Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

The test unit packaging is around 8 cm x 8 cm x 16.5 cm. This box came inside a bigger box with cushioning that I don’t have the measurements for. Not sure if that helps.

It does not have a siren/alarm

I’m not aware of a smart siren but you could get a siren that plugs into a Wyze smart plug, then set a rule to turn on the smartplug w/ WCO motion.

1 Like

If we want to leave the camera plugged in all the time, what are thoughts on plugging it into a smart plug that will come on once a week or once a month for a couple hours to charge the battery?

2 Likes

I would think that would work great. The big worry that Wyze presents is that the seal around where the charging cord plugs in will not be watertight during charging.

I have not handled a WCO in person yet, but with the right cable and some silicone sealer, it seems like you could make almost anything waterproof enough.

But at that point, you’d almost have to consider sticking with a v2 and one of the many weather resistant cases they sell on Amazon. The cost may come out about the same and you would have much greater live viewing and continuous recording capabilities.

1 Like

The worry is not that leaving the camera connected to power will hurt the camera. The battery might go bad but if it’s always plugged in that’s no big deal. The problem is that with a plug in the camera you have to open the seal and it is no longer weatherproof. If you want to vote on a Outdoor Camera that is made to be plugged in you can do that here: Wyze Cam Outdoor V2 Ideas

Sorry about that but even if you only have the power on for once a month for like an hour the camera is no longer weather proof when it’s plugged in.

1 Like

i suppose that it also does not include the 2 seconds before the motion is triggered?

dammn battery!

As Sodcam says, a little dab of silicone sealer should do ya… except if there is no built-in charge controller for the battery. I’m assuming that there is. But then you know what they say about assuming…

It has to have a built in charge controller. There is no dedicated charger, just regular micro USB.

Someone had a chance to compare it anginst Arlo Pro? Better or worse?

I’m sure Lifehackster on YouTube will do a in depth review and comparison once this is shipped. I would check there for info on that.

2 Likes

Probably a window decal.

Upvote for LifeHackster, he brought me into Yi and then to @Wyze. But he’s a homebody so he’ll never go out camping extended stay with a 10 day report.

He’ll miss 1/2 the intended use of the camera as most of us don’t live in perpetual sunshine.

2 Likes

I’m so going to do that lol

I guess you could always order some of the Wyze Plug’s and plug the new outdoor cams into it and automate the charging of the battery with Rules. Would just have to make sure the plug is well protected from the outdoor elements and put that dab of silicon on the USB port on the Cam…

Just a thought… :thinking:

1 Like

Anyone notice how much the WOC looks like a mini front load washer/dryer? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lol can’t wait to hang my mini front loader :joy: it’s sucks we have to wait a month or so

1 Like

Depends on what you mean, and the location of the smart plug.

The main problem is, you don’t know the discharge rate, and Wyze states “normal” is 10-20 events per day. If it is much more than that, then, obviously the batteries will drain much quicker, on the flip side, if you don’t have any detections in a day, then you wouldn’t want to charge it at all, so you can’t set a schedule really.

These units don’t seem to have the necessary circuitry inside them to monitor voltages, and step down to a trickle charge, since, they were never meant to be plugged in all the time. Unfortunate design decision to make it as cheap as possible.

If you don’t care about warranty, then, do whatever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t get the need for an outdoor cam. I’ve been putting Wyze cams outdoors for years. Never had a problem. I put them in the outdoor mount kit.

2 Likes

But wait a minute…I’m in the great Pacific Northwest and we have gorgeous skies for 70 days of the year…so I have to ask: do you expect me to mount a standard WYZE V2 on a 10’ mast EMT POLE that’s then attached to my Roof for a sky cam and not expect a problem?.

Why is it that YI outdoor cam did this 3+ yrs ago and I’m still waiting to replace it with a Wyze and they can’t seem to get basics understood for what works.

My Yi has never failed in the worst situations as a basic camera and it’s plugged in 24/7 and happily alerts me with a SIREN… IF ALIENS FLY OVER…

Just another problem we can endlessly hope Wyze implements with version 26.999.999.99 of updates about 2 more years from now.

I’m not impressed right now, who ever thinks they call the shots is actually undermining and bleeding off WYZE resources and money for what gain.

Nobody wanted this, battery first is a major flaw for power.

2 Likes