New RTSP Binaries for Beta Testing

I think we fixed ~99.9% but not 100%. There is still a very low % for it to happen. 0.1% is a ‘gestimate’ which may not be accurate. This is the same as the latest official firmware. We will try a few times to overwrite the MAC but there could be a very low chance for the function to fail. We didn’t figure out why since it didn’t happen in our test.

The WiFi chip was originally assigned to the WiFi chip provider. We overwrite just because wanting the MAC to be under Wyze purchased range. There is no functionality impact on this.

If it ever happens, a device reboot will fix it. I haven’t heard a case for it to be consistent. Given the impact is very low we decide to not fix this issue 100% (the fix cost is high).

3 Likes

Any response to the OTA update question? Do I really have to climb the tree and unmount the cam from its housing to take it indoors and fiddle with it with a new SD card to update it? Thats so year 2016 :wink:

2 Likes

Just curious…why is it only the RTSP firmware we can’t update OTA? I’ve been planning to put some cameras outside (using a waterproof housing) but needing to physically access the camera for updates has been a cause to reconsider that plan.

1 Like

@jon6 @WildBill Sorry, there won’t be OTA support for RTSP binaries. As we stated from the very beginning we can only provide minimum support for RTSP. The RTSP firmware are not fully hooked up with the OTA system. We don’t have resource to support it. Sorry about that!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your forthrightness, @WyzeTao. In my opinion you are over-delivering and keeping customers with this. (And I haven’t even installed an RTSP firmware.)

4 Likes

What exactly do you mean by “over-delivering”? Most other cameras have RTSP/ONVIF connectivity available in stock firmware.

I mean it’s a camera I bought for $20 2 years ago with free cloud storage that never promised one RTSP development branch, let alone two. They’ve delivered more than I expected in this regard.

6 Likes

Happy to report that while the prior version of RTSP firmware did not allow me to download a timelapse after it was completed, the new beta version does allow the download. Also, so far it seems like I get fewer “no signal” reports from Blue Iris and the video looks more solid. Nice job. Thanks for the update!

3 Likes

Thank you for the report!

2 Likes

Will the new RTSP firmware support streaming and local recording? What about compatibility with Cam Plus? Any known issues there with the new RTSP firmware?

I have loaded the new firmware on 5 wyze camV2. having the same issues with the old firmware. I use SecuritySpy (OSX Cam app) to connect to the cams. They work for a short period of time, then i loose connection, 2 of 2 things happens i loose connection for days (10 is the highest so far) or it connects randomly on and off. some will connect for days at a time, then start this over again. These cams never stay connected for a long period of time. all are indoors and connected to power thru the provided plugs. Also none have a SD Card loaded, and my wifi is typically very good. And they always seem to connect to the Wyze app, but that is no useful, and paying a subscription for 5 cams is not worth it. I have other cams from other vendors that dont have this issue

Anyone else seen similar problems?

Yesterday I reported that I loaded the new firmware on a v2 camera that is connected to Blue Iris via RTSP and that it was working better, but I think I did not wait long enough for testing. Today the RTSP link has dropped multiple times so far, it does not appear better than with the old firmware. My WiFi signal is good and I observe from my router logs that the Wi-Fi connection to the Wyze camera does NOT drop when the RTSP fails and restarts, Blue Iris, does automatically connect after each drop.

1 Like

After a few days of testing now, it seems the RTSP connection stops working after some period of time (10-15 hours). The previous stable version of the firmware did not have this problem. I can either slide the RTSP off then on to restart or just restart the camera. After that RTSP will again function for another 10-15 hours. Even while RTSP is failing, the camera is still available via the wyze app as normal. So it just seems something with the RTSP portion is failing.

@jmorrison7 @dale4 @Steve99388 We will check it and get back. This may take days to repro/investigate. Thanks!

1 Like

What improvements are you expecting? Should we see something noticeable? I haven’t seen any performance differences/improvements from the previous version. I see disconnects and lags in streaming, just as before.

1 Like

this is screen shots of Dec7th showing when 4 separate cams drop off line for my NVR software (SecuritySpy) i will see if there is some logs i can grab from it.

1 Like

I tried multiple SD cards but am unable to flash my pan cam from firmware 4.10.6.218 to this beta.

1 Like

did you rename the file to demo.bin?

Thank you and kudos to Team Wyze for building and providing this firmware. Now I can simultaneously monitor multiple cameras on my PC and stream to my TV.

Any eta on the RTSP firmware for the V3?

Thanks Martin

1 Like