Motion Detection Zone Set, but Not Working

I cannot get the detection area to work at all. Is there some trick? It’s triggering on leaf movement and I don’t want it to do that, so I excluded that area and it did nothing.

I have the same issue with my v3. Motion zones are useless. They do absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

Same thing here.
It faces a window with blinds and I completely excluded this area. Yet, I constantly receive notifications of detected movement right there. Usually, a very tiny lighting change is enough to trigger it.

The exclusion area is definitely not working on my V3.

1 Like

How do you adjust the detection box size? I’m having this problem on my v3.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @Obi-Wan-YJ & @dagmandt!

I have handfuls of V3 in service and have tested them using the DZ through each Beta test and production release firmware. The DZ is working on each of mine.

It is important to know what firmware version you are running to determine any issues that might be going on with the DZ.

One thing to note is that the DZ, when used with AI Event Recording, employs Overlap logic. The motion event will have to be initiated by a pixelation lighting change in the Included DZ, but if the object being interrogated and tagged by the AI bot is only slightly into that Included DZ, the entire object is considered for AI tagging even though the majority of the object is in the Excluded DZ.

The DZ is adjusted in the Detection Settings → Detection Zone. The block size is preset and cannot be resized. A shaded block is Excluded from motion detection (top 2\3 of my screenshot), an unshaded block is Included (bottom 1\3).

I’m running 4.36.9.139, which is the latest firmware. The more I watch it, the more I think that my problem isn’t so much that the detection zone isn’t working, but that the green box around motion events is way too large, and the corners of that box (which contain no motion) overlap into my detection zone. Is there any way to make that green detection box (not the zone) smaller so it fits more tightly around the circular headlights that I’m seeing all night?

I’ve attached screenshots showing my situation. A road runs along the horizon, which is curved due to the angle at which my camera is pointed. I have a fairly thin strip of land between the street and my driveway, and it runs diagonally. If I make the detection zone so generous that it blocks off the headlights on the street, then it doesn’t cover my driveway, which is pointless. If we had a tighter grid for the detection zone, I might be able to separate my driveway from the horizon.

The green Motion Tracking box has absolutely no function except as a visual reference for you. It has no function on the server. It is an overlay for the user added by the firmware that is of fixed specification. It is On or Off and will in no way affect the number of motion detection activations you get. It is also NOT marking the movement that may have activated the video or the object that was tagged. It is just the biggest, fastest, moving object at that particular time. You will see no change in your notifications or event videos with it off.

When inspecting videos to determine what activated a motion event or what was being tagged by the AI, The Motion Tracking box is next to useless. Wyze Cams trigger motion on changes in the shading of adjacent pixels (light added or removed). Any changes in lighting or color change in adjacent pixels will trigger activation according to your sensitivity settings.

The only modifications to the DZ that may improve your situation and decrease activations may be to exclude the marked boxes.

When I first set up my cams w\ CamPlus, I also got motion alerts due to headlights. Using the DZ to restrict helped some. But, turning off the All Other Motion alerts but keeping the AI alerts on really did the trick. I also filter all the motion events out in the Events tab.

For me, I can block out the entire area and it still triggers on motion. It is absolutely useless.

1 Like

You haven’t provided much detail other than claiming it is useless twice. That’s not really enough to elicit helpful responses that will assist you in getting your cam running as it should.

I have been using Wyze V3 Cams extensively for quite some time with many in active operation. I have also personally tested the V3 cams through every beta and production firmware version that has been released for quite a while now. My DZs are operating quite well.

• What firmware version is installed on your cams?
  • Is this happening on a single cam or multiple cams?
  • Are you referring to Event Videos or SD Playback motion activated videos?
  • Can you provide a screenshot of your current DZ?
  • When it activates a motion video, is there any change to the lighting anywhere in the included DZ?
  • What is your motion sensitivity set to?

blacked out area should not be triggering motion- correct?
yet it does repeatedly. every vehicle that goes by. motion sensitivity 62 currently - tried vehicle, package detection off
firmware up to date 4.36.9.139

1 Like

I only have the Cam Plus Lite but have found that even if a glare goes into the detection box it send notification. Not sure where you are getting the detection showing, but if that is part of the road on the top part of the right side of your truck roof you will need to block that out too. But if it is where your grid box corners are near the road my only solution is to add boxes there, but then you are also blocking valuable detection space. This is also my complaint with Wyze grids as the boxes are way to big. Because I have to add extra boxes to prevent one area from notifiying while that box addition has covered an area I need detected. People have been asking for smaller grid boxes for over 2 yrs now.

thanks for responding. getting notified for areas well within blacked out area.

Detection zone doesnt work on my doorbell cam or floodlight cam.

For the doorbell, I have my flag blurred out yet it still triggers motion.

For my floodlight, I have my patio table cover blurred, yet when it moves in the wind it triggers motion.

This has been going on for many years. I cant increase the sensitivity then because all it does is trigger motion on something that should not be there.

1 Like

I would be interested in seeing the DZ and the motion event videos. It is possible that other light changes or slight motion in the included DZ is initiating the video.

The doorbell doesnt have a green box but the flag is definately triggering it.
The floodlight cam showss the green box triggering the motion exactly over the area i have blurred out.

The green box doesn’t give you much to go on when determining what initiated a motion event. It is applied by the cam to mark motion after the event has been initiated.

The reason is because Wyze uses overlap logic in their motion detection and DZ code. If motion is perceived in light pixelation changes on the very edge of the separation line between the active and inactive DZ, the entire object is identified and marked even if the majority of the object is within the excluded DZ. This also applies to how the AI Bot interrogates and and tags objects.

You may have some perceived motion on the edges of the DZ which initiate the event, the cam picks up that motion and sees there is a larger motion object attached to it and motion tags the entire object. This happens when the DZ is too tight\small around the moving object.

That’s why it is important to view the DZ and the Video with the green motion tracking box off.

1 Like