Ideas for Glass Break detection sensor

Absolutely! We had glass break sensors decades ago. They are quite useful when we are home and/or asleep. Windows - especially on garages - are especially vulnerable.
It seems to me it would be very, very easy to add that frequency to any indoor camera. Or simply create a new sensor. I would buy 3 on day one - plus go to home monitoring. Without it, nope. In fact, I just canceled my home monitoring system order,

2 Likes

Glassbreak detector for Home Monitoring

1 Like

I can’t believe this is only a “maybe-later”. It should be “we’re working on it now” Wishlist.

5 Likes

Need this functionality!

4 Likes

Window break sensors

No home security system is complete without window break sensors.
These definitely need to be offered.

4 Likes

Several other home monitoring services offer glass breaking detection. This will soon become standard. Wyze, please give this to us now!

Or just add glass breaking as another AI event on Cam Plus. This should be pretty easy to do, since you have already implemented generic AI-based event detection

2 Likes

It’s amazing that this is tagged as “maybe later” since this is the #1 reason we are going with a different home security service. We wanted to go with Wyze because we have a bunch of other products, but without glass break detection the entry sensors aren’t very useful for real home security, only for knowing if you left something open. Disappointed that we can’t go with Wyze for home security and will end up locked into a more complete service’s hardware.

3 Likes

I would like to elaborate on the concept of a Wyze glass break sensor. Because some people already have alarm systems in their house (which may or may not include a glass break sensor) and most people that have alarm systems in a 2-story house don’t have glass break sensors, it wouldn’t be revolutionary for Wyze to merely make a glass break sensor. What would be revolutionary would be to have a camera that was triggered to record by the sound of a glass break. I would venture to say that most people would not want to have a camera that constantly records the interior of their home. I think it would be beneficial to have one record when danger is detected though. A Wyze glass break-triggered cam would be a great addition to its product line. As far as I know, this hasn’t been marketed before. The cam would not be triggered by movement, only the signature sound of glass breaking. Your welcome :+1:

1 Like

I have several cameras with sound detect set at 10% just to detect glass breakage. Unfortunately, even at this low level, there are very many false positives due to other nearby noises. If an AI glass break detect feature were available, I could turn the sound detect off on almost all of my cameras.

Welcome to the Wyze community GregJoeson. This wishlist topic is for a new hardware sensor that detects glass breakage, not AI sound detection captured via camera. I see you already commented the same in the appropriate topic, “Glass Breakage Detection On Wyze Cameras”.

A hardware glass break sensor versus AI to detect broken glass are indeed different. Either would be very welcome, and either could potentially trigger a camera to record.

I am disappointed that Wyze isn’t taking detection of broken glass more seriously and elevating one or both of these feature requests. Breaking glass poses a far greater threat vector in my opinion than entering through a locked door.

Wyze, if you’re listening, please address this glaring vulnerability!

1 Like

Dmblum:
Unless you are using 3inch screws and a strike plate reinforcement a criminal would get in through your door much easier and much more safely.

@kayla72911 I hear what you’re saying, but the police stats in my city point to more smash and grabs in single family homes than break-ins through doors.

I’ll amend my point. Either a glass break sensor or a glass break AI event would address an important vulnerability that’s currently being ignored, which involves thieves breaking in through windows.

1 Like

I was really surprised how easy it is to kick in a door. The day I found out I went on Amazon and ordered the reinforcements.
But like you said. Both are an important part of home security.

Most of the research that I have been doing with alarm systems and police information in my city regarding home break-ins, most of what I’ve discovered is that most burglaries happen with people enter into homes through windows and they are breaking the glass and not entering through the doors. That said, I was wondering if Wyze is considering moving toward glass break sensors to pair with motion detection sensors.
I am surprised that most companies already have these and Wyze does not. I currently have the Wyze monitoring system and I wish glass break could be added soon for that extra layer of protection and peace of mind.

3 Likes

Definitely agree, on a glass break sensor, not the camera sound detection.

1 Like

It seems Wyze is not taking this seriously. It has been on the list for a long, long time. I have several Wyze cameras inside and out, their outdoor plug plus a doorbell and CamPlus. I would sign up for their security system tomorrow if a glass break sensor were an option. Otherwise the Wyze security system is a non-starter for me. It cannot be that hard. Other vendors have had them for decades,

2 Likes

I agree 1000%, Wyze really has no interest in offering a glass break sensor, and without it, Wyze can never be in the same league as some of the other solutions on the market.

I understand they did roll out a glass breaking sound-based AI event, but they aren’t making it available as part of the home monitoring service, so what good is it? instead they offer a mutually exclusive seevice, “Cam Protect”, so homeowners have to decide whether they’d rather some camera-based AI alerts which include glass breaking alerts or home monitoring? Crazy!

This should be straightforward. Sell me a sensor that I can attack to a window that detects if it breaks and connects to the Wyze Hub just like a motion sensor or entry sensor. In fact, this could simply be a new version of the entry sensor that includes a pressure sensor.

Please focus on home monitoring. That’s why most of your customers are here, not the IOT gimmickry .

2 Likes

Yes please! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glass Sense Detector

Device: Glass Sense Detector

Description: Detects if glass windows are broken as current Wyze Entry Sensors cannot detect when glass is broken.

Support: Current Wyze Sense Hub

Pros:
* Increased Security

Cons:
* More Expensive

1 Like