Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

That feature would be nice!!

2 Likes

Yes!

I have a TP-Link (I think) cam that allows non-rectangular shapes, love it

2 Likes

See how Samsung has done it with their cameras. They allow up to 3 irregularly shaped polygons to mask out plants, busy roads, etc. That seems sufficient to adequately control what is recorded.

2 Likes

WyzeGwendolyn Wyze Team
March 13

Happy to say that we are researching ways to give more control over the detection zone shape.

Well

5 Likes

The way that TinyCam Pro does it, with a grid of boxes you can select/deselect, works well for me,

1 Like

Much needed, The actual effect of what you have now is very crude. I have a situation where there is a ridge line and below it is data and above is noise. I’ve yet to get it to successfully work. Either motion above the ridge triggers alerts constantly or nothing sets it off.

I just want to say to everyone at WYZE, you’re doing a great job! You are doing amazing things! It’s easy to see that you’re trying hard and trying to hire to keep up with the rigorous demands of your customers who often times sound off in a way that seems negative. Kudos for the necessary thick skin and positive attitude!

5 Likes

Make the detection zone more versatile. Instead of just four corners to adjust, allow multiple points to be moved. Such as six or eight points. The angle of the camera picks up too much with just a box shape. If it can be adjust with more points, it can eliminate more of these areas.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest to consider starting with multiple rectangular DZ’s:

1. Easier to implement than adding a new arbitrary shape DZ solution, and therefore faster to get a solution out.
  2. A user can create just about any shape they want with enough multiple rectangular DZ’s.
1 Like

4 corners are good just allow wyze to make the detection window smaller than half screen AND add INVERSE toggle so wyze can MASK specific motion zones/objects. Shouldn’t require much additional coding just tweaking what you have… BUT YOU GUYS DOING FANTASTIC JOB! I’m loving my cams!!! Best $140 I’ve spent in 2 years.

Or multiple triangles…

They already have a rectangular shape implementation, so it would be just a matter of adding a loop around it (of course a few other things.) This way, they could get a solution out quickly while they work on possible other shapes if needed. A new shape like a triangle, a pentagon, a hexagon, etc… as has been suggested by others may require more time to develop. I don’t know what their code looks like, but my guess this would be a faster workaround/solution. (Pretty sure they’ve thought of that.)

This is a real activity/detection zone screenshot. This is the camera I use for this location, which removes areas that has a lot of motion.

arlo detection area

1 Like

SightHound has something similar. It cut down false alerts/alarms drastically when I was able to customize my detection areas.

That’s why I like Eufy’s battery doorbell because it has the capability to make custom activity zones: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/VVmuptbkg_JP7dXNj4ECwx_WtLhGwvR6Obo1UGg5MxyGV0nwYL3y-6aHZlL0-6m_JFe6HX_JbEtZFF2_wCR-mWRlmcnIqFYaQoJHdBqqtg0GH1GT6lXytcW19Sve5ZlPNDDj8oJd

various examples: Unlock the power of eufy Doorbell - Motion Detection - General & Product Discussion - Anker Community

Yes please, points would be perfect. I have a front lawn light fixture (it replaces our street lights) which limits where I can detect. The light blinds my camera all night.

Allow for the detection zone to slide down to only about 1/4 of the screen like it was on older versions

My Swann security DVR system allows for a fully-controllable mask. This is very flexible.

Detection Mask

So do my Amcrests and Foscams.

Some feedback on my Wyze cam:
It would be handy if the motion sensor detection area was broken down into a grid of which one could select any size or combination on the grid rather than just a pure rectangle that can only be enlarged or minimized.
I would replace several of older webcams made by other manufacturers with your product were it not for the lack of this feature on your Wyze cam.

1 Like

Hi Gwendolyn

image.png

This seems to have been a rather popularly requested feature for Wyze cameras and one has seen customers provide suggestions about this for a rather long time now. Personally, I see it as a sort of no-brainer to implement. Can you, for the benefit of all your customers who follow this thread, provide some sort of transparent commitment from the Wyze management and development teams as to what the company will do. I used to work for Hughes Aircraft in the 80’s, which you probably do not remember, but it was an excellent engineering aerospace company founded by Howard Hughes. We would sometimes over-engineer proposals, giving the customer everything they asked for and then some amazing features that they had not. All of this increased costs and delayed prototype development. After losing contracts to competitors who modestly and quickly gave the customer what they asked for, we adopted the adage, In the life of every project there comes a time to shoot the engineers and start production. It’s pretty clear what your customers want. While there have been many recommendations regarding implementation, I think that those are more logical than conceptual. The concept is abundantly clear. I believe that if Wyze were to just pick a logical approach and spend a week to build it and a week to test it, you could push this out to your customers in very short order. Imagine the good will and customer loyalty something like that would generate.

Thank you Gwendolyn

Bruce Barnes

3 Likes