Forgotten Sensors (dead batteries)

good presentation of your position. i just call the you get what you pay for crowd ‘wyze apologists’ who will blindly defend the company under any and all circumstances. after all, only the rich are entitled to consumer protections.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call myself a “Wyze apologist”, but I will continue to use their cameras. I have not tried the one that moves around, but their fixed camera is worth the $25 they charge for it. I have not had significant problems with the cameras. Occasionally one might not reconnect to WiFi after power down, and require a second power down to reconnect successfully, but that’s only on occasion. The sensors/bridge are where I’ve had problems. Those are too unreliable for me to consider purchasing again, unless I hear that positive changes have been made in their design. There are a bunch of other new Wyze products that are being marketed, but I haven’t really kept track and I don’t even know what they are. My hunch (right or wrong) is that these new products are probably similar to the sensors/bridge in that they are more in the experimental stage than the ready-for-primetime stage. These new things are kind of like Taco Bell offering chicken sandwiches. Just stick with what you’re good at (debatable) … tacos, and leave the sandwiches to Chick-fil-A.

4 Likes

Also known as Implied Warranty of Merchantability Law where the policy behind the implied warranty of merchantability is to motivate the seller to ensure the product’s proper performance before placing it on the market.

2 Likes

The sensor is designed to operate down to the freezing point and no lower. That makes it useless for most outdoor applications.

1 Like

This type of “required” workaround to use a product is unacceptable. I understand there is an investment in an eco system that no one wants to abandon so it is at least great wyze has this forum to allow info sharing, but my opinion is the unreliability is too great and wyze is derelict in customer responsibility to ignore the issue for so long, especially when we all can see them pouring resources into low demand products. Anyway, I’m thankful to have found these forums to “educate” me before I became any further invested because I just can’t afford to try a bunch of brands until I find a reliable ecosystem.

3 Likes

Generally flaunted by too many of these new tech companies it seems.

1 Like

I’m in the exact same boat. I replaced my batteries on my two sensors when I noticed them getting low. However, they wouldn’t reconnect with the bridge after replacement. Tried deleting them and adding them back but the bridge never finds them. Did the power cycling for the camera and unplugged and plugged the bridge back in several times, to no avail.

Combine that with notifications not following rules, persistent lock issues, and cameras not functioning as advertised; I’m starting to feel disenfranchised by the entire Wyze ecosystem.

2 Likes

Welcome to the growing crowd! I was planning on a sensor kit until I started reading more on the fb group and on here. Unfortunately, there’s millions of potential customers completely unaware of these issue who will take some time uncover the failures. Can only hope wyze gets on the ball and fixes the issues before the avalanche buries them.

1 Like

Join the club!

2 Likes

I have another one with a dead battery that I forgot about. I am sure it’s bricked!

2 Likes

Yep, I too have experienced the fallout of Wyze products! Needless to say, disappointed. I made the mistake of purchasing 3 of the 2nd gen cams and a single pan cam, along with 4 kits of sensors with bridges, door sensors and motion detectors . Currently sitrep 1st cam wont connect and all door sensors have failed, not batteries, tests conclusive, its failure by poor quality Wyze products represented as good while the cust svc diagnostics and procedures currently failing the company into oblivion. Suggest someone call the founders asap to inform them how miserably the company staff are failing them! Email me how you plan on correcting this fubar
[Mod Edit]

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

This is not true. I’ve had batteries die in all 4 of my contact sensors and none of them have been “bricked”. Make sure that the batteries you are putting in them are actually good and can supply a decent amount of current, If you bought the replacement batteries off of amazon, they are probably already nearly dead by the time you got them. After replacing the batteries in the sensors with good batteries, the sensors might take a while to show up as online again in the app, Usually no more than 2-3 minutes, but one of mine took around 8 minutes to start reporting it’s status again, so ymmv.

tl;dr: Use good replacement batteries from an actual battery store. Do not use the cheap garbage batteries you can get off of amazon, which are often either counterfeit, expired, or both.

Whenever I have a contact go offline I restart the camera from the app and the contacts come back online immediately (the image in the app does not always update right away). This last time I physically unplugged the camera hoping that would restart the bridge and fix my problem with contacts going offline every week or so. Battery life has not been a problem for me with my contacts. I am assuming the problem is with the bridge not the contacts themselves.

1 Like

It is probably very likely this issue depends on the particular build. If there is a design flaw, it was probably fixed at some point. In could even be just a bad batch of chips…

The sensors that died, I tested several ways. Restoring power will not bring them back online. The lights won’t even flash. They are bricked. It doesn’t seem to happen if you swap the battery right away. So it is probably something like NVRAM that degrades the data stored over time without power being supplied. As such you can safely test even by swapping batteries from a working sensor, so long as you swap back in a timely manner.

1 Like

Hi @BlackSheepTxRx! Thank you for starting this thread and sharing your solution. Can you please share your sensors’ MAC addresses with me? Let me ask the engineers look into the issue you are experiencing. Thank you!

2 Likes

While I have to admit that the only reason I purchased the cams and bridge kits with bridge, motion detector and door sensors was because my wife had been viewing the ongoing Crosby family adventures on youtube, the purchases I made occurred when the Wyze products began to be offered thru Home Depot. I placed a great deal of value in Mr. Crosbys integrity so I made the purchases. I ready had a god idea for cam placement so I implemented it, by locating 3 of the Wzse cam 2s outside at covered locations with a 360 cam located inside. I further used the bridges on 2 outside cams and 1 on the 360. I applied foot detectors to the inside of 3 outside doors, plus a rear and front motion detector as well. It seemed ideal for a while. I also purchase a couple plugs that I returned as they never worked.

Hi @Jeffduf23! I’m sorry the sensors have been giving you troubles. Did your sensors get back online? Do you happen to have MAC addresses of the sensors? If yes, can you please share them and your Wyze account email with me via private message? Our engineers are looking into this issue. Thank you!

I still have been dealing with putting back up one of the cam v2 that I have in a covered outside location, trying to get it to come back online will try that when the weather improves and I get the ladder up. I wont try to use any of the sensors until I get the cams all working again. The mac Id is 2C AA BE : 77: 41 : 1E while the sensor bridge I will be using is model WHS81
MAC 7798AF93 , the other bridge that I am returning to Home Depot in their kit is
Model WHS81
MAC 7793EO6A along with motion sensor WHMS1
MAC 77986527 and two door sensors. The bridge sensor and the motion sensor no longer work while I am attempting to use the bridge I had on the 360 cam and the motion detector I hadn’t used yet! Guess I’ll be able to do that in a couple days!

1 Like

Got it! Thank you! (I hid your email address and personal information so it’s not exposed in public.) @hedtke

1 Like

Well climbed the ladder, put the cam w/bridge back into position, The mac Id is 2C AA BE : 77: 41 : 1E with the sensor bridge using is model WHS81
MAC 7798AF93 , after powered on, pushed the little on switch, heard chime then “ready to connect”, checked phone app, states not connected, cant get past this. Frustrated, any suggestions?