Loss of Communication/Network Connection Notification & Log

Based on the email ad I just got for Wyze Cam PLus Pro, I do not think we will ever get this feature unless we buy the extra plan.

[Mod Note]: Cam Plus Pro has been renamed “Cam Protect”.

This is the implementation that I expected and I’m disappointed Wyze hasn’t even offered this.

Pinging every 10 to 20 minutes seems like it would cause minimum overhead and provide benefit for 80% of the use cases.

Why hasn’t Wyze done at least this much?!

Same…how disappointing

[Mod edit] Personal information from email signature removed. When emailing a reply to the forums, make sure to remove your email signature otherwise it’ll show up in your reply.

Get offline notifications from devices

I would like a way to be notified when my cameras or other devices go offline. I mostly have this issue with my Pan Cam V1s and my outdoor switch, but it has happened with other cameras. It usually just needs a power cycle, but I don’t have a way of knowing without looking at the app or looking at the blue flashing light on the cameras.

1 Like

Useful to log internet connectivity and power on/off together with other audio and video detection

Currently, I am living in a shared apartment and have a personal bedroom but a shared internet connection. When I go outside, I turn on my camera just in case to see if my roommate doesn’t enter my room.

Now there is a possibility that if he turns off the wifi router and enters my room then it remains undetected with my camera. Is it possible that Wyze Camera and App can also log internet-connected or disconnected logs and power on/off logs with timestamps in Wyze App together with other sound and video alerts? That would be very useful.

May want to find a new roomie if you’re that worried. Doesn’t matter whether it is legit or not, that’s a lot of stress and worry. Also, strongly recommend a MicroSD card. You unfortunately won’t get alerts but even a small card would give you peace of mind.

I am not worried about my roommate but thought that it would be a great feature for Wyze to add to their commercial product. If Wyze can detect loss of internet connection and log the timestamp in memory or SD card (as long as power is ON) then it can send the information to Wyze App when the internet comes back. As a hobbyist, I have built my own custom motion detection solution using a Raspberry Pi and OpenCV framework.

1 Like

Can the Wyze App Alert Me When Communication is down?

Simply, is there a way for the Wyze app to send me a notification when there is a power or internet outage and cameras can’t be reached?
Can it be set up to ping a device or something like that?

For example, if I were away from home and an intruder killed power to my home before breaking in, the cameras are rendered useless.

Is there any way to have the app warn me of an outage like that?

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.

1 Like

The Wyze app can’t do that ATM, although this Wishlist item is marked as being researched. Vote for it just above the first post! :slight_smile:

In the meantime, you would need a Ping app set to your external TCP/IP address. Last time I looked for those they were pretty crude, at least on the iOS side. But theoretically a Ping app would tell you if power was lost, or cables were cut. It wouldn’t help with individual cams, however.

2 Likes

I give up! This is elementary essential functionality it would be simple to implement. Wyze doesn’t care about its flagship product or its users otherwise this issue would have been addressed long ago.

I was an early adopter and an evangelist and promoter for Wyze but this isssue is so blatant and blaring and their response has been nonexistent. I give up. Moving my excitement and support to another solution provider.

Todd Jackson

| Newshound Forum Maven
June 6 |

• | - |

The Wyze app can’t do that ATM, although this Wishlist item is marked as being researched. Vote for it just above the first post! :slight_smile:

In the meantime, you would need a Ping app set to your external TCP/IP address. Last time I looked for those they were pretty crude, at least on the iOS side. But theoretically a Ping app would tell you if power was lost, or cables were cut. It wouldn’t help with individual cams, however.

There are hundreds if not thousands of items on the Wishlist, and every person thinks their request is elementary and essential. Wyze does try to make progress, as it evidenced in all the items that have been moved to completed in Roadmap. This one is being researched, which is a better status than most other Wishlist items have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Wyze app marks a camera as disconnected if and when it disconnects.

Can the app send a text message whenever a camera is disconnected? Maybe every hour text messages?

1 Like

I always figured it was initiating a poll of the cameras’ status when someone tried to view them in the list or view the camera directly. That is my guess, anyway. If Wyze server is saving the status of the connection, though, then yeah they should definitely let people setup a push notification on the app!

Just called support to ask this question. And the suggested to add it here :slight_smile:
I found my topic and see that it’s created 4 years ago and we still don’t have this feature. Voted with doubt. :confused:

Welcome to the line. :crossed_fingers:

At this point, 4 years on and 3 hardware versions later, I see this getting added to cam plus plus plus in 2025. It will be an additional $5 on top of camplus, & camplus plus.

1 Like

power on off log history

having access to a history of important events would be very helpful:
1 . when the camera lost/re-gained wif-connectivity.
2. power off & power on events
3. any other health status information the camera has (SD card issues, etc…)

My personal experience with the wyze cameras is that they are not very reliable in terms of staying connected and recording to SD cards consistently.
I have guests staying at my Airbnb, I think they unplugged one of the cameras and then re-plugged it in a couple days later… But this could also be just the status-quo of the quality and reliability of the v3 camera.
having logs such as power loss events would be really useful.

1 Like

I like keeping this thread alive, so a few responses. First and foremost, I really want this wishlist item to happen.

1. Wi-fi connectivity: This is ambiguous. It would not include Internet connectivity loss.
  2. Power-off events are difficult to log because the device literally lost power. Power-on is easier but is not necessarily non-trivial, Wyze cameras probably get the current date/time from the Internet, if a device can’t reach the internet then it’s sad day.
  3. SD card health sounds non-trivial, as well. Wyze cameras should be recording continuously so it’s entirely possible for the camera to think it’s recording properly but, in fact, it’s somehow corrupted. However, I absolutely agree that it should report SD Card removal or SD Card unwritable – those would be separate wishlist items, though. (Removal of the card is already on the wishlist)

My experience with SD cards has been different. I have had no problem with the two cameras using SD cards in viewing past video. Have you tried different SD cards?

Finally, on staying connected to wifi, we had to get a wifi extender to improve the reliability of our cameras. They were constantly disconnecting by the wifi extender fixed all those issues. It may not be your issue, but it may be something to consider.

Best of luck.

so why does the wyze doorbell notify when the internet goes out? My friend has one and she gets notified. I have many devices that notify me about this.

That’s awesome! I’m jealous and hope they can port that code to the cameras. I don’t own many Wyze devices so this is the first I’ve heard of outage notifications. I consider it a good sign that at least one Wyze device has the functionality.