Floodlight gets triggered by rain

I have noticed on rainy days that my floodlight will get triggered by the rain all night long , even when the floodlights been set to only turn on when motions been detected by the pir sensor and sensitivity to low

My old dumb floodlight was never this sensitive…

1 Like

Did your old floodlight have a V3 cam with IR light emitters flooding the zone and painting every one of those raindrops with IR so it reflects back into the PIR sensor like a mirror?

Try turning off the Cam IR emitters and see if that fixes the false PIR activations in the rain. If it does, it will confirm why the PIR is overly sensitive.

2 Likes

No

I will try that , that actually might be the fix !!!

Will report back in a few days and weeks time to see how well it does…

Remind me again what the ir emitters do ???

2 Likes

The IR emmiters are 4 little LED IR flashlights on the face of the V3 pumping out non-visible infrared light on two different wavelengths.

Since the V3 depends on an IR filter over the lens for it’s black and white night vision, it has to pump out this IR light to illuminate the field of view so that the cam picks up enough of the reflected IR light to render an image. It is the exact same concept as the LED flashbulb on your phone camera or the lights that photographers use… Except with non-visible spectrum IR light.

The problem arises when there is a Passive Infrared sensor that is designed to detect IR light. When enough objects (like rain, bugs, webs, fog, smoke) get close enough to the sensor reflecting all that IR light back, it is the mirror effect. The sensor is flooded with exactly that which is supposed to set it off.

Using active IR emmiters and passive IR sensors together is a delicate balance. It is an art to get them to the 90% solution. Add to that the relative inability to fine tune the IR emitter levels and it makes it more difficult. But, these settings are still a static combination in a dynamic environment. They cannot dynamically adjust to the 10% when the surrounding environment throws a curveball.

The problem is that if you shut off the emitters, your IR night vision will probably be extremely dark. But, it will confirm that the two are in conflict.

3 Likes

So will my night vision still work ?

Probably not. But if you could live without it for 1 night to test the theory, we could work from there.

If you could setup a seperate IR emitter away from the PIR sensor, facing away so it still illuminates the camera view but not the sensor, that maybe could work.

I’m my yard I have some dim outdoor fairy lights hanging, for people it’s very dim, but the cam loves it and has full color night vision all night

Beans is correct.

A Passive IR sensor, by design, is going to be overly sensitive in Active IR light. Everything in the field will be reflecting Active IR light back into the sensor. Changing the proximity of the IR light source will reduce that IR reflective sensitivity because it will not be as intense from a distance, but it will still increase the sensitivity of the PIR because everything in the field is bathed in IR light.

Changing the angle of the IR source would also be beneficial as to deflect the light rather than reflect it directly back to the PIR.

But, in the end, the PIR is doing exactly what it is designed to do when there is no IR source except for the heat emitting object moving in the sensor’s field.

2 Likes

I will try it out

I need night vision though

It’s just been 8 months of dealing with this terrible overly sensitive pir sensor and I still can’t find the best setfings , it’s probably my least favorite wyze product and most unreliable

I hope this is able to fix this , will report back in a few days

3 Likes

I believe this fix worked !!!

I turned off the ir lights and have not had 1 single false motion light activation, yet.

Usually I get about 2-3 a night but none so far

It rained tonight tonight and I had the live feed of my v3 open and it didn’t detect the rain droplets bc of the ir lights being turned off and no false motion light activation

Luckily where I have my v3 at , theirs a city light pole in frame so it’s not that dark but why did wyze engineer it this way?

They engineered the camera with the floodlight pir sensor , this is wrong

It should be camera and pir sensor SEPARATE

2 Likes

You must just have yours in the perfect (or maybe worst?) conditions for this, as I and seems most others haven’t had these issues. Really any floodlight cam could have this issue, as there’s no way for an all in one device to prevent this.

Glad it’s working for you now though, your finally getting less cursed!

Many others experience this issue , constant false motion light activation

This is wrong , I have had the ring , eufy , and google floodlight cameras and all never had a single issue because they made the camera and pir sensor SEPARATE

Wyze engineered the floodlight pir sensor and the v3 together .

Which is why when I had my floodlight set to only turn on when motion is detected by the pir sensor my floodlights still kept getting triggered by rain droplets , spider webs , bugs , etc that cause a mirror effect bc of the ir lights . So turning off the ir lights helped reduce that over exposure . But I shouldn’t have to turn off the ir lights to reduce false motion lights activations as the camera and the pir sensor are engineered together ! I need night vision

The wyze cam floodlight is a fail

1 Like

Curious how the Ring, Eufy, and Google floodlight cams are separate, it’s still a camera, PIR sensor, and IR lights on a chunk of plastic.

Anyway, if you have any ideas please add them to the floodlight v2 wishlist thread!

Yes , but they are separate to each other . Camera and pir sensor are separate. With the wyze floodlight ,camera and floodlight are engineered together

Like I’ve said , Wyze has engineered the camera to the pir sensor making it all in one .

The other floodlight cameras never had this issue because they were all separate to each other . The camera and pir sensor were separate.

Don’t take my word for it , Wyze support has confirmed this to me…

I doubt we’ll ever see a v2 floodlight

Please read slab slayers comments on the post as to why the floodlight would get triggered by rain . He explains it better than me

1 Like

I am glad that it worked for you and that there is still enough ambient visible light to use Color Night Vision.

I had the same struggle when I installed my V3 cams directly over 2 existing PIR ‘dumb’ floodlights. They battled each other in a constant on\off feedback loop all night.

I don’t think it is so much an issue of design as it is adjustment. I don’t know how the sensitivity adjustment on the Wyze PIR works as I don’t have one, but my lights have a 0-100 sensitivity dial so I was able to reduce my IR to low and dial my PIR lights back to about 25 for them to get along. It took over a week of adjustments to dial them in.

I would prefer to see a greater adjustment range in the cam IR emitters.

2 Likes