Multiple Users' Permissions for Shared Users

I installed a Wyze camera last November at my 82 years old mother in Buenos Aires, I leave in Chicago US. Her wifi router has been updated since them. She has been able to share her camera, but the “View Playback” function as been lost.

She is by her self during the COVID-19 quarantine. For privacy reasons the camera is in a Living room area but if she is in her bedroom for a long time. I need to know when was the last time that she was moving around to know if she is ok, or if I need to call for help. In the past, the “View Playback” function allowed me to go back and see that.

I will appreciate it if you can assist me in setting up the View Playback function on my mon’s a shared camera.

Thank you,

3 Likes

@lopezerb,

I have moved your wishlist submission to this existing topic. This is one of the things being requested here. But unfortunately, while it is being researched by Wyze, it is still a ways off.

In the mean time, your best bet is to get your mom’s Wyze login credentials from her, then sign into her account in the Wyze app. You will then have full access. This assumes, of course, that’s she’s willing to give you those credentials.

2 Likes

You can setup that camera under your username having her doing it with your credentials. Or you can add it by having your mom show the barcode to the camera during setup process when you’ll be on video conference call. You may need an additional mobile device for this.

1 Like

Custom user permissions should be a fundamental feature. When can we expect this to happen?

3 Likes

Yes this should be a software priority.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @scottmcd404. This topic is tagged “researching”. If Wyze decides to add this request to the list of features, then it will get moved to the #roadmap category and be tagged “in-development”. :slight_smile:

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

2 Likes

Looking at the wishlist, I’m not too hopeful this will happen quickly. You got a usb firmware now to use the cam as a webcam - not sure that was a wishlist or not but seems that effort could have been directed at some highly desired wishlist items.

2 Likes

Like a scale? That was pretty high on the wish list wasn’t it? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Read my mind! But then I’m not a millennial who needs a smart scale to tell them they’re overweight. Plus these things do not read specific impulses used by real medical devices to determine body fat, muscle mass, etc - only thing they can do is calculate BMI, which can be done in any halfway decent health or fitness app by simply entering weight and height. And don’t get me started on a band to track sleep!

1 Like

BMI has been proven to not be accurate anyway. BMI is not a good way to evaluate whether you’re healthy or not.

I will admit that I got the band but I didn’t get it for any of that help things her sleep patterns or anything like that I got it for the Alexa and the home automation aspects of it. Now if it was just a fitness band like a Fitbit or something like that I would’ve passed on it too. The scale to me seems like someone’s pet project

1 Like

We just returned a 90 camera & sensor order and will be looking to a competitive solution for this order plus a total of 415 cameras across multiple properties very soon. We manage building & residential operations for hospitals, healthcare, multi family residential & universities. After some initial success with Wyze across some of our smaller properties, this very issue has caused us to hard stop using them. COVID has dramatically increased the need for physical security and our business. After multiple calls to the company and researching these forums, here is what’s terribly disappointing to us, all due to this topic:

1. The huge customer demand / outcry for more granular controls with their products - They can’t even come up with a logical two tier security model, so forget granularity
  2. When we realized just how long people have been asking for this functionality
  3. Wyze doesn’t manufacture their own hardware, so what are these “other” development priorities? (the stupid weight scale? Who are you, FitBit?)
  4. The company’s own lax security posture causing such a massive data breach, it’s become very clear that product & data governance, risk & compliance is not their forte
  5. Treating RTSP like it’s a South Korean boy band fad, and sort of getting on the bandwagon but not enough to pick which one’s the cutest

In the end, the dummy was us in believing without completely researching up front that Wyze was a serious innovation company built for and to scale. From the age & depth of these comments, their product management strategy is clear: Create some pretty packaging and fire as many cheap OEM products as they can at the wall and see what sticks, but core competency, vertical market penetration and product satisfaction are tertiary priorities.

Wyze, how unwise.

2 Likes

I’ve been telling people that Wyze is putting out products that are not consumer ready. They are not reacting to the wish list at all. And early access is actually beta testing that we pay full price for and then spend months getting it ready so they can roll it out to the mass public and it still might not be ready ie the smart lock. So I am completely with you. There may be some products that I buy from them and there may be a lot I pass up. Take the band as an example yes it was only $25. And I bought it but I know that it will not work straight out of the box it will take months for it to get the functionality that they are praising it for. Where I could spend $200 on an Apple Watch take it out of the box and it’s going to function perfectly from day one. Because Apple put the time and effort into making it consumer ready before they put it out. That’s where the price difference comes in. Wyze makes it sound like everybody else is overcharging when in fact everybody else is just making a complete product and that cost money. I think people are starting to see through the veil of ways in all of their don’t look at what the right hand is doing just pay attention to the left hand type situation. And I don’t blame you I would’ve returned it all too

2 Likes

You’ve actually worded this very well.
I genuinely believe that the Wyze founders and staff are good people with good intentions but if the past year is any indication I’m not sure about the longevity of the company.
You can’t take a year to determine how to ship your products to Canada and Mexico. Call Amazon, they’ll handle it for you for the time being. Austrailia and the UK also want Wyze products.
Very simple programming issues like dark mode seem to be completely ignored.
Android tablets haven’t been able to upgrade or ititially install the spp for the past two or three releases.
I hope Wyze can stick around. Rebranding fitness bands snd scales while ignoring the current problems is shortsighted.

3 Likes

I said people are starting to see through the veil of Wyze. It’s only taken a couple years but people are starting to see that it’s all smoke and mirrors. Yes we’re paying minimal amounts for a product but there’s a reason for that. It’s not a complete product when we buy it at EA, we don’t get a discount for buying it EA and yet we willingly go four or five months doing all kinds of troubleshooting and testing and finding bugs and fixing them for free so that they can then launch the product to the public consumer ready, supposedly. Look at the lock even after it was launched to the public it still has issues. Can you name one product that they’ve launched that didn’t have issues? Especially at the EA launch? When I pay full price for something I don’t care if it’s early access or seven months later I want to work out of the box. And I can guarantee you that my band will not work as they have stated and praised straight out of the box. And now they say they’re going to get the outdoor camera a doorbell and a thermostat out this year. They just started asking about the thermostat like two weeks ago. And they’re going to develop it and have it ready for sale in 6-7 months? We all know that they don’t really build anything they “borrow” technology from other companies, say they tweak it here and there and then resell it. That’s all they’re doing.

And the wish list is a joke. There’s zero organization to it. And they obviously aren’t taking the items with the most votes as priority or they wouldn’t of made a scale for one thing. The band that I can kind of understand because it has Alexa built into it and will run your home automation stuff. But who in the world asked for a scale? That is a head scratcher for everybody. The only reason it sold was price. And we are still waiting on the keypad that we were supposed to get with the deadbolt. It was supposed to be released at the same time. And for what we paid for the deadbolt and all the issues we’ve had quite frankly the keypad should be free. They can argue that all they want but I know all the issues I’ve had with my two deadbolts one was a replacement so yeah I feel like my keypad should be free.

2 Likes

100% agree - I bought one v2 to watch my front door area because our current location is gated and we have very little need to spend Ring type prices for our very low risk need, and I’ll never buy anything that requires a subscription, also the V2 seemed like a good option considering it was advertised as having person detection. Great, a simple option to watch the front in case there‘s someone sneaking into the community to steal packages. However the problems with person detection render it highly unreliable. Great now I’m a beta tester for the new AI - which has been about as smooth a process as what I’ve read about every other wyze product - as smooth as riding over a cobblestone roadway in a go cart, I’m pretty much no longer considering wyze for home security when we move. They ignore the most desired customer demands and do whatever the heck they feel will generate some short term revenue. The products they push out work like they are a high school coding project for the annual science fair. This multiple user permission request has been lingering for how long? Meanwhile Dongsheng announced a usb firmware to use a wyze cam as a web cam tethered to a computer USB port - did any one here ask for this? Sure great, how many do not already have a web cam on their laptop or tablet I guess if it can reach a spot of interest to monitor then maybe it can be viewed remotely. Certainly is not satisfying the long running PC/browser access wishlist that’s been the number one requested feature since I started here about 6 mo ago. Anyway, with 100s of millions of potential buyers, they can probably survive for some time since not all customers will rush to dump wyze. But eventually the reviews will start to get worse and competitors will swoop in. My only other thought is that they are pushing out products to get enough attention to become an acquisition target so the top execs can make a windfall profit and retire young or move on to the next start up and repeat the process until they are so filthy rich they no longer care to build anything.

we need to be able to transfer ownership to others or at least add users as admins so that they can adjust camera settings. Right now we can not even change our account email so this is something else that would be extremely useful.

2 Likes

@mattkparsons, I have merged your wishlist submission here. Be sure to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.

For the 2nd part of your request, see this separate #wishlist topic:

These links will help you search in the future:

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after #wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

1 Like

This has 527 votes. There are other wish list topics that have three times as many votes and haven’t been tackled yet so I don’t see this happening anytime soon. Although I totally agree with you and I like your post and I voted for this along time ago

1 Like

Didn’t realize email can’t be changed. That’s absurd! I know it’s the account login but inability to change it is beyond unreasonable. What if someone uses an isp email like att.com and they move and change their isp so no longer have the original email anymore? They have to abandon their wyze equipment? Glad I’m not heavily invested in wyze devices!

No, you don’t have to abandon the equipment. But you do have to start a new account and set it all up again from scratch. I agree it should not have to be that way and so does Wyze. They are working on figuring out how to make it possible to change your account email without resetting devices. There’s apparently some technical details in the infrastructure that makes it non-trivial to implement.

BTW, on the forum side, we can change your email for you, so you don’t lose your forum identity and history.