Need a spider web wiper

any of these tethered with a tiny leash near the camera

1 Like

Seriously, I have a cam on my covered porch and I have to wipe with a broom about every other week.

Need to get some peppermint oil.

1 Like

Please let us know if peppermint does the job. I am curious.

From reading the article it may be species specific, it worked on two species, not on another. But I think it is worth trying on my V2 outdoor/under cover cams.

A word of caution, you might want to read this first.

3 Likes

That was my plan. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes peppermint oil can soften some plastics, so I would use it near but not on the cam

2 Likes

The pure oil may soften plastic but the spider-away formula is 1 drop of peppermint oil to 16oz of water. So, don’t go crazy and paint the entire outer surface of your Wyzecam(s). I have us d it for 18 months now and it is not perfect but those dang web things don’t flail in the night breeze and fire off motion alerts much any more. Until something better comes along to control spiders, I will keep using the peppermint. I am open to suggestions for alternatives for sure…

You could switch to a pan cam. Install upside down. Turn off auto pan so its motionless until you manually drive it. Attach a 3rd party cam cover which youve adhered a stick/sweep/pole/ swiffer duster, whatever, in a miniaturized size to stay out of view or reduce obstructing view. Attach a flag to the end if needed.

When spiders present, manual turn cam back and forth to sweep area. Careful not to leave pan on automatic so as to turn more than 120ndegrees and break your stick. A restart of cam would cog things up as well as cam will turn its 270 degree during reboot.
-------‐-----------
If diligent, — to avoid bird perching— attach sweep with a chicsgo screw, or to a swivel or free turning ( think spinner) platform. Maybe even Wyze will send you the gearing to their swiveling platform ( wish, wish) . Attach then, to your cam cover. Attach a screw above with a light gauge spring to raise the stick to horiz position, but weak enough to not take the weight of a bird perching. Put in a secondary screw to stop stick at a designated level.

Speaking of peppermint, they are peppermint plug ins and auto spray dispensers. As they would require batteries or additional electricity its may simply be impractical especially if they last only 1 to 3 months and you are probably visiting property only about every 6 months

Can you draw? How about a quick sketch (or animated gif if you’re an adept.)  :wink:

1 Like

First remove the webs then, occasionally cover the lens with a cloth and spray an insect repellant around the cameras then remove the cover. It has been working out well so far. Spide shows have stopped. Haven’t sprayed for two months.

2 Likes

Be careful with essential oils. Some will damage (melt) plastic. And it would be a temporary fix anyway as the oil will dry out in about a week or two.

There are electronic ultrasonic insect repellers that should work. Some are solar powered even. You would need one at each camera. That is what I would do. I think the spiders are are drawn to the heat given off by the IR LEDs as I have a different brand of camera on my porch and every once in a while I see this giant spider crawling around in front of the lens. Looks like something out of a horror movie. :laughing:

1 Like

When I mounted my door cam the spiders were always putting webs on it. I just kept knocking it off and eventually they stopped. Now it is starting on my back yard cam…uggh