Ignore Motion Detection for events under X seconds

I have this feature on my Dlink cameras, and its very helpful at night, when bugs / rain / snow fly past the view outdoors. Its a simple check box that notes that it wont send alerts for detection lasting less than 1s. figured it would be pretty simple to implement and would save us outward looking users lots of non-events.

I like this idea. It could eliminate many events triggered by a bug flying quickly through the frame.

I don’t know if this would be easy to implement, but if it is, it could save Wyze some cost for AWS storage of unnecessary events. There might even be options for 1 second, 2 seconds and 3 seconds.

43 Likes

I like this idea, too! :slight_smile:

When people are back from CES we’ll discuss it during the tagging meeting.

36 Likes

I too am frustrated by frequent false alerts caused by small bugs or even rain drops. Either lengthen the response time required like in the above suggestion or require that the pixel change area needs to be larger (say the size of a dog) before an alert is triggered.
You might even make that a variable so that we can adjust the size of the pixel area (maybe on a sliding scale) before motion detection, to suit our individual needs.

11 Likes

Please remember to VOTE at the top left of this thread. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great simple solution. Voted!

2 Likes

I think if you are going to implement something like this, you should go ahead and make it configurable. Rain has never triggered my cameras, but bugs are filling my events page. My questions is, Is a second too long? Should tenths of a second be considered? My bugs are crazy fast that trigger my events at night and I think most could be eliminated with a smaller setting.

10 Likes

This and the suggestion of triggering alerts basing on the size of motion are great idea! I hope we can have both.

If we can also set the upper threshold for the size of motion area (to avoid alerts of car headline, or sudden sun overcast) then it’s even better: the two lower and upper configurable thresholds can be % per field of view area

2 Likes

Bugs at 1" away from the camera are larger than cars at 20’, so size is relative to distance.

7 Likes

Voted FOR!
But in addition to this there is already a request to force IR off when in night mode for those of us who have separate IR lighting. That way bugs aren’t attracted to the camera in the first place and it allows people to have a camera inside looking out a window. Double win! Put these two features together and the cams get a lot more uses.

5 Likes

Vote for it here (be sure to click the VOTE button at the top):

1 Like

So what does the motion sensitivity slider setting do? I assumed it would “ignore” smaller/quicker pixel changes to reduce triggers based upon brief, small changes. However, I received many events notices yesterday due to clouds’ shadows yesterday, despite a low sensitivity setting…

3 Likes

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015211751-False-Alerts-Pixel-Comparison-Algorithms

Specifically:

There are ways to adjust how likely you are to receive a false alert like this. The first is the motion detection sensitivity slider in your Wyze Cam’s Alert Settings. The slider has a range of 1-100 and will adjust the percentage of changed pixels that are necessary to generate an alert. At the lower sensitivity levels (going toward 1), more pixels will be needed to trigger recording an alert video. At higher sensitivity levels (moving toward 100), fewer pixels have to be changed before an alert video is generated. Please note that this does not mean 1% of the pixels to 100% of the pixels in the image. You can still receive an alert even if you have the sensitivity set to 100 and not all of the pixels have changed. If you have been receiving too many false alerts, turning down the sensitivity should help

3 Likes

my understanding from my work, the Dlink and what ive seen from Wyze is its a % of change, and a % of area change, balanced somehow internal. so either large changes (black to suddenly very light) or large areas (clouds rolling over a sunny field) will set it off. So lower sensitivity means a larger change in either of those 2, higher means a smaller change before its set off. Im not sure how the time domain fits in, for wyze, but i have seen bugs (bright white streaks) that last only 2-3 frames set off the trigger.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I guess I could have searched better…sorry to make you do the work for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. Actually, I looked it up my self a few days ago, so while it was still fresh in my mind, I knew exactly where to go.

2 Likes

Yea I think you are correct.
Especially today. It is quite windy here and the trees are creating dancing shadows that all the cameras are going bonkers with. Since these cameras don’t use true motion detection but rather pixel changes, makes it even more important that some sort of pixel detection delay be incorporated into the software as the best solution. Maybe also allowing us the ability to adjust the delay…like we can with the sensitivity settings.

Yes, today wind is pinging my phone constantly with notices. I have 4 cameras outside or pointing out side so sun and wind is wreaking havoc. Today would be a good day to have profiles set for windy sunny conditions. Changing the sensitivity and/or detection zones on four cameras takes time. My events list will be long today.

Snow is a pretty big issue here, especially when the night vision is on, If it’s snowing at night, I am guaranteed to get pretty much constant sd card event recording with little green boxes streaking across the video. I wonder if it would be possible to combine the motion detection with an infrared detector in a future camera and have a setting that only triggers when both sensors detect something. The infrared sensing cameras I have do not trigger on snow, but the sun / shadows sets them off all the time during the day, when the wyze is completely unaffected.

YES! The only issue we have with our setup is that we get an alert from the camera in our garage when the garage door opener’s light turns OFF a few minutes after it closes the door. Voted!!!

2 Likes