Garage Door Controller Open Door Action

I agree 100%. Give me the option. You can even make me opt in or out or whatever if it makes you feel better, but the security excuse is completely ridiculous if the open action is available to a lock you put on the front door. Eventually I’ll put enough effort into it to figure out a workaround, but that really defeats the purpose of buying the controller in the first place. Your “smart” controller is pretty stupid if it requires you to take more steps and put in more effort then pushing the button on the old remote…

2 Likes

Yeah - already tried that. All I’m trying to do honestly is open the garage door in a convenient manner from my car without the eyesore of a remote. The problem with what you are talking about beyond the voice pin is:

1. I need to ensure the Alexa App is running on my phone. (Don’t want the eyesore of an echo in my car)

2. I have an iphone - which unfortunately doesn’t let you respond to the voice prompt for the pin when the phone is locked, which happens whenever I set it down.

So basically what I got to work is: I drive up to the house and Alexa says, “Opening Garage Door. What is your pin?” and then I have to unlock the phone, at which point the prompt has timed out.

So basically between Apple and Wyze - something that should be easy isn’t. The really sad thing is I built my own arduino sensor for my other garage door that uses ultrasonic sensors to tell if the garage is open or closed and have that hooked up to Home Assistant. It works flawlessly. I just didn’t want to go through the hassle of building my own thing again, and I also thought the camera would be great to have for added security. I had no idea such a basic function would be such a hassle.

1 Like

I just got the Wyze garage door control, set up, I got it specifically so that I could open my garage door at certain times automatically, then only to find out when trying to create a schedule that action is not there. Tried to use the ‘help’ in the app to talk to someone, that was useless, luckily I found this forum,
It’s insane that there is no open action.

2 Likes

It was not included for security reasons, as with most GD openers. You must be present to open the door.

#1 - I believe I read somewhere that you can set the Wyze door locks to open on either a schedule or when you enter into a goefenced location. I cannot confirm this because I don’t have the lock, but if that’s true, then the “it’s for security reasons” it’s utterly idiotic. It’s unsafe to allow me to set up the garage door to open before I’m physically in the driveway, but the rest of the house is perfectly acceptable?
#2 - If you won’t allow it to open on a schedule, then allow me to set it to open by location. If it starts opening when I turn down the street, then that nullifies your argument that I need to be present for “security reasons”. I’ll be home. Additionally, it will provide the convenience that most of us were looking for when we bought the damn thing, I suspect there are very few people that thought, “Hmm… what can I do to add even more steps to opening my garage door? Oh I know, instead of just pushing a button on a remote when I get in the driveway, I’ll open my phone, open an app, select the garage door feed, wait for it to load, then press a button to make it open. That will make things soooo much easier!” I bought this so that I could either… Set it to open on a schedule, set it to open when I enter an area near my home, or tell my phone “Ok, Google, open the garage door.” None of those work, and it was specifically marketed as working with Google assistant, which to the best of my knowledge, it still doesn’t.
#3 - I’m a big boy. How about you let ME worry about my own security and determine for myself if this is something I want to allow the opener to do?

Edit - Newshound, I recognize that it’s not YOUR decision, you’re just trying to provide an answer so I apologize if this feels directed at you, it’s not. I’m just irritated at the fact that I’m only provided with half the functionality “for my own protection” and would like the things that are supposed to make tasks easier to actually make them easier.

1 Like

I vote yes to open action ( geo ref works well to close) other apps/door openers have this function.

1 Like

This link no longer works. :frowning:

1 Like

@lunaemica That topic was merged to Add More Actions for Wyze Rules - #664 by R.Good.

2 Likes