My Experience with RTSP Firmware

Could you please check if you can do time laps on the 4.28.4.41 firmware via the Wyze app? I can’t get it working and wondering if that is something I did or a bug…

Error is “file not found” when I try to play/download the time laps after it supposed to be done

Thanks in advance

I have no need to do timelapse via the Wyze app. I do all my timelapses via Netcam Studio.

Sorry about that. I know you need a MicroSD card to do timelapse via the Wyze app. Do you have that in place?

Thanks. I do and it stores the regular recordings for each day correctly - just the timelaps is an issue…

Hmm, not sure - have you tried asking support?

Hello there!
First of all, I would like to wish good health to everyone.
I have 4 V2 cams and I am considering start using RTSP in one of them.
The only reason would be to try to stream that cam to the browser of a Samsung TV running Tizen OS. What do you guys think? Will it work?

I am using the RSTP firmware on all three of my Pan Cameras and for the most part it works. I do occasionally have to turn RSTP off in the app and back on to restart the stream when it stops. The primary reason I use this is so I can have all of my various types of cameras in one DVR app, Blue Iris. I use that to send texts with snapshots of movement detected and also to record video. Being able to view the feeds on my PC is preferable especially during the day while at work. I realize that this functionality isn’t adding anything to the Wyze community specifically but it would be nice if they could make it more stable and merge the firmware with the production firmware. They say it a lack of resources and with all their new products coming out I can understand it.

I love the cameras and feel they have a great product at a great price point, but I wish it could be a little more well rounded.

Anyone one else using it that cares to comment? Looks like there was an update 12 days ago:

Anyone know whats new on the new RTSP update? I have 4 cams running fine for half a year now don’t know if i should update.

I just jumped into trying RTSP on my cameras this weekend. 4 V2s and 1 Pancam.

Got everything setup with no issues. Using latest RTSP firmware and I’ve got a brand new Velop mesh system.

Thought it would be great but once I got more than 3 cameras setup in Ispy, they all started crapping out. None of the cameras would maintain a good video stream and all kept disconnecting in Ispy and also the iOS app was not working well anymore.

Tried lots of adjustments and using UDP instead of TCP helped slightly, but not enough.

I gave up, uninstalled Ispy. So nothing was actively using RTSP. But the iOS app was still running awful. Rebooted all cameras and router but issues were still bad.

Then I went into the app and flipped the RTSP switch OFF on each camera. Each camera went back to clear smooth video after that.

So it seems RTSP is overloading the wifi whether you’re actively using it or not?

Too bad Wyze is not actively working on this to make it part of the mainstream features and improving it.

Now that I’ve seen how RTSP works and the advantages of software like Ispy. I can’t unsee it. So likely will look into different cameras that can do a better job of this.

Please Wyze, stop trying to invent new things long enough to concentrate on making your original products better.

I am unable to load the RTSP firmware on a PAN cam, I have tried multiple SD Cards as well as diff size SD cards. Anyone have any advise I have tried multiple ways listed here and on reddit, the only thing i can tell is I updated to the latest firmware (4.10.6.156) prior to trying to load the RTSP version.

Thanks

I had no issues loading the RTSP firmware on my PanCam or any of my V2s. It all went super quick and easy for me to get them all converted. My PanCam was up to date on firmware before switching.

Only obvious thing I can ask is did you get the actual PanCam version .bin downloaded?

There’s 2 separate .bin versions for Pan and V2. So you gotta make sure you use the right .bin for the right model or it won’t load for sure…

Yes - im sure i grab the PanCam version. I have tried multiple types of SD cards as well as sizes. I did read on Github that the latest version is blocking any install and not to install it.

Ok, I figured you probably knew it needed to be the specific .bin but felt I should ask to cover the obvious.

Not sure I can offer anything more about it. My PanCam is older (3-4 years) but I know it got the last update around the beginning of August. (Don’t know version number- just got the pop up and let it apply). I just followed instructions on the RTSP download page and it worked first try. Version number in the app now shows 4.29.4.41

Maybe someone else can provide you a solution. Hope you get it going. If you do, hope it’s worth the trouble.

If you are just doing a single camera it might be fine, but like I said, the RTSP feed “works” as expected, but quality of it seems poor and it really affects viewing in the app negatively as well when it is turned on.

I read someplace (here maybe) someone was saying it puts out the RTSP stream in full HD resolution regardless of how it is set in the app and there is no way to control that. I kinda believe that because I kept setting cameras to SD and 360 hoping it would be better flow to Ispy but it had zero effect on performance.

Ok thanks ill just return the camera ;wasted a few hours and others are reporting the same.

-Mike

Ok, I’ve had a little improvement getting this to work, but like 80% good, not 100%

I ended up hooking my old wifi router to my new router to cascade it with a second subnet. At first I moved all 5 of my cams to the second router wifi to separate from the main wifi. Experience was about the same. All cameras consistently dropping left and right.

Then I moved 2 cams back to the original wifi and left 3 cameras on the secondary. Very noticeable improvement. They still drop off every so often but way less than when they all lived on same wifi.

I also switched to using ContaCam but I don’t think that makes any difference. If I went back to Ispy I think it would be same as it is now on ContaCam. I think I like ContaCam better though; it’s way simpler than Ispy. ContaCam is just the basics but that’s all I need.

I still think the whole RTSP issue is just the fact that the cameras are pumping out a Full Res / HD stream all the time which quickly swamps the wifi when adding more than 2-3 cameras.

Not sure if possible but if the RTSP feed could be controlled to lower the quality to reduce traffic then I think this would work way better.

1 Like

I think something along that path is the issue, as iSpy (UDP mode) I can get 3-4 cameras to be fairly stable (adding 1 more causes drops in less than an hour) BUT I can add 3 more cameras to iSpy (UPD mode) on a different PC and now have 6-7 running and it is fairly stable.

Sounds about the same experience as me.

I did give up again though. While I gained some ground by splitting the WiFi connections. Putting the 2 back onto my main WiFi was negatively affecting my other devices a bit.

Turned RTSP off all my cameras and my network is smooth as silk now.

I’ll find other uses for the Wyze cams or give them away, but moving on to finding some true RTSP cameras to replace them.

I tried to update a V2 PAN to 4.29.4.49, FAILS, the yellow LED flashes for > 30 minutes.
Are prior versions still available?

Having the same issue. Not sure what’s going on here.

Decided to flash my Wyze Pan Cam with the RSTP firmware. Previously, only the Wyze V2s had the firmware update. I updated these at the same time.

Firmware Upgrade - V2s

1. Accessed the Wyze Cam RTSP article
  2. Downloaded the Wyze Cam v2 RTSP file v4.28.4.49
  3. Exported contents, renamed to “demo.bin”, copied to MicroSD card formatted to FAT32
  4. Unplugged first camera, inserted MicroSD card, held down Setup button, and connected power
  5. Waited for blue light then left the camera alone for a while

Note: These steps were followed for all 6 Wyze Cam v2s

Results

• All six cameras successfully flashed with the updated firmware
  • All six cameras are visible in Wyze App
  • All six cameras are visible in Netcam Studio

Firmware Upgrade - Pan

1. Accessed the Wyze Cam RTSP article
  2. Downloaded the Wyze Pan Cam RTSP file v4.29.4.49
  3. Exported contents, renamed to “demo.bin”, copied to MicroSD card formatted to FAT32
  4. Unplugged camera, inserted MicroSD card, held down Setup button, and connected power
  5. Waited for blue light then left the camera alone for a while

Note: I only have one Pan Cam

Results

• Camera reports “Device is offline (error code 90)”
  • Power cycling camera did not work
  • Reflashed camera three times to confirm demo.bin file was copied successfully
  • Camera IS reporting firmware 4.29.4.49 under “Firmware Update”

At this point I’ll likely do a factory reset or flash to previous firmware, but if anyone else has had this issue, please let me know by replying.