Notification Problem

You can be anywhere in the world. Again, the camera is not on 5 GHz. It doesn’t have the circuitry for that. Your phone however is probably on 5 GHz. Don’t worry, it can still connect to the camera on your 2.4 GHz branch of your network.

I don’t understand “I’ve tried everything but event recording”. Events are what it should be notifying you about, so you need events. You need everything in #11.

1 Like

Ok, I will try it later this weekend. Thanks for your help. I will check back in when I get working.

2 Likes

yes, as i mentioned above, " make sure event recording is turned on in camera settings (and turn ON for each individual camera in their individual settings). this is a common problem i see on reddit all the time and for many it’s due to people not turning on event recording." <----- this solves the problem for soooo many people on reddit who’ve asked “why don’t notifications work”, answer: “turn on event recording”

IT’S WORKING!!! Finally! The only thing I couldn’t figure out is how to set the panning areas.

1 Like

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029849032--Motion-Tracking

1 Like

Perfect! Very Helpful! Thanks!

1 Like

so what did you do that fixed it? the event recording?

Yes, I don’t think I had that turned on.

cool. well i’m glad my suggestion fixed the problem. I had a feeling it was probably that since it’s been mentioned so many times on reddit.

I don’t know how to tag somebody but maybe somebody can tag Isaac and suggest he put “event recording for each devices needs to be turn ON for notifications to work” in his Notifications help tutorial, otherwise people do continue to be confused since it lacks this important needed step for it to even work. https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030986591-Notifications @Isaac

2 Likes

Ok, so another issue. Why is it not recording events? I am getting notifications just fine. The first night with my mobile device turned off, it recorded events during the night but it hasn’t done it since the first night.

1 Like

Just a friendly Correction to the above statement, Amazon Echo’s Use Dual Band 2.4 and 5ghz, and most Ring products also use dual band (as of 2017) as well, with the exception of the floodlight camera (due to distance), or if you are using one of the old original Ring products. :smiley:

1 Like

True. My friend only uses 5G with his ring. His 2.4G system has been disabled for quite some time.

Very true, nevertheless the point was and is, there are a large number of IoT devices using 2.4GHz and not 5. For instance my Ring Doorbell V2 use 2.4Ghz as the 5Ghz signal has a tough time getting through brick. So even though Ring and others offer 5GHz they often still end up connecting via the 2.4GHz network.

Now before you all go nuts giving me examples of your devices that connect via 5GHz remember that was not the point I was making. Wyze is not the only vendor supplying 2.4GHz devices. Especially in their market. 2.4GHz has much superior range and signal strength than 5GHz does at a significantly lower cost and power consumption.

1 Like

I agree with that statement 100% I use 2.4 even for my devices that can use 5, due to that very reason of it not working well though walls and distances etc.

EDIT: I really only use 5Ghz, for Laptops, Tablets or Consoles.

I think it may matter on your environment. I have no bricks in my interior walls. I have some metal and plasterboards. I don’t use Ring.

I can agree on 2.4G having better distance but stronger than 5G? I seem to get better speeds on 5G. How do you measure consumption and cost? Just curious and always looking to learn a different point of view.

1 Like

I don’t have brick in my interior walls either. The Ring doorbell is mounted outside by virtue of its intended purpose. The exterior walls are all cement cinderblock or poured concrete with a veneer of brick. I also have a Wyze Pan Camera mounted outside.

I measure strength very objectively, I had a very thorough wireless survey done for both frequencies of WiFi. When I say 2.4 GHz is “stronger” I am speaking of RSSI strength. 5 GHz drops off over distance much faster than 2.4 GHz so where the Ring Doorbell shows a WiFi signal percentage of 45% for 5 GHz which is realistically unusable for video streaming, in the 2.4 GHz band the signal strength is 94%.

As far as speed goes that’s only a potential benefit as the cameras are not even utilizing the full speed available in the 2.4 GHz band and will transmit no faster on the 5 GHz band.

My point being that very few devices in the IoT space actually need or benefit from the 5 GHz spectrum. That is changing, and in high density urban environments the 5 GHz band is usually less crowded while living space is usually more compact so a real benefit exists in that environment.

1 Like

Thanks. That was an explanation that makes sense beyond theory. I appreciate your input.