Motion Algorithm to Ignore Blowing Leaves/Shadows/Bugs/Snow/Rain/Headlights/Flags

Cam V3 reporting lighting change, including shadow movements events

Please work on improving the AI of this cam so as not to trigger the motion detection event for lighting changes including shadow movements. This is a big failure for Wyze and I am considering changing all my 4 cameras to Ring since their AI is able to differentiate between actual motion events and shadow/lighting changes.

3 Likes

Motion Sensing Ignore Waving Branches

My V2 is aimed out my front window and depending on the wind direction, gets dozens of false detections from the moving shrubs / branches, even it seems when the pixels are blanked out in Detection Zone settings. An algorithm that detects repetitive motion in the same pixel set and disables it should be easy.

Ignore plant sway

Not sure how hard it would be but it would be great if the camera picked up something moving across or within the field of view, rather than a plant setting in the breeze causing an event which is something we do not really need to get events over.

This is a big failure for Wyze, Today I got more than 100 notifications for the movements of leaf shadows and lighting changes, Planning to change from wyze to other products and stop this useless cam plus subscription.

It seems Wyze don’t listen to customers.

3 Likes

I fully understand you frustrations. I use detection zones trying to limit false alerts ( plant movements) unfortunately nearly all of my alerts are plant movement.
Regards
Graeme

2 Likes

Stop picking up bugs and snow

I wish they would figure out a firmware update that would stop my wyze cams from taking 100+ videos a night because it snowed… I love wyze but this is ridiculous

Camera as outdoor motion detector needs some optimizing

Just feedback:

I’ve got a camera over my front door, plugged in via the light adapter. I was hoping to use a simple rule to turn the attached light on when someone walked up my front path and steps

Unfortunately it’s a short path, so if I use Person detection it doesn’t actually finish processing and respond until they’re already up the steps. Less than useful for someone who wants light on the approach.

If I don’t use Person, the camera turns on the lights every time a car goes by and projects moving shadows into the area. I get too much traffic for that to be a good solution.

Could try switching to a “real” motion detector triggering camera and lights, but (a) I don’t currently have an outdoor-suitable motion detector and (2) it seems a bit silly when I already have a camera watching the steps. Besides (iii) I’m not sure whether motion detector would reject the projections either.

Any chance we could get a camera setting that specifically rejects headlight projections, and responds more rapidly than person detection?

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Motion Detect - Lighting Change Detection.

1 Like

4 Years later… and it’s not going to change folks.

We want to love Wyze, but the sad truth is, we should move on to more expensive, better software products. :confused:

1 Like

Well, you get what you pay for. I got my V2’s new for $8 a piece and I think they were well worth that money but it’s always been my plan to upgrade to a higher quality, but MUCH more expensive, IP camera. At this point, these things aren’t perfect but they give me better piece of mind than I had w/o them. The V3 is definitely better than the V2 but still has its issues. Sound from the wind trips it and movement from bushes does as well. and none of the built-in camera speakers are useful

1 Like

I started transitioning to Eufy, build quality is much better. Still think wyze has a place in the market for what they offer at the pricepoint, but I’ve grown up as a consumer, and it doesn’t seem like Wyze has any interest in keeping up. Willing to pay a lot more for features and build quality.

I find it interesting that Wyze bemoans the high cost of Data hosting in their sales pitch for pay-walling features, yet most of what they’re paying to host is garbage clips of false detects. If they focused on improving the AI and released paywall detection features to general users, it would likely offset the loss of revenue through hosting cost savings.

1 Like

We are constantly working on ways to improve our algorithm and implement new ways to reduce false alerts. This is something that will never be perfect no matter how hard we try so it will probably sit on the wish list in ‘testing’ status even though we are constantly working on it.

2 Likes

On my v3 cam I am constantly seeing events triggered by rain and snow. I like providing feedback to improve the AI but since there is no weather or rain or snow option I usually don’t submit. Sometimes I do nothing but it really is something but usually don’t submit. Put rain and snow as options. Outdoor cams don’t trigger on rain and snow.

Flag The Flags

I would really like to see the system detect the flag waving for the cameras.

I’ve had to take down my American flag because the system will not flag and ignore it.

Flags have a certain pattern in their movement that should be easy to differentiate from something like a bush or tree.

I’ve had to give up my flag for the safety of my wife, as a veteran I have a problem with that.

Cheers!

Rain drives my ODPC v3 crazy !
(Motion tracking set @ #1)

Is there any way during a rain event,
“Smart Detection”, can handle or filter out this ?

Since rain event(s), now appear to last longer and can be heavy @ times, too.

Ok I’m responding to a comment from 5 years ago, “we are exploring ways to improve detection”. I think it’s generally pretty good now! But I get a lot of false alarms at night from passing cars and the shadows they create. I’m sure you’ll keep improving the detection algorithms but one easy way to deal with this specific problem would be to give the user more control as suggested here and here. If I could define a night-time detection zone that avoids the areas near the road, and/or define separate zones for detection and notification, that would go a LONG way, it would eliminate that majority of the undesired notifications.

Any progress? With AI?

I don’t know where to post this. But I think an easier and more realistic solution would be if you could potentially create a “retroactive detection zone” for your recorded events somehow.

Lets say I have 500 videos of a leaf blowing in the wind. I could have just tapped a couple boxes in the Detection Zone feature to avoid that, if I knew a leaf was going to blow in the wind at the top of a shrub all afternoon. But I didn’t know. So why can’t I just do it after the fact, assuming that the system understands what pixels were changed to trigger a motion event recording? I mean, clearly Wyze has the technology to understand pixel changes in your event recordings, even as they occur (you can track motion with a little green box and the Pan scan can even attempt to follow it.) Their tech for that is way better than AI detection (obviously, its a way easier and simpler thing to do).

If I could just go to my events page and filter all the events already recorded under a new detection zone setting, I could suddenly have the ability to filter out ALL OF THOSE recordings and see what else happened during the afternoon outside of that one pesky leaf flapping in the wind. I could easily see the events that were triggered by motion outside of that detection zone. No AI would be needed at all. The user just sets the detection zone and maybe the time (today 11am-3pm) and we would have the chance to delete or filter events that give us this issue.

Of course, if someone were to sneak into your house the second AFTER a leaf is blowing in the wind, but motion recording was triggered by a leaf in the wind, I don’t know how if the tech is going to be advanced enough to filter in everything that happens outside the detection zone too if thats not what actually triggered the event. So maybe it can’t go that far. But still it would be a start.

Its not perfect but I think it would be kind of an easier solution for this issue then waiting for algorithms to happen around Wyze’s AI development process.

2 Likes

This is actually a really interesting/cool idea. I think this could be used for other things as well. For example, if you want to see events of people using a specific door in view, but not other events of people walking around, you could filter events by a custom, temporary, zone.

You should create a separate wishlist request for this feature, if not I can.

I don’t think that would work as well in reality as you’re thinking. You’d likely spend too much time playing around with it as you’d likely never be happy.

This is a problem not easily solved by any means. Can indeed throw different things at it but you could more easily build a bubble around your home and solve your leaf motion issue.

1 Like