FW update pop up

Sometimes we can’t afford for such a large percentage of our users to dismiss the prompts even for just a few days. This is one of those times. I’ll definitely pass this back for urgent-but-not-that-urgent updates!

1 Like

An update for those still receiving the mandatory Firmware Update pop-up with no ability to access the Thermostat without updating:

The 1.2.5 update is a critical fix update to 1.2.4.a2. Rather than just push the update to only those on that version (who would have received this update thru Beta) Wyze has instead decided to push the update to ALL Beta Testers who have the thermostat designated as a Beta Device in Account → App Info → Beta Program regardless of the actual version of firmware on the device.

My thermostat was on Public Release 1.2.1 (May '22) but was registered in my settings as a Beta device. That is why I was getting the mandatory update pop-up. Removing my device from the Beta Program Device List restored it to operation and stopped the popup.

As soon as it is returned to the Beta Device List, the popup continues.

1 Like

I don’t have my thermostat on the Beta program , so why did I get the mandatory pop up?

I think I was on 1.2.4.a2 FW though , so maybe bc my device was on that FW it got pushed to my device …

1 Like

That is quite possible. I never saw an update for that version in my app. It was never offered for me to update. But I did follow the Public Release Thread for 1.2.4.2a so I could see how it was acting. You probably got it when it was first released before they paused it. Then 1.2.5 came out shortly thereafter with no notices or Beta at all. We still have Beta Testers who are still on ẞ v1.2.3 which was never released and can’t get updated beyond that.

Mine has been showing Beta version 1.2.3 available for some time now. It still shows 1.2.3 as the next available version for me until I disenrolled it tonight.

I believe all this confusion with all these different versions without any official published information reveals a clear narrative on the state of firmware development @ Wyze.

1 Like

The signal strength (number of bars) on your cell phone when a firmware update is due has nothing to do with the update. Your phone isn’t getting the update, the device is, and presumably it has a pretty firm WiFi signal. All you need is enough signal on your phone to tell the update to happen, and if you can open the app, you have enough signal.

1 Like

That is true but I only get 1 bar of signal at my job . When I am using the wyze app with that 1 bar , my events take forever to load and viewing my camera group and overall basically doing anything in the app takes a few minutes to load .

All I wanted to do was switch the hvac from hearing to cool . It would’ve taken 1 minute but having a FW update pop up NOT being able to be dismissed really threw me off

Once I was able to get WiFi , the update took about 10-15 minutes . And that’s with 900 mbps download and 20 mbps upload speeds with my WiFi…

I just wish we could’ve been given an option to finish the pop up , maybe once or twice so we can download the update at a later time …

1 Like

This would be great. At the very least, if the firmware update FAILS, you should be able to still do something. Mine is failing to update to 1.2.1 and I can’t set the initial temp plan, so my house gets COLD every night unless I remember to manually change it every nigh right now! I am going through support to fix, but still, this is a horrible user experience.

1 Like