Not my day

Upgrading the coax to my scanner antenna from RG6 to LMR400UF. Instead of removing the old coax from behind the siding I just cut it and pulled. It’s amazing how much RG6 looks like USB power cable. Now I get to replace a perfectly good two piece cable. And it was an active USB cable. $$

1 Like

Ouch. I surely appreciate that error.

:rofl: :rofl: Maybe you should get some glasses that automatically lighten and dim so you can :eyeglasses: :eyes:
To dark

1 Like

Funny funny. :sunglasses:

Bought another USB active extension cable to replace the two piece model. Need an active cable because it powers a v3 with a spotlight about 35 feet away from power. A regular USB cable that length couldn’t power the spotlight due to voltage drop.
So, I am looking to see how I routed the cable years ago. Under the siding, nice and clean look. Except there is now a large Suncast garbage can enclosure right up against the siding that is not movable.
Looked like I would need a longer cable, since the only other path was around a window.
Remembered a few months ago I installed a Wyze floodlight on the back of the house. It is about 3 feet around the corner. Plugged into the floodlight and that camera is back online.
Sending the cable back.

Note: This is not criticism of the use of a word or description. I simply don’t know/don’t understand. What is an USB active extension? Please.

At one, or sometimes both ends of an active USB cable, are small electronic circuits which boost the intensity of the data being carried by the cable. This can go a long way to warding off signal degradation due to attenuation. That’s only typically a problem in longer passive cables, however, which is why active USB cables are recommended for the longest of cable connections.

1 Like

The scanner buff in me would like to see photos of your antenna setup if you got some.:slight_smile:

Here is a 625 page PDF I found that you might enjoy. It is the Practical Antenna Handbook.

1 Like

Here you go

The antenna is a Diamond D130NJ. I have it mounted on a piece of steel 10’ conduit so with the bracket the top of the antenna is about 30’ off the ground.
Just took down a Tram 1410 because the connector was PL259 which is not good for above 800mHz.
Had three different coax. Started with RG8x, then RG6 and finally bit the bullet and bought Times Microwave LMR400UF with N connectors.
The antenna is connected to a Polyphaser arrestor, then a 12” piece of LMR400 goes through the wall. From there it goes to a MiniCircuits LNA then to a MiniCircuits FM block, then to a Chinese variable attenuator.
I have an AliExpress mini PC with an Atom processor, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD running ProScan. It is connected to my SDS200 scanner and serves at sds200.duckdns.org:5000. The Mimi PC has a USB Bluetooth transmitter, which feeds my Bluetooth earbuds. My wife doesn’t like the ‘chatter’ so this works and a I can go downstairs and outside and still hear the scanner.

Oh,and it was really fun trying to manhandle that and not fall off the roof. I need to get up one more time and add some stabilization braces.

2 Likes

That’s niiice, wish I was able to get a antenna up high. I tinker with some sdr dongles with 800 mhz whips to monitor area systems. I used to run Unitrinker constantly but not much anymore. Anything I really monitor though has already established sites on openmhz.com, broadcastify.com or in the radioreference database so I just go there as it’s easier.

1 Like

I have a genuine RTL-SDR that I messed with for a few days. The scanner has kept me interested so the dongle is in a drawer.

Shoulda coulda woulda used LMR400UF to begin with. Getting that conduit out of the pipe while trying not to fall off the peak of the roof isn’t fun.

You would get another hospital visit out of it. :raccoon: :clap:
I am anti-ladder except a 6 foot stepladder ever since I fell off of my 22 foot extension ladder and demolished my knee.

Had a neifhbor who took care of himself, great health. A week after he retired he fell off a ladder and is now a vegetable.