Help mounting outside under eaves without drilling holes

I concur. I have magnets intended for hanging Christmas wreaths from a metal door and you can nearly chin yourself on them. One of those inside the soffit and its going nowhere.

1 Like

How about a magnet? I kept the magnet from a HDD and it holds anything (watch your fingers between two).

1 Like

I found it. This is the video I saw when I was looking up ways to connect the cameras under the soffit. Installing security cameras under eave with vinyl soffit - YouTube

2 Likes

Edit: Somebody beat me to it!!! Here’s a great idea on this video. I wish I would have seen it before I mounted mine.

3 Likes

I’ve soffit like that and just put a mount up and screwed into the holes in the soffit.

1 Like

These pictures of a mount I made might give you or others some ideas. This mounting plate is aluminum. It could be made from a thin steal so the magnet on the V2 could attach to it…

2 Likes

Curious to know how people are powering their camera’s outdoors. Hardwired, battery or solar? Just trying to determine if it’s worth drilling holes to run a power cable.

1 Like

Hello @bradenturner and welcome to the community.

I personally am running 5 outdoors, and have them wired in, I have not attempted the solar route although a few here have.

2 Likes

My outside cameras are hardwired as well. A little planing and you can usually find a spot where you can get power. Both my front and back decks have power below them. That made it easy to put cameras in the eves above the decks.

This is how we installed ours outside using a protective cover we purchased on Amazon. Working great. Found the video on yourtube you mentioned and love that we don’t have so many holes in soffit.

I used an old car license plate and bent it to hook under the siding and conform to the shape of the siding. Then just attached the mount to it. It can be moved to any section of siding.

7 Likes

There’s nothing that can’t be accomplished with a roll of duct tape :slight_smile:

So very true

Moderator Note: The email signature containing personal information has been manually removed from this post. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

I rent, so this is what I came up with. I attached a camera mount to a quarter inch price of wood. Then using DecoVinyl hooks, I placed the wood in the plastic hooks of the DecoVinyl. I drilled set screws to hold the wood in place. Once the DecoVinyl hooks slid under the vinyl siding, I placed another piece of wood between the siding and wood to prevent play/bounce of the camera. The camera is below my window and I ran the power through the bottom of the window. I live in Ohio and it has been out all Summer through heavy rains and storms.

1 Like

WyzeCam Vinyl Siding Mount on Thingiverse
I did not make these

1 Like

That is a great design…clean and easy installation. :smiley:

1 Like

A trick for using magnets on non-magnetic surfaces is to use a super strong magnet on the other side. I.e., put a magnet inside the gutter that will hold the magnet on the outside of the gutter. If you have leaf guards, you may have to unscrew a section to install.

Glue a small 1/16" or thicker steel plate [2.5 x 2.5] to the soffit or eave. The camera has a magnetic base so it will stick. Use Power Grab adhesive. You can freely adjust it. I install cameras under eaves without the shroud because there is no direct precipitation on the camera. Condensation is not an issue because the camera generates enough heat to keep the circuitry dry.

3 Likes

This seemed to be a great solution - Rivet downspout to install camera outside

1 Like

I riveted it to the downspout