Mark Events In SD Card Playback

I 100% agree that navigating the timeline while continuous recording to SDCard is difficult. I think the suggestions to color code the events (not teal) and using the left right buttons to navigate just to events instead of 12 hour jump is more useful.

Since this conversation has been going on for two years I think we can conclude it is not important enough to assign an engineer at Wyze to implement this feature. They are continuously rolling out new products (congratulations) and I’m sure that consumes all of their resources.

However, @UserCustomerGwen, I feel it’s important to you, too, to get more customers. When I try to show someone how it works and I struggle to with a basic function like this, people are not convinced this is the best product to buy. Please make it easy to do this for our sake and yours.

7 Likes

I’ve seen this request since the very beginning…haven’t checked back for a while, was so hoping something have been improved. This is the only reason why I use other brands in my high traffic areas.

1 Like

It has been over two years since this first appeared. How many votes do we need before this makes it onto the roadmap? Everyone I’ve talked to about this is like “yeah I like that idea”. PLEASE find a way to make this happen WYZE!

1 Like

Yes, we definitely need this feature, how do we vote this up?

1 Like

Go to the very first post in this thread…then look to the left side of the page. You’ll see where to click.

The lack of motion/person markers in continuous recording to SD Card allowed a burglar to get away with $500 worth of tools even though I have (4) Wyze Cams that would all catch them on video.

This is the scenario. At our vacation home we have (4) Wyze cams covering outdoors and in the garage. There was a power failure and when power came back on, the WiFi router failed to start up correctly. So no alerts from the Wyze Cams. Four days later I went to our vacation home and got WiFi working again. I then noticed the missing tools in the garage.

I though no issue, I will see who did it on the Wyze Cams. But they were all set to continuous recording so I had four days of video in each camera with no way to tell when motion or people motion was detected. So it was impossible to watch that much video so the burglar got away with the theft.

As others have said, if the cams are set to record motion only, there are markers in the timeline. Just migrate these markers to the continuous recordings.

5 Likes

I agree, Don’t worry Wyze this will not detract from people buying camplus.

Sorry to hear about your theft. I would have pulled the SD cards and used a PC to go through them over the course of time. Heck, during COVID if you have any kids this would be sure to keep them busy!

Yes, this feature is desperately needed, but I’m guessing a complete nightmare to code. Try to get more forum members to up vote this…I know I will.

Yep, completely understand your frustration. I have been waiting for this feature to be implemented for 1-2 years. My guess is that they want to push CAM Plus but even that has issues and wonder if that would have worked for your situation with no WiFi…probably not. I gave my Wyze cams to my parents and moved to Eufy cams. The indoor models are priced anywhere from $30-$52 depending on features and type and often come with free Amazon prime shipping. They clearly mark the events in the continuous recording timeline and have free human detection AI built into the device itself so the notifications are much faster. There are however, trade offs to consider. No free cloud service like Wyze and much less community oriented support to name a few.

Cam Plus would not have helped as alerts are not buffered in the cams. So just like person detection, no alerts, no markers in SD card continuous timeline. I have changed all cams to record motion only for now, but will take a look at the Eufy cams.

1 Like

Having used other products, I think the implementation of the Live screen and Playback screen should be merged.
Additional features:

• when moving to the past on the time line to a spot where there is no recording, payback should jump forward to the next recording or live view.
  • when nonstop recording, mark events on the time line with a different color.
    Thank you for reading.
2 Likes

I seriously need you guys to implement the ability for me to enter in a beginning and ending time stamp, then just be able to download the footage from that time period.

Use case: I am not able to go home and retrieve the SD card from my camera - By being able to select the start and end time and directly download it THAT CHUNK of video to my phone I can back it up to my phone and play it back FROM my phone.

As it is right now, I currently had something happen on my property in front of my cameras, I’m not able to return home to retrieve the SD card, so I am sitting here watching the entire video with the record button pressed “Recording” saved footage in real time, and every TEXT, CALL, Notification ANYTHING messes up the audio in the final finished “recording”.

Please god implement this its been years

4 Likes

Catching up on this thread, I didn’t realize ‘Mark Events in Playback’ was it’s own thread, we’ve been talking about it in the Fast Forward/Rewind In Playback - #480 by jason.weber

I feel like these almost need to be merged together under a ‘Improve playback experience’ thread. Marking the events goes hand in hand with actually getting to the footage. I am a believer in making the timeline experience easy and efficient to scrub through and navigate to events. Since events will never be captured perfectly every time it makes sense to be able to see whats happening before or after that event in the context of the overall timeline.

I’m glad this is being researched.

5 Likes

On the timeline which runs below the video it would be really helpful to have a “marker” where motion or sound notifications take place. I was at an appointment where I got a notification and saw a car arrive. Trying to find that event again on the time line when I was finished with the appointment was near impossible.
Another option would be a cronological text file accessible from the ap that simply noted the notifications and the time of those notifications .
Thanks
Rick

1 Like

They locked the conversation for Rewind/Fast Forward, I just wanted to share my experience with Eufy, I tried their indoor cam to see how the software worked. Continuous recording just like Wyze with an sd card.

They actually put color markers in the timeline and it’s incredibly helpful but not always 100%. I suspect there’s a sensitivity level you can set because I found it marking the bigger motion events like someone passing by vs a sleeping cat adjusting. But I was surprised how just adding markers made such a difference.

But they also have pet and human detection built in which allows you to choose which detections you want to get notified. So if you just want alerts for people walking by you can.

Its not perfect by any means but the thing I found most helpful was the playback speed. You can choose from 1x all the way to 16x! So you can actually scan your footage! Not buttery smooth like Google’s Nest indoor cam, but who wants to pay $150 plus $6/month no thank you!

The Eufy cam is larger than Wyze and not as easily hidden but it gives you at least some way of reviewing footage that’s bearable and without any subscription. The Wyze experience is still super painful, I hope Wyze can see what others are doing and continue to improve its camera software.

@MOM @TokyoJim @nypconsult @RedbeardPete @scottannunziata @jerrys @appleguru @Ken.S @kjj902 @sodcam

3 Likes

Just got a Wyze survey about their cameras, asking about my interest in pet features or a web portal, sadly no mention of improvements to playback or timeline :slightly_frowning_face:

@UserCustomerGwen can we get improvements to the basics before adding more bells and whistles?

3 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree that more improvements are needed in Playback. If I have continuous recording on, I need to also be able to see where motion or sound events have occurred. Otherwise the timeline is useless. The timeline slider also needs to be able to be zoomed, so that normal human fingers can move the slider in a more fine-grained way.

1 Like

Wyze still has not done this?! My Eufy cams do this directly from their SD card with continuous recording enabled. Wyze needs to get on the ball with this and not make everything just for Cam Plus. Just shocked at how far behind Wyze has fallen with basic free features other competing cameras have had for a while now.

3 Likes

Agree 100 percent! Wyze quit dragging your feet? Make it happen!

Reading through this thread and it amazes me that 3 years later it’s still in the researching stage. It’s not difficult that when the AI within the camera detects an event it immediately sends it to the cloud. At that time it should place a marker within playback for continuous recording to mark where movement was detected. Most security cameras have this. I love Wyze and their products but a lot of things seem half baked and it’s starting to become VERY frustrating.

I am almost to the point of returning everything and going with someone else that thought of this before releasing the product. It seems the development team needs to start thinking things through a little better. I am dealing with a security system that my wife has to use my account. When you have products like your scale that are specific to one user it makes it a severe PITA. Along with the cameras not marking an event when they mark and event and upload boggles my mind. Let alone 3 years later we are still waiting for it. This seems to be a false promise with no action being taken.

You guys make some good products but your development is seriously lacking.

2 Likes