Official word from Wyze on v1 not working any more?

I have not intended to be ‘radio silent’ I do read this thread daily and I post when I have information. They are still actively working on this but it has been tricky to figure out. Since the firmware was 2 years old when the cams started not being able to connect it pointed to a cloud issue, they did find and fix a cloud issue. That is when I came in and started asking people to try and reconnect. This did not work, then users found that older firmware worked. So now its trying to figure out using the original old firmware, the even older firmware and any cloud changes that happened around the time they started dropping off. I apologize for the delays and I am pushing them on this issue every chance I get.

2 Likes

So there was zero regression and UAT testing when previous firmware was rolled out. Wow. Because all that it would have taken to avoid this is for someone to tell the guy in the lab, “turn that power strip off and on and make sure the V1 through V3 cams are still working after this release”.

The V1 is arguably unsupported but this is not a good story.

I think the point is you shouldn’t have to be “pushing them on this issue”. They have broken the early adopter’s (the foundation of the company) cameras and made them useless to anyone not savvy enough to research and flash firmware. At this point I don’t expect them to be “fixed”, as there is no downside at this point to leaving them as is. The damage is done and they are seemingly letting the chips fall where they may vs fixing a End of Life camera. I’m sure if they stumble across the fix (based on info here) and it’s easiest enough to implement without much regression or unit testing, then sure I guess it go happen. I’m just not expecting it.

3 Likes

I am sure there was testing, it also ran fine for 2 years, that’s why they were looking at any cloud changes.

I would say there is a huge downside of leaving them as is, that would leave everyone thinking that this was intentional, would further harm the way the early adopters look at Wyze and on a more personal level would damage any trust I am trying to build in the community. Fixing the issue will not change everyone’s view as if it never happened but fixing them is better than just dragging it out and doing nothing.

2 Likes

You’re right - I should have written “when authentication and other Wyze server changes were rolled out”. These are ALL in direct control of Wyze developers. This was a development and operations failure. The rest of my observation stands as is. All it would have taken was a simple reboot of Wyze’s camera models during regression testing for those server updates. This apparently did not happen?

1 Like

As many of you know, flashing firmware was a real hassle for me, and none of the versions worked.

WyzeJason has been open, and communicative with me, and that is appreciated.
What I really have an issue with at this point, besides being down 5 cameras, is that I sent an email to 3 of the original founders nearly a week ago, and have not received the common courtesy of even a “Email received” response, much less any information or confirmation they are aware of this issue or are even looking into it……and this is top management.

Would be happy to share if anyone else is interested.

What has happened to this company is truly shameful.

And their 5th Anniversary is July 19th, where they can be celebrating treating their earliest adopters with TOTAL dis-regard, and reveling in the fact it doesn’t bother them.

If I sound frustrated, and upset, I guess it shows.

C’mon Wyze……at least have the professional courtesy of stepping forward and saying something!

3 Likes

Jason, Thanks for the responses BTW.

Intentional or not, if the same thing were happening with v3 cams it would have been fixed by now. Do we agree on that? So at this point, since they know about the issue, it might as well be intentional as they probably aren’t diverting a lot of energy into the fix, or you wouldn’t have to be “pushing” at every chance.

Also, Any users whose cameras have been dead for a month or so now, probably have moved on or flashed old firmware. If a fix happens tomorrow, how will the ones who have moved on even know, since there has been no communication from Wyze to users? And the normal troubleshooting is to delete and re-setup each cam, which to the lay person removes them from being able to work at all. So again IMO the damage has really been done and from the Wyze, as a company, standpoint I don’t think fixing it moves the needle much now. Sure it might make followers of this thread happy but not much beyond that. I just don’t see this being a priority for them now, without a very simple fix. When they put out a statement and fix I will gladly admit I was wrong.

Again appreciate the back and forth and info you can share.

5 Likes

I guess this probably didn’t make it into the Fix It Friday with enough votes. Still don’t understand the need to vote to get bugs fixed.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Any updates on V1 issues?

It’s literally been like 3 hours before your post since the last update. :slight_smile:

My V1 cameras that have the downgraded software are suddenly having problems after working perfectly for over a week. The live streams will have trouble starting up and then stop while streaming live. While this is happening no other cameras have any problems (nor did the downgraded V1s previously).

It was my fear that wyze would stop the downgraded firmware from working, is that what has happened. Or am I having a weird “coincidence”. My faith in Wyze is so low now I believe it’s intentional. Anyone else seeing this.

update: power cycle the camera and it is working again, but this is the 2nd day in a row where if the camera is online for a while this failure starts and needs a power cycle to work again.

1 Like

This is not happening, I will pass up that you are starting to have issues with the lower firmware also. I was talking to them yesterday about this issue and they are still looking into things.

2 Likes

Hello, any updates? I am an early Wyze supporter/adopter and my 6 cams have been running flawlessly since 2017. All 5 of 6 cams went down in the last several weeks. Only one remains functional.
I just found this thread today. Please let us know any updates. I’m looking forward to having my V1s working again. Thanks JasonJ!

1 Like

HAPPY 5 th ANNIVERSARY WYZE……especially the Co-Founders, Zhang, Crosby, and Song….it is today isn’t it?

AND DON’T EXPECT ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

I say this, because 2 weeks ago today, I emailed each of them about this issue, and their commitment in 2018 to be “ CONSUMER CENTRIC”, as Wyze was taking off.

Guess what?

Not a single one of these “DEDICATED TO CONSUMERS” founders, has ever responded….not even as much as a ”Email received”, much less any commitment to look into this matter.

Never, in all my life, have I ever received such shoddy treatment by a company when I have written the Management.

So WyzeJason…., who has been the only Wyze person willing to respond here….

WHAT SAY YOU ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL COMPANY YOU’RE REPRESENTING?

For them to not even respond, speaks volumes about this company and their Corporate Values ….I hope you realize this WyzeJason.

This has been going on for over 2 months….and what have you got to report?

ZERO…NADA….NOTHING……Because obviously, you’re being treated the same way as we customers….and apparently, willing to accept it.

Sorry WyzeJson, but you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING HERE !

I am simply shocked that this company treats their customers…especially their early and loyal adopters, in this manner.

So for me, if this is the way I’m going to be treated, I will make every possible effort to let others know what kind of company this is….and more importantly, what they can expect (WHICH IS NOTHING) from some type of (you choose the appropriate term here ) as they claim they were committed to being “CONSUMER CENTRIC”….

What a joke!

Sorry WyzeJason……but you deserve this, as obviously you have NO support from management….just as we customers do not.

2 Likes

Here’s the commitment from Wyze CEO …

Sadly the date is a bit old. Published: Sep 12, 2018
Not that I listened to it but it’s been nearly 4 years, do you think they feel the same?

That seems to be his or her point.

2 Likes

Lets all start giving them a 1 star review on trustpilot

Where else can we post reviews?

so what is the status now ? 2 out of my 4 cameras are dead now.