No Mail for you

I’ve had a Wyze contact sensor on mine for years, first was a Sense V1 and now a V2. Currently Alexa announces “The Mail is here” and I get a push notification on my Apple watch and phone. I was thinking maybe I’d also make a routine that turns on a spot light pointed at the mailbox as well. If it’s nighttime, it might scare of someone opening the mailbox. I’ve never had an issue before, but that doesn’t mean I won’t.

1 Like

Do the perps have a lightbar on top of their red coupe?

If so, should hopefully not be too hard to spot it. Surely do not seem concerned one bit over potentially getting caught.

I lightened up the photos with a photo editor and it does appear there is something on the front roof.
??? It does not happen here a lot but this is the 3rd time in about 8 months, Maybe no more free Covid money or California “buy a vote” money since November is long gone :rofl:

It’s either an el-cheapo LED lightbar illuminating only forward - or it’s a lightbar with ‘alert’/alarm lights like tow-trucks (or worse). The latter often used by people performing various services (from rural mail carrier to locator services, etc).

Also, not sure if you noticed it, but it appears as if the passenger side window is made of packing tape or Saran Wrap .

Find you a red 2 door sedan with packing tape for a window and you have your unsub.

1 Like

I believe you are correct, I just watched the video again and when the door is opened you can see it . . They probably knocked the window out and stole the car too. :grimacing:
Window

Do you have a cage around your catalytic converter? They probably noticed your truck and might come back. Less than 2 minutes and they are gone.

Toyota Tacoma trucks sit very high at stock height, I was able to install a MillerCat shield on my Tacoma without even jacking it up.

1 Like

A couple of ideas. This first one is more wishful thinking than practical. Rig up a “flash/bang” device to the mailbox door. That would get their attention. :rofl:

The second idea is more feasible. If you have one set up already, have a contact sensor detect when the mailbox door is opened and sound an alarm on the spotlight camera during night time hours.

You really don’t think I would answer that question here do you ? :rofl:
If you want the Cat please wear Kevlar. Maybe the critters are trying to get it.

1 Like

Ah, but you have to remember that mail theft is different because it is a FEDERAL offense…which means the feds can give 5 years of prison &/or a fine no matter what the state says or wants.
Sources:

Then if they commit mail FRAUD on top of mail theft, well, then they can do up to 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine

18 U.S.C. 1341§ 1341 states:

“Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises or sell, dispose of ,loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by make or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addresses, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency, or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1 million dollars or imprisoned more than 30 years”.

Doesn’t matter what your state thinks about it…Just FYI :wink:

3 Likes

Agreed. These offenses are investigated and enforced by the Federal Law Enforcement division of the USPS… The US Postal Inspection Service.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about placing a camera closer to my mailbox. For the past 2 days, I’m not sure if my mail is being dropped off or being ripped off. There is a power outlet on my driveway lamp post, so I could place a V3 or an OG there,. I’d have to paint it black.

I’d use a Wyze V2 Door Sensor, but it may be too far away from the base. I’ll have to play around with it.

The pickins are slim at that time of night. Most people have emptied their mailbox long before then.

We went through a period of about 2.5 months recently, November 2022 to early Jan this year when the mail wasn’t getting delivered until about 8:00 PM :open_mouth: Now it shows up about 14:30 PM.

Wow! Here property crime and theft don’t warrent a call no one shows even for unconscious on wheel of running parked vehicles! Heck our city police are not allowed to chase criminals if they run in vehicles at high speed ( only few do it any other way lol)to protect the public! Employee shortage! Yeah

Sounds just like where I live and the Police department is 55.7% of the City’s cost. :rofl:

1 Like