Forum Operations Feedback Thread

I’m sure @peepeep would love to do another one of his famous surveys (though non-binding, they are still interesting, and can help give an indication of what people like).

Should be multiple-choice with lots of ideas if you do it Peeps :wink:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Whats wrong

When I die they will say of me on the forum only this:

He polled.

:woozy_face: :wink:

Later…

On this recent poll there was an unexpected (by me) reversal in sentiment over the weeks.

It initially reinforced my belief that most users prefer the Continous recording option of the cam’s SD card.

My ultimate conclusion: the ‘usual suspects’ (most active forum folk) probably do. As more ‘normal’ folk trickled in, the poll evened up.

I consider this conclusion conclusive and find that no further study is needed. :slight_smile:

A couple of reasons. It would create too many categories for the organizational benefit of categories. And with products being added all the time, it would create too much forum maintenance work. We feel that products tags fulfill the need.

2 Likes

So I’ve experienced navigation issues on this forum for ages and can’t believe I’m the only one. When navigating back from threads to the top level screen, the page displays as if it’s been scrolled down approx 3 screens worth vertically. More recently now I’m noticing this also happens when navigating from the top level screen to a post.

Am I really the only one? Using Chrome on android and chromeos, and also firefox on chromeOS showing the same behavior. I’ve not experienced this with any other discourse sites. Thanks

1 Like

I’m not able to replicate this. Which top level screen are you navigating back to and how are you doing that navigation?

1 Like

From top level of the forum at forums.wyzecam.com, clicking a topic to navigate there, and then the back button to go back to forums.wyzecam.com. I’m attaching a screen recording of this in an incognito window. There are no extensions enabled for incognito. This behavior is also the same on my linux desktop using chrome.

I suppose this could be cookie related. Have you tried it when not in incognito mode?

If that doesn’t help, I’d suggest searching/posting on meta.discourse.com to see if anyone else is seeing this.

2 Likes

Well cookies are fully supported in incognito mode, so the point of using that was only to emulated a fresh browser install for you. I’d recommend you retry in incognito if you haven’t done so.

It’s not important enough for me to spend any more of my time, but just can’t believe no one else has been annoyed by this. I just tried this in windows 10 using Edge and same behavior. Just bizarre.

1 Like

It’s not related to incognito mode. I just ran your scenario via Chrome and Firefox (not using incognito) and see the same result as you. But if I log in to the forum, the issue disappears, incognito or not.

3 Likes

Interesting. Firefox and Windows and logged-in and I still get the described behavior. Been that way a long time for me.

After clicking ‘back’ to the topic list and scrolling up I find that the topic is ‘flagged’ - so the programming ‘knows’ which topic I’m returning from apparently…

My workaround has been to right-click > Open in New Tab, close the tab when done, and you’re back to the topic list at the point where you started.

2 Likes

I’m on a Mac so I can’t replicate your environment. It didn’t do it for me in Chrome on Mac, but again, different environment.

1 Like

Thanks to you and Seapup for confirming I’m not cracking up! Yes, it’s been like this a long, long time at least for the back button behavior scrolling down and I’ve done similar to you sometimes in the past with new tabs. Just extra annoying now as clicking into a thread from the top page does the same scrolling down. Interestingly, though, if a thread is opened into a new tab, that doesn’t happen.

Well, I guess the non-clunky answer now is to buy a Mac. So I’ll be opening into new tabs…

3 Likes

I’m unable to change my name, and have been here for a while. If you could please change mine, I would like “IEatBeans”. Thx!

MODERATOR NOTE: Formerly @KyGuy2002

4 Likes

Got it! :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

4 Likes

Actually, the forum prevents changing of username if it’s been registered for longer than a specified time. The Discourse default is 3 days, but we have that overridden to one year. That’s why KyGuy2002/IEatBeans could not change their name on their own.

5 Likes

Thank you for answering! I’ve been meaning to ask that question for a long long time. beer2

4 Likes

Greetings all!

Posted a new topic pertaining to the Android app Push Notifications. Quickly realized that there was no category or tag available to me for Android App, Notifications, or General Troubleshooting.

There are available in the Category\Tag list… Why aren’t they available from the post creation dropdown list?

1 Like

I lobbied successfully (asked) for the ‘rules’ one oh I donno nine months ago and what ‘8’ total instances ‘3’ of which is probably me.

All my rules have been sweet and lovely (almost) ever since. Maybe the asking and granting is what did it?

Things can be more mysterious than you think. :slight_smile: