It's time for Wyze to support RTSP (full integration)!

Whilst it sounds like a marvelous and reasonable idea/request. How do you expect them to stay in business afterwards? I mean they NEED the revenue from subscritions services to stay profitable.

They are not getting recurring revenue from me now, so how would adding RSTP be different? I don’t think you understand how their business model works. They make money on selling hardware and hope to make more money by selling Cam Plus. They sold cameras for quite a long time before offering Cam Plus. I think they can be profitable without a recurring / subscription.

With RTSP I’m not using their servers to watch recordings so I’ll argue they will be more profitable when I’m using RTSP rather then me only using their app to view videos through their servers.

If you take that away, which having RTSP would surely do, then what? Do you want to see them bankrupt in a year? Or are you willing to pay a license fee per year for RTSP?

No. I’m not willing to do that. At 2x the price, Reolink offers better cameras. At $20/camera, Wyze is useful for some limited applications.

Its not going to be “free”, choose how you prefer to support them.

Why? I’m starting to wonder if you know what RTSP is. They offer plenty of features for “free” (included in the price of the camera). Why would RTSP be any different?

I don’t think there is any risk of Wyze going bankrupt. They will be acquired within the next couple of years. That’s why they are introducing so many new products and pushing so many recurring subscriptions. They are trying to make themselves attractive for acquisition. They are not focused on the long-term success of the company or the long-term happiness of their users.

John

4 Likes

I don’t really know about how this would affect their bottom line and you don’t either unless you are in the company. You are guessing and you could be right, but who knows. I would pay zero for rtsp as many of my cameras already have it, and I would just buy cameras from other places to replace this v3. I am not hooked on Wyze and get more unhooked everyday…

following up to my Feb 4 inquiry to RTSP support.

still see it listed as ‘currently working on firmware’ (https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051619871-Does-the-v3-support-RTSP-)

planning to hold off to the end of the year for an update/firmware, but may need to consider alternatives at this rate.

I personally will not buy a wyze produce again. They stated that RTSP would work on cam2 products.
It does at times and then again it doesn’t work. Spent to much time working on these for the price difference of Reolink cams that do work. Putting out products for us to test for them. Not pleased with them at all.

Come On Wyze, Stop being so proprietary and give the customers the ability to integrate watching Wyze Cams on their preferred device / app and integrating with perhaps a mix of other cameras … especially ones that Wyze doesn’t have yet IE: Dome Camera or Nanny Camera etc. Stop making RTSP so clunky to update the firmware for. Should automatically be integrated on every camera and toggle it on / off as needed. Thanks !

3 Likes

A Plea For Better RTSP

In this age we are living in, having an affordable way to monitor ones home is huge. With the pricing on other systems, the cost of DVR’s and NVR’s and the cameras that go with them, it can cost a ton to be able to set up a simple home security system that is reliable. When I saw that Wyze supported RTSP on some of its cameras I jumped on the band wagon and bought a few.

Right now we have a Wyze v2 and 2 Wyze v3 all of which I have been able to connect to my Blue Iris program. At first it worked great, but after the server issues that have happened it has no longer been reliable. I also have 2 Pan v1’s that I plan on sending back at this point. (Also correct me if I am wrong, but from not seeing them on your site for purchase anymore, I believe that the Pan v1’s are no longer being manufactured?) Besides the packaging being a bit beat up when they came I wasn’t too worried. Didn’t take long to realize they had been heat damage before arrival. (This would most likely be on Amazon’s end I’m guessing since that is where I ordered from) I realized the issue when I tried to remove the lens protector. It was like it was glued on and I knew that should have come off with little to no effort. In the time I have had them they specifically are having harder and harder times staying even connected to the Wyze app.

The Pans aside however. I do believe that Wyze is on the verge of being able to really be a reliable and affordable system. I agree with the posts I have seen of creating redundancies. I believe that having them on Wyze’s end with servers through a secondary provider and location would help a lot. As well as people setting up their own redundancies in their own home. Even though I have things running through Blue Iris as I have been able to afford it I am adding decent MicroSD cards to the cameras as well. Having those redundancies is never a bad idea on both parts.

I really do suggest that Wyze should take the RTSP function they currently have in beta and bring it to the front line on all their recording devices. The camera quality of the ones I have working now are great. But the RTSP function of them could be greatly improved upon. A collaboration with Blue Iris and some of the other programs people use to home monitor from their computers could be fantastic for everyone involved. My cameras on my program cycle through “no signal” repeatedly sometimes multiple times in a minute. At that point it is useless for security because they can sometimes be down for up to a minute and then back down again with in 30 seconds of that. Sometimes its stable, but most of the time I have had to just minimize my program to not go insane watching them connect and disconnect and rely on going through the triggered footage and alerts.

I’ve noticed as well that even through the Wyze app the cameras since the server issues have not been all that “smooth” in their footage. I get to watch my family and pets teleport which is amusing at first but when it’s constant… stops being functional and then the affordable cost of the cameras is not longer affordable.

Wyze you really do have a good set up here. The cameras themselves are great in my opinion and the cost is amazing. It’s the other inner workings of the system that need evaluation at this point so that these awesome cameras can actually serve us as the customer. There are so many different situations out there that people are trying to work within, and believe me, I know you are not able to service all of them. Most people, however, do have a computer, and being able to run ones security system from there without having to trust in a cloud service or rely only on our phones and tablets and the app would be a huge help. Especially to the little guys who want to protect what they have. (Me being one of them) Even setting up your own desktop program that could utilize your cameras in the same way that Blue Iris does. You are in a fantastic position to make a difference in the lives of the people who have had to struggle for everything they do have. Who have had to save and save to get what they have. Only to have someone rob them blind and not be able to at least get justice. Your system could provide amazing peace of mind for everyone who uses or wants to use your products. I look forward to watching the companies growth and hope that some of these factors can be brought into that growth.

Thank you in advance.

6 Likes

I sure hope they bring back RTSP

There is a lot of interest in RTSP, RTSP could solely be a selling point of your cameras so I really hope you guys consider it in the future. I know multiple friends and family members alone that use RTSP with your older cameras and we have discussed how it would be nice to see it on the newer devices!!! Hopefully something can be done in the near future!! Id definitely upgrade all my cameras to newer ones if they supported RTSP! :pray:

2 Likes

I wish you would really listen to your existing customer base.
I’ve been a consumer and advocate for your “Cams” for some lengthy time.
Because of my praise for your cameras, I’ve personally convinced several people to join your consumer base. At least 3 dozen or more. But for now, I’m hesitant.
Through all the versions of upgrades, even the EOL ones,
I’ve stuck by your product.
You need to wake up and smell the roses! Inclusion of RTSP on your product is missing and it’s holding you back from advancing in the market with your new releases and revisions.
I have a dozen WYZE cameras active and only (2) still with the RTSP retrofit.
It is a requirement for me to further invest in any future upgrades.
Take heed !

1 Like

I second that motion. We don’t have a universal app to monitor all of our cameras in one place and the wyze app is only showing a total of 4 cameras. It’s 2022. Get with the technology wyze or get left behind when we all switch so someone who meets customer needs.

1 Like

I recently bought wyze on the recommendation of a friend. I’d hoped to use it to serve video to my nas, but the decision to defeature rtsp has me looking at alternatives to wyze. it would be nice to see some sort of statement indicating the intention of supporting the protocol.

1 Like

I soo agree regarding the need for RTSP support.
I just picked up a V3 and was (initially) thrilled as I started to initialize it - thinking “wow, they’ve nailed this”.
And then discovered there’s no RTSP support and whatever there was has been pulled.

I was prepared to go whole-hog and buy another 5-6, and shake my brother-in-law, telling him to grab these for his cottage monitoring in his own smarthome system.
But without RTSP, (I use BlueIris), this unit is useless to me and heading into the “garage sale” pile.
I just can’t have/support a wild-turkey-surprise assortment of cameras, apps etc. I have so much tech that it absolutely needs to be on standard that I can tie into my other tech (smart home etc.).
My cameras all tie into BlueIris, where I use their controls and detection features across ALL cameras.
And my BlueIris feeds alerts into my HomeSeer smarthome system.
I would pay more for this camera if it were an IP/RTSP camera.

1 Like

To further expand as an alternative to RTSP, maybe use WYZE could use the base station solution as an intelligent go between and build RTSP into it, allowing for further integrations with OPEN Source solutions.
Just saying there are different ways to skin the problem and address the demand from your customer base .

Wyze software is great but after using Blue Iris for years it’s important to me to have a local system in addition to my unlimited Cam Plus subscription. That makes RTSP very important to me. It puts my many Wyze cameras into a system with older cameras and an infrastructure I’ve built over the years. I think your success will be tied to how open you are.

Thanks for a great product line!

5 Likes

I am new to the RTSP discussion. My google home App. cannot stream linked wyze cameras on my iPhone 11, is this a common problem with wyze cameras? in other words, need to install RTSP firmware, the WYZE Beta.

I certainly agree - one does not want be reliant an an internet connection for anything related to security. And no cloud app can ever match the functionality of Blue Iris.

The trouble seems to be that Wyze’s cameras are so inexpensive that they can’t justify selling them if they can’t also sell cloud services to go with them. FWIW, I would be willing to pay more for a model with fully-baked Blue Iris compatibility and PoE.

1 Like

I used to use the RTSP feature on my V2s until I had streaming issues and it wasn’t on my pc or dhcp side. I had to keep regenerating a new url, even getting the same IP address, in order for it to work (Been several years).

I know that those seeking RTSP is more than likely a small subset of their clientele but by including it in the mainstream firmware that could bring my techie types, home automation types and even some small businesses onto their platform and potentially drive a new revenue stream.

I can understand not having RTSP built into the battery based cameras however any hardwired ones could easily afford the power to generate the stream.

1 downside I did notice with the RTSP when I was using it. It felt like the cloud server generated the stream and fed it as the video from the app was 1 or 2 seconds ahead of my local RTSP viewing stream.

^I would have my app open and VLC open on a computer with more than enough resources. Anything I saw on the app would then play a few seconds later on VLC. Almost like a live tv broadcast delay so there is no more indecent exposure during the Superbowl Halftime show.

I currently use V2s with RTSP in my collection of surveillance cameras around my business. They work ok if you accept the fact that IP addresses will change periodically. I held off on buying V3s to expand my collection until I saw evidence that they had made RTSP available, so I bought 4 units and SD cards for each. When I went online to get the .bin file I found a paragraph at the top of the page saying they were getting out of the RTSP business completely and I found no link to download the file. A web search revealed a site that archived demo_wcv3.bin, so I downloaded it followed the instructions to install it. Nothing - no purple light. The camera just resets and says “ready to connect.” Maybe my .bin is no god - I don’t know. I don’t care if Wyze provides support or not. Not having RTSP really limits the utility of these nice little cameras. Anybody know how to make it work on the four I bought?

I don’t know the specific details, but I do recall seeing a previous note about this and that you’ll have to rename the bin file to a specific name. I hope that helps narrow down your hunt.
Happy New Year!

If you find it, I hope you’ll let me know. I don’t care about any of the other bells and whistles - I just want RTSP without haveing to learn third-party software.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this myself and I have no idea if it’s still relevant, but here is something I found.
https://learncctv.com/rtsp-on-wyze-cam/
Good luck!