Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Yeah… I like the idea of a battery powered camera… But, we should start with a bare bones outdoor cam, and go from there…

Personally, I’d buy a couple normal outdoor cams, and maybe one or two battery cams, later on… Just for areas where an outlet isn’t handy.

It appears this camera is going to very closely resemble the blink XT outdoor camera ? Is anybody on here familiar enough to draw this comparison?

1 Like

hopefully not in the battery department. From Blinks forum

“Bottom line: these cameras are fun to play with but should be treated as toys. I paid $74 each. Already spent another $5 in batteries in first month.”

1 Like

I have a couple of blink XT’s And the wyze outdoor Sounds very similar Except for blinks Don’t have rechargeable Batteries , they do have the option of being wired .
I don’t know if it’s possible with the hub Module setup But , One thing I wish they had is An option In the app to restart a camera Like wyze has now

1 Like

I have 5 of them currently. I have no complaints on battery. But I’m not using them as constant surveillance. Only short PIR activated motion clips when I’m not home. Got about 1.5 years out of most. 10-12 months out of the others in high traffic areas.

The rechargeable option that looks like it is coming to WYZE looks interesting to say the least. Just wondering how long between charges with average use. ARLO cams seem to be all over the place depending on who you talk to. 2months-4months. It makes camera placement and type of mount used very important.

1 Like

I’ve a pair of Reo link Argus 2’s.
They have a decent battery for snapshots and short clips. NOT for continuous viewing.
I “over used” them and the battery would only last about a week or so but easily recharged via usb.
I like the option of a magnetic half ball mount and the solar charger.

I can’t say much, but I can say Wyze’s don’t look anything like those.

1 Like

Thanks yeah I assumed a much different look but functionally seem almost identical accept for battery. The cool down periods and recording length and hopefully most important the price will be the difference :sunglasses:

From what I read from one of the Wyze staff it will be available as a plug in powered cam or have battery power. Can’t link to the thread though, I can’t remember where I read it.

That is correct. It has an internal rechargeable battery, recharged through a micro USB port. If left plugged in, it can be grid powered.

It will, though, always communicate through the hub. As for “extra money”, I think that would depend on the what the price point ends up being, yes?

4 Likes

Somewhat although the price has to include the cost/profit of the battery and the hub.

2 Likes

I agree… I’d rather not pay for a battery and hub, if I don’t have to… It would be nice to have a basic, entry level model. Upgradable to achieve the premium features.

2 Likes

I agree with that too! I rather Wyze release a wired and wireless version of an outdoor cam. The wired version being just like a normal Wyzecam by not requiring a hub or anything like that, and the battery powered version can include a hub and battery.

When you choose battery powered cameras you remove options like continuous recording to an SD card and time lapses. I much rather have the option for continuous recording because cameras like Arlo will inevitably miss events and there is no way to go back and review 24/7 recording because that would drain the battery in a matter of weeks or even days.

1 Like

I guess we should wait to see the final product before going to full complain mode.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Why do battery powered cameras remove options like continuous recording or time lapse?
You just need a power source, a bigger battery or something to charge the battery like a solar panel.
If my math is correct
The 2V draws 2 watts at 5 volts, or 0.4 amp/hour. A typical car battery should provide 40 to 110 AH at 12 volts. Thus should run the camera from about 240 hours to 660 hours.
But with a solar panel and some sun one can use a much smaller battery.

1 Like

I have 2 set up this way with the outdoor Amazon covers and am happy to report the pan cam has stood up through rain, -20F temps, snow, ice, now to test heat outside on them. I love these cams and your products are improving more and more.

3 Likes

Any picture of the setup?

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Thanks! Looks good.