Google cuts Xiaomi

What is our risk with this?

1 Like

I don’t think we will have to worry about this issue. at one point people were ( rightfully) confused and thought that they were seeing a still photo coming from another camera ( it was a very small slightly blurry picture of a room) when starting a camera but it was confirmed by Wyze that the image people were seeing for a second was a stock image used by the company. this has since been fixed. that’s the closest that I know of us coming to something like this debacle.

2 Likes

Bam, I don’t pretend to understand all the technology that goes into the functioning of these, but it strikes me as odd that Google would shut these down because of such a simple mistake. I’d like to hear from someone with Wyze about this.

2 Likes

Fair enough I completely understand where you’re coming from.

1 Like

Xiaomi’s issues wouldn’t be connected to Wyze. They both use the same hardware manufacturer for some of their devices, but they’re not the same company, and their systems are different.

3 Likes

That is true, one doesn’t necessarily effect the other. I don’t think however, people realize how similar, if not identical in some cases the Wyze Camera is to Xiaomi hardware wise. I ran 3rd party RTSP firmware designed for the Xiaomi on my Wyze Pan cam as a test long before there was a Wyze option or I even started using this forum. It worked too, but I wanted all the Wyze features in the standard firmware.

Yes. Hardware-wise, they’re very similar. But the issue referred to in the article wouldn’t be caused by a hardware defect. Xiaomi obviously has some faulty logic somewhere in the servers that’s routing customers to the wrong camera feed. Wyze couldn’t be further removed from something like that. They have nothing to do with Xiaomi in any direct way, just like they have nothing to do with the UK insurance company (Neos) that has a similar camera. They just all license the hardware from the same manufacturer.

1 Like

We aren’t affected by this. We’re a different company and worked on our solution separately. Thanks for checking in! :slight_smile:

6 Likes