garage window, and whereas it is only 25 feet from my router (my man cave is right next to the garage), I too have experienced offline conditions that required a power cycle to recover from. About every two days now.

The root issue in my mind is all the metal on the other side of the wall. Between my router and the garage window is a furnace and a water heater full of water, with little space between them. So might need to put a range extender out there. Something to think about in any installation where you have to power cycle every few days.

My next step is to take the camera out of the garage and put it somewhere else the same distance or further. That should tell me if it is a hardware issue or a signal issue.

And yes, I agree they should recover better if it is signal loss.

No matter whatā€™s the issue (power adapter, etc.), having our cameras go off-line while weā€™re away is just plain unacceptable. Wyze needs to focus on this before putting out all these new features.

Does Wyze make a range extender for their products?

Telling me (a fellow user) or posting your complaint in a user forum where there is little Wyze presence will do little good. We really need you to submit a ticket with the issue. This will give the problem visibility.

1 Like

Not at this time. Most router manufacturers do, however.

1 Like

Iā€™m fully aware of the correct proceduresā€¦Iā€™ve submitted 2 tickets.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a way to extend the connection between the camera / bridge and the Wyze Sense contact sensors.