Help or Panic Button/Pendant/Necklace

Personally, this would be used for my elderly parents who live on their own. I’m always worried they might take a fall and may be unable to call for help. Unlike many devices on the market that charge a monthly service fee, this one could use wifi to send a scripted text to a family member and call 911.

I’m visioning a very basic device that can be worn around the neck or wrist-something very simple with a couple buttons only. I was thinking, well all this can be done on a cell phone, but if they were to fall, I can’t expect them to remember all the steps to use their smartphones to call for help or send me a text.

Wireless bed alarm

I have and elderly parent. She is 102. Currently we are using your cameras in the house. I would like to see a wireless bed alarm be created. Current bed alarms have a range of 45 feet,

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

1 Like

New Product Idea: Life alert necklace or jewelry

Hello, I own several cameras, doorbell, watches, and more. But I want more.
We have my mother in law living with us now and want to keep her safe while we are at work. She is independent now but I would like a quick easy way to have her notify me if she needs help. Basically I would love a stylish doorbell necklace (or watch or pendant or bracelet or ring). Perhaps with a fall alert. I do not need it to work outside the home since we are together wherever we go. I prefer to not have a subscription service but that would be a nice option in the future. I am happy to be a beta tester. Thank you!

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged to this Wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button to show your support. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Geriatric Independent Living. New Device ideas.

@cookelaura

I am usually at the front of the Wyze bus banging my drum about how good their products are. I recommend Wyze, and own many of their products. A few neighbors have Wyze cameras due to my recommendation.

Understand Wyze is a Value Added Reseller, Wyze makes nothing. They source their products from a variety of manufacturers. For Wyze to introduce a new product, one of these manufacturers would have to have it in production or ready to go.

Recall years ago when Wyze had a kickstarter for their robot vacuum? The vacuum was already in production, sold by Xiaomi as the STYTJ02YM but without the mop feature. The kickstarter was to fund development of the Wyze firmware and badging.

That being said, and remembering the major outage recently, would you want your mother laying on the floor desperately pushing the panic button but no one was there to answer?

If this were my mother, I would go with a known reputable company that specializes in fall detection and alerting. You don’t want to go cheap.

1 Like

This, I think, is a good idea. Twenty years ago, a company called Bulbhead marketed something called 911 Freeway. It was a small lanyard style phone that only called one number - 911. What was great, other than the cost of the device, there was no fee for the call. (Calls to 911 are free, and work even on cell phones with NO service.)

If Wyze could capitalize on those idea, design a small device that connects to home’s WiFi and make calls or calls only 911. There would not need to be a carrier fee. (They would sell millions).

I’m with TomG on this one. I would not trust the Wyze reliability for something that was life safety.

@cookelaura

Samsung watch 6 is what my older mom is wearing. I personally tested the fall detection in front of her.

I did spend the extra money on the one with cellular connection (probably called LTE) so that it would work in case she forgot her phone.

She can talk to it and ask it to call 911 as well. It’s also setup to text me if the fall detection triggers.

Wyze will only ever be WiFi, and this watch will work anywhere there’s cell service…

The ultra proprietary company (Apple) may have fall detection on their watch too, but I’m betting you have to buy their specific fall and go through training on how to use Apple Fall as well…

1 Like

I saw that watch, and I was wondering if it worked if you left your phone at home by mistake.
A geriatric person could be out for a walk, and forgot his/her phone in the house, and this could be a lifesaver if s/he fell or was robbed! The phone is < $300 too for LTE version!
I love the idea of it sending a text to a list of folks in case the loved one falls.
Questions:
Do I have to pay a monthly fee (like $10 for a basic phone plan)?
Once it is setup via the app, will it phone 911 without the phone being in range?
Must you have a Samsung phone, or just an Android phone for setup/use?
Thanks very much!

1 Like

Help I have fallen and my Wyze Medical Emergency pendant won’t connect :rofl:

1 Like

Yes likely $10 monthly for an LTE watch.

Yes it can dial any number without being in range of phone if it’s LTE and there’s cell service. It’s literally an extra cell phone on your wrist, just harder to use via touch. Best to use voice.

The only thing that requires a Samsung phone is the ECG function, and that function requires you touch the buttons with your second hand to create a connection so it can read electrical through your body.

My mom uses one of my older Motorola phones with the watch. I also setup Teamviewer Quick support so I can take over her phone and control it (once she hits pop up that says yes ok).

I picked my watch up for her $100 from Xfinity… I personally wear the golf version for access to a program I wanted.

1 Like

I suspect as time goes on, many people will follow your progress on this topic as many will gain valuable insight for their elder too. We appreciate that you are sharing all this with us. Seriously appreciate.

Please continue to post info you think would help others. We will be following along.
And Thank You.

I use Kasa Smart plugs in between the Wyze cams at Mom’s place. That way I can keep them turned off via a totally separate service (I personally use Wyze plugs, just never the same brand plug and camera in case they access my account info when Wyze accidentally gives access). This way I can check the entire house if Mom isn’t responsive, but she knows they’re off most of the time (except exterior). Interior cams have led on, exterior it’s off.

Teamviewer installed on phone and Chromebook I bought her, so I can fix issues

On phone I installed Nova launcher pro as you can adjust the size of the icons to be bigger (tiny on mine).

I added one touch shortcuts to call me, her friend, her sis, etc. Same with texts. These are all on one of the home screens and she knows how to swipe back and forth.

Other screens have links to email I setup, plus ancient account with crappy service she still uses (18k unread emails from spam in that one).

Phone has assistant shortcut setup, and she understands enough verbiage to use navigation, make a call (hey Google call CVS), search for things, search YouTube… watch does same.

Also put Gemini on her home screen for searches (everyone should use this, or similar) as it just answers the question concisely and most of the time correctly without all the garbage spam ads that the Goog is becoming known for (formally Bard).

Smart TV setup and I add all the movies I think shed like into her profiles. Also setup YouTube with subs to thinks she’ll like so her feed in mainly documentaries.

Joint bank account paying all her expenses so I can help, and have any credit cards setup with online access and auto min pay (everyone should do this, never know when you get rear ended and are in pain for a month and toast your credit by not paying $20 min payment).

I also login to her Amazon account to help her do returns (she’ll text code), and then lastly set her up with a Kindle reader and Kindle unlimited since she likes to read.

The aforementioned watch is mainly for emergencies, but she does ask it stuff.

If you want to take care of holidays, buy govee permanent lights and install. Super simple, and you can control them from your house. Every holiday you can do a scene designed for it,…

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Reddit is a good place to get answers if you’re looking for specific things…

Thanks Jeff_CA!
Since it is IP68 rated, I guess you could leave it on 24/7, even when showering.
Great information, especially about the minimum Credit Card payment!
Something you hope never happens, but happens more than you think!

It is also a good idea to have the second key to the safe deposit box.

And don’t move 6 hours away from them when they are elderly and you are the executor then bitch about having to drive. Then charge their estate for the mileage and wear and tear on her car.

I feel better now.

With the recent security issues of other people viewing cameras, I would hate for someone else to activate my Panic Button.