Ignore Motion Detection for events under X seconds

I just got a few cameras yesterday and I think in under 24 hours we had a few hundred notifications with very low sensitivity just because of lightning, bugs, dust, and rain.

I’m somewhat surprised this isn’t a higher priority (mayber-later at time of writing) since eliminating some of these false-positives or small changes would reduce the amount of storage required on AWS.

We set them up as security cameras, but after getting hundreds of notifications for rain drops or lightning my wife has already shut off notifications on them.

I think the best way would have it be opt-in/out and just have it ignore or auto-delete motion detection less than 1 second, and notify users if it lasts longer than that. I would sacrifice a few seconds between motion and notification for less than a 300 false-positive notifications.

2 Likes

its surprising to me too because my OLD Dlink cameras (which were the reason i made this thread) had this, as well as the newer TPLINK cameras. They actually have 1,3,5 second intervals, which is nice. if the TPLINK had an SD card, i would have switched them all over to them by now. they also have plugs (that dont burn up), in wall switches, and a nice app. only worry is they’re not US based :confused:

Don’t even get me started on spider webs. They shimmer…activating every 5 minutes.

1 Like

LOL! I feel your pain! Spider webs have been the bane of just about every outdoor security camera I have had to joy to work with. When they’re not triggering false motion alerts, the web reflection blinds the camera’s night vision as bad or worse than any window pane. Have tried dryer sheets, bug spray, evil chemicals and training people to walk around and gently clean the cams frequently with a very soft bristled broom. I believe the only long term low maintenance solution for some environments is to turn off the camera IR and place a separate IR illuminator some distance away. While even some pro grade cams don’t have this setting, Wyze does allow turning the IR off while leaving night vision on. An incredibly useful feature! :grin: But I definitely agree that the inability to ignore momentary events is a very annoying shortcoming that needs fixing! :face_with_head_bandage:

What about maybe being able to adjust that time as well. If you wish to increase that to maybe 5 seconds or something like that.

1 Like

yep, would be a very big deal considering the detection thing !! Hope they realize it’s important !

I just noticed this was originally suggested back in January 2019 and now has almost 900 users voting in favour of adding it. What does it take to get such a simple thing added to the software?

Wyze. Are you listening? With all the resources available to you, could you please stop one second activities creating 12 second event videos. They’re worthless and are the Achilles Heel of this product. How many times do you have to hear it? Think you’ve lost scope of your core product and your core customer base.

2 Likes

Wyze!

Hello? Anyone there? How can you by any chance go on selling those v2 cams with a (to be honest) [Mod Edit] motion detection (failing big time). It’s like you guys WONT listen/read our postings! That’s bad & sad!

#LookingForAnotherHWsolution. :wink:

/Unhappy guy!

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

If everyone submits all their sub one second triggered video clips, maybe they might notice it’s an issue. I’m going to start. It just takes one click onto the submit button. If just a fraction of users do this, it will be 1000’s more of useless videos brought to their attention. Obviously chatting here does nothing.

If they would stop making pointless junk (watch, scale, light bulbs, etc) they could focus more on the problem everyone wants fixed. It can’t be that hard to do. The feature is useless. There’s enty of other cameras out there that are in the same price point that can do the same thing.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. Lack of focus on their core product (video surveillance products).
Why try to compete in the scale and watch categories which are entrenched.

Especially with all the flaws like motion detection, person detection removal, embedded geo-fencing instead of relying on IFFT… … better support for families and sharing other “wishlist” items that everyone wants like an outdoor camera, Higher quality contact (V2) sensors with less false triggers or stuck states… temperature/humidity sensors that integrate in the platform, etc. All the resources should be poured into this space.

I totally agree. They should be perfecting their main product before introducing new ones. The facet that they haven’t fixed this issue or even responded shows that they’ve moved on.

1 Like

That seems counter-intuitive. They are trying to bring back a feature they were forced to remove (person detection) and you want to flood the AI with useless videos. This will just slow down their progress on that and keep them from moving on to fix other things. Just my opinion.

Very doubtful. If they want the videos to stop coming in, either turn off the submit button or fix the camera. Whether they were forced to remove it or not, it didnt work then, and it still doesn’t work.

Don’t put a feature on there asking for feedback it they don’t want it.

I’m really surprised the bean counters haven’t focused on this.
Imagine all the cloud computing CPU and storage costs for all these useless 12s videos.

If they did a cost/benefit analysis this is probably a single item that could save them alot of money, i’m so surprised they haven’t fixed it.

4 Likes

You mean they might have to actually pay attention to an obvious issue? How bold of an idea. Makes even more sense now.

1 Like

I don’t understand quite how it would work, most my motion events that are what I consider false, meaning branches and bugs last longer than 1 second. I went through all my videos for the last few hours and had none that would be solved by this, maybe that is what I am not understanding.

Most of my false reports are longer than 1 second as well. My request was 5 seconds. When watching my videos, I see my detection zone going off, then they stop, which is what it’s supposed to do. But all the false detection zone boxes only last 5 seconds or less.

Yes, 1s would reduce the number of false notifications, but I think there should be a user selectable time they’d like to set, up to a set number, maybe 5s or 10s. I want 5, others might want 3, and so on.

1 Like

The spider webs are an easy fix. Seems you’ve tried the most obvious. I had the same problem. I cleared the webs then soaked the area in Raid Yard Defense spray. It comes in a can and has a misting spray. (wear a mask, as if you aren’t sitting at your computer with one on now. lol)

If you spray the house down enough that you see the spray running down, you’ve sprayed enough. The spray will last you about 3 months before you need to reapply.

1 Like