Loss of Communication/Network Connection Notification & Log

I realized I would like a notification for a network disconnect, for a specific period of time. If there is the service enabled-contintuous recording- then I would like a notification of there is a period of network disconnection when the connection is reestablished.

I assume this function will also expose more wyze network connection issues.

Right now my basic setup has been one wyze cam with one smart plug. I have lost interest to find out why sometime the cams lose connection to app. I just recycle the smart plug to restart the cam. 99.99% chance will resolve the issue.

How does your smart plug know when to recycle? Do you do it manually when you notice that the camera is offline, or have you figure out a way for the smart plug to know when the camera goes offline?

Iā€™ve been using Frontpoint security in my home since 2012 and havenā€™t had an issue until this past week. There was a power outage and the backup battery died. Frontpoint never called me to tell me my system was offline. Now Iā€™m on the lookout for a new system.

Frontpoint had a weak response regarding this issue of mine.

I hope wyze will incorporate a notification for any disruptions such as this in their security system. I am just lucky nothing happened to my home while my system was offline for 3 days.

1 Like

Can you create ability for the APP to notify us when the camera is disconnected from the WIFI. Paying for motion record it goes to your servers so there has to be a way to tell me if the camera is offline, rather than logging in to the app and see , ā€œoh, its offlineā€, guess i did not see that person break my windowā€¦ Even if the app sent notification hey i can;t reach the camera it must be offline. Thanks in advance for letting me post on your wish listā€¦

1 Like

this is must have functionality. especially when camera installed in garage or far away.
2 years :frowning: ago, looks unreal

1 Like

As a security professional who is board certified in security management, the absence of this feature is troubling, and might indicate the absence of security professionals with sufficient training and experience on the Wyze board or staff. In fact, this feature is so important that its absence means Wyze cameras are more novelty or pet cameras than security cameras.

3 Likes

Well said

they probably do have one. They probably just donā€™t listen to them. I cant tell you how many times I have spoken up to companies I have worked for about security only to have them dismissed.

2 Likes

This is a very common problem that risk managers and security professional face. Until something goes wrong.

2 Likes

Agree with all the above posters!

OK, so Wyze cams respond to pings on the LAN.

And you can give them a fixed IP on the LAN so you can always find them.

And there are tons of free ping monitoring tools and services available - Uptime Robot, HealthChecks, Free Ping Tool, etc,

So it seems that there almost has to be some free/cheap way to run a ping monitor inside your firewall (on an extra PC/Android/iOS device) that will send you an SMS alert when a cam is down?? (without learning to be a programmer :wink:)

I have not found it yet, but am still lookingā€¦

1 Like

I have installation with cheap 3g to WIFI router-stick and this cam. There is no dedicated IP to ping it.
there should be push from camera (like Iā€™m here - all ok) if no push in 5 - 10 minutes then alert trigger.
It looks like no need in immediate alerting when power down, but I should know that something happens to fix it.

1 Like

Understood, and definitely AGREE that the Wyze cams should have some ability to send a ā€œIā€™m aliveā€ heartbeat signal! No excuses for not having this feature.

Like you, I have a cheap mobile hotspot feeding rural Wyze cams, and my current workaround to let me know the cams are inaccessible is to use the free Hobbyist level of the healthchecks.io service. It sends an SMS text message to my phone within seconds of missing a scheduled ping.

It works by pinging outward from my LAN to their servers, so having a dynamic IP number on the hotspot is not a problem.

But there are two big drawbacks to my system -
a) I have to leave a device at the location running all the time to do the outbound pinging and
b) it does not actually tell me if any one cam is offline, just if the internet feed or pinging device is down - which usually means that all cams are offline and can no longer be viewed remotely.

There many ways to accomplish the outbound pinging, but I use PowerShell and Task Scheduler on a spare Windows box:

Itā€™s just a halfway solution, but has proven very helpful in alerting me to when I need to go have a look-see at the remote cameras.

2 Likes

That would be nice. Right now most of my sensors and a camera are NOT connecting properly. Iā€™ve done all the power cycling but no joy.

Iā€™m wondering if the cameras and sensors that cost 10 times more are any more consistent in keeping the connection. Iā€™m betting NO. NOTHING is perfect. And it most certainly is NOT like you see on TV. Iā€™m betting the multi-thousand dollar security systems arenā€™t even that good. If they arenā€™t, Iā€™d keep that secret too.

Dang, thereā€™s another device I need to suggest. Now, its two. A plug with Bluetooth or 4G to notify us if the power goes out, and refrigerator sensors (cooler and freezer) that monitor the temperature. Then there is the crawlspace humidity sensor (at least a three pack) which makes 3 device suggestions.

Hi Wyze! I have my cameras all on Wi-Fi plugs- some wyze plugs and some not. My request is for a notification that the camera has disconnected or ā€œlost powerā€. If this enhancement is able to be done, it will really help ensure that my cameras keep recording and Iā€™m notified right away of a shut down. I tried to see if there was an IFTTT trigger but found none.

2 Likes

They need to do this! If someone can shut your power off they can get around your cameras.

1 Like

Sometimes my cameras go offline without my knowledge for various reasons. I would like to get notified whenever a device goes offline, when it comes back online, and for how long it was offline for. I would also like to have a logged history as well.

3 Likes

I had a camera with a cord issue it would go off line and I wouldnā€™t know until I pulled it up to use and of course I would not be home. It would go dead wasnā€™t no reset had to get home unplug it plug it back in pain in my buttā€¦ I was wondering how about a notification for if one or your cameras go off line you would be notified via message. You could be gone out for the night power failed or just unplugged by accident. You would receive notification different from the rest letting you know something is wrong. If it is a feature out already I do apologize if not letā€™s make this happen.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe this critical problem isnā€™t fixed yet. Most other Wyze shortfalls are aesthetic or UX/UI problems. This failure to have notifications of camera outage defeats the purpose of buying these cameras in the first place.

Wyze team: Hire a security consultant to advise you with this basic stuff.

1 Like

Extremely well said!