Phantom image

I have multiple Wyze Cam V.3s mounted outdoors in PEF mounts that I purchased from Amazon. I have had no problems except for a big one----sporadically, and for no apparent reasons, I get a phantom light on the side of the image. This light can be seen on the lower left of the attached image. Sometimes it appears elsewhere, usually off to the side.

This only happens at night when the IR light is on.

At first I thought, oh, a wire must be in front of the cam. Wrong. NOTHING is in front of the cam. This is a serious problem, as the phantom light moves slightly, triggering multiple “events.”

There is nothing visible on the lense. However, I have found that climbing a ladder in the middle of the night and wiping the front of the cam with a microfiber cloth immediately resolves the problem.

Any idea what is causing this? Could it have something to do with the mount? I never had this problem before I installed the mount. However I don’t understand why a mount would cause this problem.

Spider web or silk worm web. I’ve gotten this on my outdoor cameras as well.

8 Likes

Very likely a spider web or cob web.

4 Likes

Yep - I get it all the time in summer - spider web. I use a long handled soft brush and clean the webs off every day

4 Likes

I have a spider who likes to build webs in front of a WCO.

4 Likes

Yes, that might very well be. Here is the very first occurrence. I guess it might be that the cam housing that I bought is popular with spiders.

3 Likes

Wait until you get a spider walking across the lens - the first I saw made me think there was some sort of monster in my garden!

3 Likes

Were the webs actually on the cam proper, on the lens? To remove the web, is it necessary to actually come into contact with the lens? I just attached a towel to a poll and flitted it around the front of the cam. I guess I’ll see if that works. The first time I had this issue I climbed a ladder in the middle of the night and wiped the front of the lens.

The webs were not on the camera in the video I posted, they are in front of it. I did have another Battery Powered WCO cam with the web across the lens and it recorded a new video event every 1 min until I turned it off. I’m glad the cam did not have cam plus .

2 Likes

CamPlus would probably tag a spider as a pet!

2 Likes

I have hundreds off these guys running around outside the house. I tag them as pets :upside_down_face:
They are hard to capture with a WCO unless the stay right in front of the cam. Might set up a V3 for them during day and see how it works out.

1 Like

It once tagged a bear as a pet!

2 Likes

I took a quick look at the PEF mount/enclosure. Not sure what that’s buying you over and above the V3’s existing water resistance. You might just want to save yourself the trouble and go naked.

Edit: It’s the same IP65 rating as the camera!

The mount allows me to point the camera—that is its only virtue to me, given my particular situation.

1 Like

Ah, cat food! We have lot of these lizards, and some feral cats in the neighborhood. We routinely see a cat carrying a lizard.

Okay. Pretty sure there are similar mounts that don’t use an enclosure though…

I have some mounts like these on two of my 4 WCO. Not this brand but the same thing, will work on a V3 also.

https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adjustable-Security-Interface-Standard/dp/B07DLXWMCV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=wyze%2Bcam%2Bmount&qid=1652997137&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

1 Like

I have a Webster Cobweb Duster on a telescoping aluminum pole that I use. Any Box Store or Amazon.

3 Likes

totally a cob web… they couldn’t figure that out…