Make it make sense!

Today I had a delivery person walk up to my floodlight and trigger it on

But then a car pulling into my driveway doesn’t trigger the floodlight on , I don’t get it

The floodlights set to only turn on when motions detected by the pir sensor , pir sensor range at 50% and the pir sensitivity is set to LOW. Yet constantly will fail to trigger on when the car pulls up right underneath it

The pir sensor has a mind of its own

1 Like

I do not have a Wyze Floodlight. I only have an old dumb PIR activated Floodlight mounted at about the same height as yours. I also have a V3 mounted just over it, a V3Pro at 7ft ht 12 feet to the left and a V3 at 6 ft ht 12 feet to the right all blasting IR into the field on high.

But, I will tell you that my PIR floodlight will tag me from 30 or 40 feet and trip the lights. I have cats, racoons, dogs, foxes, possums, etc., that will trip the PIR from 20+ ft. However, when I drive my car up to the garage, it won’t trip the PIR until I am about directly under the light.

I have a PIR motion detector inside my garage. When I pull into the garage, within 6 feet of the sensor, it will only trigger after I exit the vehicle and close the door.

Cars have very good insulation these days under the hood and do not give off a centralized heat signature like people and animals do. If you were to look at these in a color IR image, you will note that most of the heat is being vented under the car and out the wheel wells, not from the top of the car. And, what heat is radiating from the top is being dissipated and spread across a large area, it is not concentrated

It is understandable that the PIR doesn’t trigger on the car. PIR sensors don’t work too well on cars.

That is where the Wyze Floodlight could really make a difference if the sensitivity of the cam detection and the PIR detection could be fine tuned to the point where they work in tandem to pick up and trigger on the objects the other one doesn’t. The cam activation could have probably triggered the light with a motion or AI Tag activation.

6 Likes

Well slab made very good sense out of it. Shorter answer - use the camera’s video chip motion detection for cars, not a heat based PIR sensor.

4 Likes

I like this topic title, made me smile… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

This makes sense as the floodlight is set to pir sensing only but the sensitivity is set to Low . I do find that the pir sensing only has trouble when I’m wearing a jacket or not showing any skin to radiate heat to trigger it on .

The white van pulling up and parking right their seems to not trigger it on but my sedan when I’m pulling into my driveway and parking underneath the carport will trigger it on… so it definitely gets triggered on by cars . It just seems that the van is at a weird spot and maybe the pir sensor isn’t covering that area too well…

The problem is that the v3’s are too sensitive so if I set the floodlight to trigger on by camera detection then the floodlight would constantly be getting triggered .

But not if you have CamPlus with car detection?

This is a possibility. Or your sedan is radiating more concentrated heat than the van is.

It is also possible that the sensitivity isn’t high enough for vehicles at a distance.

I don’t have a floodlight. Is it able to trigger specific to AI detections? or just motion only?

Me neither but I assumed there’s a rule for it.

1 Like

I got confused . I thought you meant to use the camera detection setting for the floodlight .

In the floodlight settings you can set it so that when the camera detects motion it’ll trigger on the floodlights…

That’s why I said that if I use the camera detection to trigger on the floodlight it would trigger on the floodlight all night long bc the v3’s are sensitive you know…

You can set up a rule to trigger on the floodlights to turn on when a vehicle is detected but the problem is since we all know if any motion happens in frame when theirs a vehicle it’ll trigger a vehicle event so then the floodlights would be getting triggered all the time , currently this camera seems to be having issues with detecting a moving vehicle and the parked vehicle. For some reason when the van is pulling into the driveway and parking the AI will label it as motion , but when the vehicle is parked and theirs motion in frame it’ll label it as vehicle… ,

Also if i set up a rule to trigger it on when it detects a vehicle it’ll be around 7 seconds . Rn that’s how long it takes to trigger an event and notify me

2 Likes

So you’re going to have to run a tripwire like in the original Mission Impossible TV series. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m going to experiment w\ some Wyze Motion Sensors outdoors for my floodlights and see if I can’t break them. If those don’t work I am going to consider the YoLink outdoor PIR’s or a laser trip sensor.

1 Like

Something else to consider here is that the Headlights are pointed pretty much right at the floodlight, so if there is some kind of photosensor in the floodlight (which I think there is), then it might’ve registered that there was already a ton of light outside, so the floodlights were not needed.

For example, a lot of people only have their lights come on “at night”…so the camera will still register motion and record events, but it’s possible that the floodlights themselves thought they didn’t need to turn on if the photosensor thought it was already really bright out there (because headlights were lighting it up already). Assuming they’re set to only come on when it’s in dark conditions.

That is, assuming there might be a photosensor involved, which there may not be. IDK.

Regardless, the PIR is a great hypothesis, though I would be fairly surprised, because lots of vehicles driving past my house will trigger PIR sensors because of the engines giving off a ton of heat, let alone this time of year when everyone is heating the inside a ton too, and no matter how much insulation it has, it’s still going to be insanely more heated than the rest of the ambient temperature outside it was previously recording (cement, the air, cold ground, etc, particularly at night)…

Though it is fairly well know that PIR works better when things move perpendicular to it’s aim (across the front), instead of straight at it, so that could part of the issue.

2 Likes

I also wonder this.

2 Likes